Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can I prevent the doors locking at 15mph?

Stonedofmoo

As the title. This option drives me nuts! I wouldn't mind if the doors unlocked when the engine stops, but it doesn't. How can this be adjusted.

Cheers

I just bought a nearly new Avensis and I'm concerned about rear passengers not being able to get out. I phoned customer service about this problem and was told it sounded like a fault. After all, what would be the point of having child locks if the rear passengers can't get out anyway. I contacted a dealer and they just said that's the way it supposed to work. I pointed out that nobody could open the door from the outside either which could prevent rescue of a passenger in the event of an accident. They assured me that if the air-bags deploy the doors would unlock. I'm not convinced. This doesn't sound right to me. We're stuck with having to press the unlock button.

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum :smile:

You can do this on a 2012 Avensis so I strongly suspect that you can on a 2016 as it's just a facelifted version. On mine it is done through the Touch head unit so I imagine that on yours it is done via Touch 2.

Have you tried opening the rear doors from inside though as unless the child locks are on they should open.

Stonedofmoo, what year is your Verso?

It also might be possible to do this via Techstream.

I've got a 2009 Verso and I turned the automatic doors locking off - like you I really didn't like it. I can't remember quite how I did it (some combination of controls - hold this in with that turned on, turn that off etc) - but the instructions are in the owners handbook - do you have one? If not I can have a look in mine and tell you what it says you should do.

Oh interesting, I do have a handbook but I skimmed through and didn't see any option for that. I'll look more closely and try and find it.

Appreciate the heads up!

It's on page 67/68 in my manual. Can you find it in yours? - if not I can upload a photo of the page.

On 10/9/2016 at 8:21 PM, phb said:

I just bought a nearly new Avensis and I'm concerned about rear passengers not being able to get out. I phoned customer service about this problem and was told it sounded like a fault. After all, what would be the point of having child locks if the rear passengers can't get out anyway. I contacted a dealer and they just said that's the way it supposed to work. I pointed out that nobody could open the door from the outside either which could prevent rescue of a passenger in the event of an accident. They assured me that if the air-bags deploy the doors would unlock. I'm not convinced. This doesn't sound right to me. We're stuck with having to press the unlock button.

Paul, I have a Mk3 '09 Avensis Tourer and the auto locks are disabled. The handbook has instructions on how to enable/disable the function. Your handbook will be updated, so cannot quote page number. Look in "Side doors - Opening, closing and locking". It is easy to apply.

Procedure:

1.  Turn the key to the on position (don't start the engine).
  2. With 10 seconds of step 1 , press and hold the lock or unlock button button for 5 seconds. The doors will then lock then unlock to signify the operation has been completed.

Also stated in the my handbook - all doors are unlocked if the drivers door is opened first, withing 10 seconds of shutting off the engine - key turned to lock position! This means passengers cannot get out or in unless the driver presses the unlock button on the door. 

Hopefully Toyota are consistent with functions, so you can try disabling the auto lock function on your car.

One last note. Also thing can go wrong and for the staff at the dealer to say "the doors should unlock in an emergency", if they were involved and the doors did not unlock, they would change their tune! The staff should know that it can be disabled unless they know different. Has the function been removed? Again the handbook should help.

There is a master command button for both locking and windows, the driver can control.   

Thanks for your advice on all doors unlocking if the driver door is opened first. This explains alot because I couldn't work-out why sometimes the rear doors stayed locked and sometimes they didn't

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the automatic door-lock function deactivated by Toyota. They didn't charge for this ; I was having a minor job done anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links