Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice on master key yaris 2001 sr

toyotapob

Hi,

I am currently considering buying a 2001 yaris SR but the owner only has one key. In the photo the key looks black with a red spot on the end, not sure if it is the remote key.

I am unclear what a yaris master key looks like but I a believe I need it to get a second key (immobilizer/remote)working.

My current yaris 2001 SR came with a black remote key and a grey key. Not sure if the black remote is the master key.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The black key is a master key and the grey key is a valet key.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I spoke to Toyota earlier  today and they said if I provide the V5 and Identification (driving licence) they could order a second key £30. I just wasn't sure if/how a new key would be programmed to the car as they were a bit vague on this part. They said I needed to take the key that came with the car to Toyota so they could identify if it was the master key!

£30!??!?! They wanted £120 from me last time I tried to order a blank remote key!!!! :eek: And that was without the £60 programming charge!! :eek:

Ok this Yaris SR i'm looking at only comes with one key and its not a remote key!

How difficult is it to get a new remote key for a 2001 yaris programmed to the car.

I realise I need to check that the one key is not a valet key, can someone confirm that insert key and if alarm led lights for 3 second then goes out it's the valet key, if the Led goes out immediately then its a master key. Please see picture below from advert. Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, it looks like the previous owner has had their original toyota key code cloned onto a generic blank. That red bit is the cavity where the RFID chip goes.

There's been a few threads about this lately for some reason; The upshot is, if the code on that key is from a master key (Normally a black key with remote buttons) then there is a good chance it can be used to program a new toyota key into the ECU.

The remote locking is separate and should work without needing another remote key.

The big difference between generic blanks and real toyota keys is that the transponder code in real toyota master keys is fixed and can't be changed - It has to be programmed into the ECU for it to recognise it.

With the generic blanks, they literally have no code, and autolocksmiths use a RFID reader to read the transponder code off an working key and burn it into a bank RFID chip which is then put into the blank.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links