Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Instrument panel refuses to move

mickburkesnr

In preparation for a long journey tomorrow, I decided to fix the light bulb that's blown on the instrument panel on my E11 Corolla (1998 vintage).

ive got the surround off, unscrewed the three screws holding the instrument panel to the dash, and I go to pull it towards me and it's not moving. It comes out a little bit, but it's like something is behind it has tied it to the dashboard. I've checked the wires as best I can and none of them feel like they have any tension on them when I pull. There is nothing either side of it, there's nothing under it. So it is Sod's law that whatever is holding it back is in a place I can't see or feel.

So what can I do? I don't know what's behind this panel and I know there are important wires behind it. Do I use brute force and pull it towards me or have I missed a step? Every video I have saw on the subject doesn't mention what I'm experiencing, and all of the wires seem to be at the top. None directly behind it.

More info on this.

Decided that I should try and apply some pressure and pull it towards me, not yanking it, and it has come forward a bit more. I have managed to take the slimmest of peeks behind it, and I think the speedo cable is the culprit! Is there anyway I can give this some slack to allow me to get the cluster out of the dashboard?

Rightio, this is what they don't tell you in the guides!

The cluster on the Toyota Corolla and be EITHER an all electrical cable affair, or - like mine - electrical cables and a speedo cable. There is no give with the speedo cable, and try as I might to unscrew it in the engine bay it just wasn't going to move. So plan B was in order.

I decided to take off the head unit for the stereo, I needed to re-wire it anyway. I just about managed to put my hand in the hole that the head unit sat in, and get around to unclipping the speedo cable from the cluster. Off came the cluster, and I managed to change all 4 bulbs to lovely white LED ones. The speedo cable was a bit of a pain getting it back on, as I have "shovel hands" as the girlfriend calls them, so it was a tight space. Anyway, plugged it back in, put it all back together, and tried it out on the road. The lights are on, the car is telling me it's doing 30mph when I'm doing 30mph, so everything is grand.

Now, to hope it can make the journey from Stourbridge to County Mayo! It will, of course it will :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Now, to hope it can make the journey from Stourbridge to County Mayo! It will, of course it will :)

I fear that journey may be easier than the journey Sam Maguire has to make.:blush:

19 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Rightio, this is what they don't tell you in the guides!

The cluster on the Toyota Corolla and be EITHER an all electrical cable affair, or - like mine - electrical cables and a speedo cable. There is no give with the speedo cable, and try as I might to unscrew it in the engine bay it just wasn't going to move. So plan B was in order.

I decided to take off the head unit for the stereo, I needed to re-wire it anyway. I just about managed to put my hand in the hole that the head unit sat in, and get around to unclipping the speedo cable from the cluster. Off came the cluster, and I managed to change all 4 bulbs to lovely white LED ones. The speedo cable was a bit of a pain getting it back on, as I have "shovel hands" as the girlfriend calls them, so it was a tight space. Anyway, plugged it back in, put it all back together, and tried it out on the road. The lights are on, the car is telling me it's doing 30mph when I'm doing 30mph, so everything is grand.

Abit off topic but my late father was from Mayo, a town called Westport.

Any pics of the speedo with the new led's?

On 07/10/2016 at 8:33 AM, scoobyblue said:

I fear that journey may be easier than the journey Sam Maguire has to make.:blush:

Alright Joe Brolly pipe down, we'll see you next year! :P

On 07/10/2016 at 2:38 PM, SanaYusuf said:

Abit off topic but my late father was from Mayo, a town called Westport.

Any pics of the speedo with the new led's?

Same as, except my old man was from Mayo Abbey outside Balla. We could be related! I'm going to take a pic of them tonight and I'll show you. The bulbs were brilliant actually, bright but not dazzling. There is a hint of green still on the dials, but it was much clearer anyway.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, mickburkesnr said:

Alright Joe Brolly pipe down, we'll see you next year! :P

wrong county, Tir Eoghain Abu

15 hours ago, scoobyblue said:

wrong county, Tir Eoghain Abu

Ah I know, just Joe Brolly has been unusually negative about us this year.

Well I say unusually, he says this stuff to get noticed.

7 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Ah I know, just Joe Brolly has been unusually negative about us this year.

Well I say unusually, he says this stuff to get noticed.

the last thing I would be is negative about mayo, I thought they did brilliantly and were unlucky not to go the whole way. they certainly prooved a lot of the so-called pundits wrong and I think they will be a force to be reckoned with next year.as for joe , he is a barrister so running off at the mouth is prerequisite and as you know is nicknamed Salman Rushdie in your home countywacko.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links