Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

NewBuy: Toyota Corolla SR

sohail-94

New Buy: Toyota Corolla SR  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Toyota Corolla SR 1.6 Petrol or 2.0Diesel & why

• 2.0 Diesel
    • 1.6 Petrol

After previously owning a corolla I am looking to purchase a 2005-2006 Corolla SR either a 1.6 petrol or a 2.0 Diesel. 

What would you recommend and why?

thanks in advance

sohail

Petrol cos diesel doesn't belong in cars.... Unrefined, noisey, crap powerband, horrible to drive on anything but a motorway.

• Like 3

It really depends what you're going to use it for; If you're going to be doing mostly short journeys around town, the petrol for sure.

If you're going to be carrying heavy things or doing runs on motorways or fast A-roads the diesel would be better.

My brother had the 2.0 D4D and it was a great car; The amount of torque that thing has is incredible. It honestly felt like you could tow a house with it! :laugh: The only downside with it is the clutch is real heavy; It feels like it belongs in a truck! This is another reason to avoid it if you're going to mostly be doing urban driving; Your left knee will start to really hate you if you are in start-stop traffic for extended periods...!

I think it was one of the earliest D4Ds to have a variable turbo as you can drive it in almost any gear and it doesn't care. It was fun leaving it in 4th at 20mph and hauling up to 50 :naughty:

Pretty easy to get 55mpg in it unless you're really hammering it. Super reliable too, as it's one of the earlier D4Ds from before they started kludging in extra things to make them comply with the newer emissions regulations.

What do you have at the moment out of curiosity?

• Like 1

Hi mate, i have a 2006 SR. 1.6 vvt-i petrol. In 90k miles it has (touch wood) been perfect. I bought it from my mum who had it from new. Its still on original clutch / gear box etc. I think it went through a few battery's in its first few years, i got it with 50k on and all i have changed in 40k miles is brake pads. I get it serviced every 10k miles.

Its got a decent amount of punch for a small car. Only downside is it seems to rev quite high when cruising on the motorway at 70mph.

I love it and plan to keep it until it dies! 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies :)

I work about 20mins from home at the moment and only really do a motorway journey when im going out for the day with family or friends. 

I am currently stuck with a fiat punto diesel which I cannot get wait to get rid of but previously had a corolla T3 and i loved it but it got written off after some clown pulled out on me 😒

Petrol all the way, unless your doing long journeys no point in a diesel plus they should have stayed on the farm!  My Corolla T3 2004 is on 87 and still mint would change it for the world and my 2002 Yaris Sr is on 97 and still going lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links