Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

how to hardwire a dashcam

Auris2010

I have been using a dash cam for a while now, but been using the cigarette socket for it,  thinking of changing it but need to know how to hardwire it to my auris hybrid 2014. any guide in doing this will be apppreciated.  thanks

whats the best Dashcam to install

give you suggestion is pripaso dash cam is well.

and i have installed the pripaso dash camera for you toyota.

think is very well.

Plenty of videos on Youtube showing hardwiring installations. Not paricularly for the Auris but it's very similar for any car.

You just have to find a suitable fusebox and fuse(s) depending on if you want to use parking mode (I don't) which requires a continuuos supply and ideally a little box of tricks to avoid running down the car Battery

I you just want the Dashcam to power on and off for driving then a non continuous fuse has to be found plus an earth. I use my accessory socket fuse and a "piggyback" fuse holder which allows both the socket and Dashcam to be powered. There is a female accessory socket connected to the "piggyback" and earth which allows the use of the power plug of the Dashcam.

Mine's in a non hybrid Yaris though, so things could be totally different for a hybrid particularly with the different "start up" Battery situation!

I have a thinkaware 750 on my auris hybrid 2012 working with parking mode - found a blank fuse holder which turned out to be live in the centre of fuse box which is in the wheel well on the left hand side. Used the fuse for the cigar lighter and piggy backed off that. The only thing is when you piggy back fuses the fuse cover will not go back so I made one to fit .

The thinkaware needs 2 feeds - permanent and accessory feed. The parking mode will only work when hard wired.

The camera has a menu to set up the parking mode feature - using Battery voltage and time. I park in my garage so I use 12.3 volts setting and  6 hrs for time. There are various settings to suit your taste - have been using it for 2 moths now and all working ok. Also have rear camera fitted as well.

Have set it to 12.3 for winter but you can go under 12 volts - have not tried that yet .

the choice in dash cams is tremendous so each to there own in price and features.

• 2 months later...

I used the rear 12v socket on my auris as I very rarely carry any rear seat passengers  hid the wire under the roof lining then down the a pillar down the side of dashboard, under the passenger door seal , then across under the clove box, then tucked wire under centre console and exited wire with plug to rear 12v socket you may have to extend the wire by cutting and introducing an extension, just solder the extension to the exsisting wires from the plug to camera and insulate with heat shrink or tape. This leaves your front 12v socket free for other uses.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy dedicated harnesses for some cars ... Say some in Halfords the other day ... Not sure on price though 

If hard-wiring you need to make sure your camera takes 12v input, you might find the plug you are using in the cigarette socket drops the voltage to 5v. This is what happens for my Nextbase camera and I know there is a dedicated hard-wiring kit available for it that should suit most cars. I decided against hard-wiring as I am expecting to get a new car in March - might go to Halfords to let them do the job for my next car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links