Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lower milage in cold weather?

nielshm

My Auris 1.2 multidrive has now done 10.000 miles. The last week the weather has changed, and temperature has dropped 6-7 deg. celsius. I experience rather bad fuel economy, compared to the slightly warmer weather in september. The engine is fully warmed up over 15 miles, and I the best economy on a flat road is 18 km/liter or 5,55 liter/100 km. If the weather is warmer, 4,55 liter/100 km is quite normal. Why? What is going on? I must admit, that I'm worried about really cold winther weather, if I experience  such a difference at this time a year. 

it is normal for fuel economy to suffer in colder weather as the engine will take longer to achieve working temperature. If you are only doing 15 mile trips then it will not be at optimal for a larger % of the journey.

are you using lights, aircon/heating, demisting more as well?

To understand your figures better I did a quick conversion to miles per gallon using 4.54 = 1 Imperial gallon and 100 km = 62 miles.

So 4.55 litres per 100 km = almost 62 mpg.

5.55 litres per 100 km = 50.8 mpg.

Quite a drop but still mighty impressive compared to the likes of what I get.

Are these figures from your onboard computer?

What's your average speed?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Here in northern Finland it is already -5 celcius and normally during december - march it is not uncommon that the temperature drop below -25 or even -30 celsius.

Currently my 2015 Auris TS has 8000km on it. Last 700km which I've driven in -5 celcius Im getting figures like 7.5l/100km dunno whats that in MPG but it feels really low opposed to what I think it should be.

Now I am planning to use an old trick for petrol users here and change for higher octane fuel to get better cold starts and better mileage in cold conditions. It is a turbo charged engine so  it is commonly known to benefit from higher octane.

Then again it is an Atkinson cycle engine too. And I am concerned that higher octane could do some harm for the engine?

Warm seasons 95E10 is popular fuel here and during winter the 98E5 is most commonly used, and for that I am also planning to change.

-Antti Päätalo

Finland

Forgot to mention that I drive mostly  urban driving and motorway figures are 5.8/6 l/100 normally

-Antti

Rainy weather can also cause fuel consumption increase due to more drag between wheels and road surface.

Using more electric appliances in the car would; i guess, make the consumption a bit higher too.

Cold engine uses more petrol. 

Real cold start (0 degrees for example) is using more petrol than a start at 20 degrees. See your rev's usually being higher and for a longer time.

• Like 1

When the air is colder, it is more dense. More fuel is added to give the combustion, the same bang and that is the reason for poorer economy in colder months.

My Auris Hybrid Tourer is now down to 55 MPG from 62 in the summer, happens every year, Hybrids much prefer the warmer weather ;) 

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

My Auris Hybrid Tourer is now down to 55 MPG from 62 in the summer, happens every year, Hybrids much prefer the warmer weather ;) 

You can say that again, I remember in summer while in Germany. Decided to try EV mode and it manage to go faster before deciding excessive speed, than back home. Thought I had broken it :biggrin:.

I just had new winter tyres fitted. And what a dissapointment!

First of all, they are noisy. Next, they use a lot of extra fuel, I would say fuel comsumption has gone up by 7-10% after the tyres has been fitted. They are the same size as my summer tyres. Does new tyres have to be "broken in", and will noise level and fuel economy improve after a while?

Are you sure that all the increase is down to the tyres & not also the colder weather?

Yes, it is possible that different compounds & more tread blocks can increase fuel consumption plus the new tyre will have a slightly larger rolling radius than one that is in need of replacement so needs fewer revolutions to cover the same distance - I don't think that the odometer is clever enough to compensate. What tyres did you fit?

3 hours ago, nielshm said:

I just had new winter tyres fitted. And what a dissapointment!

First of all, they are noisy. Next, they use a lot of extra fuel, I would say fuel comsumption has gone up by 7-10% after the tyres has been fitted. They are the same size as my summer tyres. Does new tyres have to be "broken in", and will noise level and fuel economy improve after a while?

Bet you won't be disappointed with them when you have to stop on a slippery road in an emergency :wink:

• Like 2

On 3.11.2016 at 10:12 PM, Antti said:

Hi

Here in northern Finland it is already -5 celcius and normally during december - march it is not uncommon that the temperature drop below -25 or even -30 celsius.

Currently my 2015 Auris TS has 8000km on it. Last 700km which I've driven in -5 celcius Im getting figures like 7.5l/100km dunno whats that in MPG but it feels really low opposed to what I think it should be.

Now I am planning to use an old trick for petrol users here and change for higher octane fuel to get better cold starts and better mileage in cold conditions. It is a turbo charged engine so  it is commonly known to benefit from higher octane.

Then again it is an Atkinson cycle engine too. And I am concerned that higher octane could do some harm for the engine?

Warm seasons 95E10 is popular fuel here and during winter the 98E5 is most commonly used, and for that I am also planning to change.

-Antti Päätalo

Finland

Hi

I also live in Northern Finland.

I have use six months now 98E on my Auris Hybrid (2016 face lift). Owner manual say: octane 95 or higher.

Not notice any problem. 

Of course, the cold weather affects fuel comsumption, but 98E compensate that...

Hi, first post.

My Auris Hybrid has suddenly dropped from 58-60 to 50-52 in the last 2 weeks.

Every year it does drop when it gets colder, however it appears to have dropped more than normal.

Also my car is due in for a recall on the charcoal filter, and to my knowledge, it has never been changed in all its 125k-even though always Toyota serviced.

Could this not being changed make a difference or the recall make a difference also??

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm from Spain (nothern-east), and last week, the temp downs more than 10 celsius degrees: from 17 to 6.

The milleage also go down from 62 to 50 (4,6 l/100 to 5.4 l/100)... I think is a normal issue...

LOL, you'd better not get a 1.6 petrol then. :laugh: My touring VVTI can barely manage 40 mpg in town use, although it'll return a respectable-ish 44 mpg on long motorway journeys. I once saw the temporary figure flash up to 46 mpg on a dual carriageway in Wiltshire (with 300 kg of luggage in the back), but I've never seen that again.

Am I worried? Nope, I've got the simplest engine I've had in many years, and that's worth money to me. My last car (not a Toyota) was a super-complicated diesel with all the trimmings, and although it would to 54 to the gallon the repair costs were always a right pain in the bumper. Since I only do 10K a year, of which about half is on the motorway, I'm not expecting to feel the financial downside of it too badly.

Liking the car!

• Like 1

Another thing I've noticed, is the CVT that sucks fuel like crazy, when the engine is cold. It's much worse than a normal gearbox, and the first 3 miles often returns figures like 20 mpg. The downside to this gearbox is that I cant control anything when it's cold, engine like high revs and very low gears, it's simply not possible to drive carefully and keeping revs low. When the engine heats up, I do like the CVT gears a lot and find it very comfortable, but until then, I would wish I could change gears the old fashion way. 

The winter tyres I have fitted is Kleber Krisalp, and what a noise!! My experience with other winter tyres is very good, and I've always found them much more quiet than summer tyres, due to the softer rubber. But this time... Noisy, and they suck fuel as well. 

I think that you will find that  it's the engine that is thirsty when cold & not the gearbox ... ;)

3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I think that you will find that  it's the engine that is thirsty when cold & not the gearbox ... ;)

Compounded further when you are asking for heat. 

I find having the temperature set to 22C and the car running in ECO, the mpg is worse but no worse than my old non hybrid 

I did a drive the car is intended for today..   Lot of slow parts where the Battery can be used fully.
Even though many electrical appliances were working (wipers, lights, fog lights, radio, heater, gps, ...) this brought my fuel consumption to 56 miles per gallon 25 miles long drive. The temp has gone up here to 12 degrees Celsius.. would be worse if it's 1 or 3 again.

Did 52.2 mpg on the next drive but that included more highway driving.

23 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I did a drive the car is intended for today..   Lot of slow parts where the battery can be used fully.
Even though many electrical appliances were working (wipers, lights, fog lights, radio, heater, gps, ...) this brought my fuel consumption to 56 miles per gallon 25 miles long drive. The temp has gone up here to 12 degrees Celsius.. would be worse if it's 1 or 3 again.

Did 52.2 mpg on the next drive but that included more highway driving.

The temperature is the same here at the moment and i am getting roughly the same mpg, Just my journeys have been shorter.

My Auris hybrid excel tourer is down to around 36 mpg around 2 degrees or so in the last week  from around 47 in the warmer weather I'm mostly around town I also notice a drop of in wet weather my prius prius used to drop from around 48 to38 mpg hybrids do seem to be effected quite badly in cold weather 

My old 1.8 verso, used to give as low as 27mpg in winter. I have to admit that I never took as much notice, as compared with my Auris. Even in winter I still manage to get 400+ miles on 36 litres in the Auris, compared to 400+ on 55 litres in the verso. I used the cruise control on both.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 1.4 Auris d. Has also dropped around 5mpg in past month,, it has been cold!

I see the Auris mainly suffers from the engine warming up. It runs at 1200-1500 rpm then and it's a waste of petrol.
If you start for a drive with a warm engine, you see totally different figures.
Just like in summer, I guess

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links