Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con service

Bemused2

I took my Yaris into a main dealer yesterday for its two year service. They recommend that I take it back in January next year for an air con service. Cost £80. Seems strange. Why January for a start.

Is this really necessary or just a bit of up selling as there seems nothing wrong with it. Or can I get it done cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks.

how old is your car exactly (i.e. date of first registration)?

has it had an aircon service previously? It is advisable to have it done every 2-3 years.

Depends what they are quoting for - for £80 it should be quite extensive ...

some examples of other dealers:

https://www.easternwestern.co.uk/toyota/servicing/air-conditioning.php

https://www.inchcapetoyota.co.uk/offers/servicing-offers/how-clean-is-your-air-conditioning-system/

Part of the Toyota air con service is that they check for leaks before re-gassing - some independent companies offering re-gassing don't.

If the air con is used regularly throughout the year (ie at least once per week - used with heat in the winter provides more effective demisting), is still providing sufficient cold air effectively when required, and isn't smelling when used, one could leave it longer. 

Really a personal choice. 

Thanks for your replies.

The car is a 64, registered October 2014. 10000 miles. Air con left on all the time.

Just as a side note I paid an extra £45 for the brake fluid to be changed. I always thought that was mandatory. Wrong again !

whilst it is not mandatory it is generally considered good practice to change brake fluid every 2 years.

Toyota's fixed price scheme for replacing brake fluid in non-hybrids is £40 https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json (scroll right down to additional services/parts).

Toyota recently made changes to their service schedules - previously the brake fluid change wasn't included within the Full service, was a maintenance option, but still recommended every two years.

The revised Full service now includes the brake fluid change, and isn't identified as having an additional charge -  https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/Toyota Service Pricing Plan Comparison _tcm-3060-294039.pdf 

So it is a bit ambiguous.

If you paid £290 for the Full service, that would be under the revised scheme, so I would query this with the dealer taking a print of the Service Pricing Comparison above, with you.

Our 2003 Yaris has aircon and it was checked in winter in 2010 by Kwikfit. As there is not much demand in winter , they halved the price to £30.. and fully tested the system for leaks and regassed it. Seven years later, it is still cold..

Several lessons there..

Try www.whocanfixmycar.com. local dealers quote you with their best price. ATS re gassed mine for 35 quid. Less than half price.

I had mine regassed in May this year (at 7½ years old) as SWMBO said it wasn't very cold (it wasn't). Used a local Best Autocentre and cost £56 all in. The machine that does it supposedly leak checks as well as cleaning/regassing - took about an hour.

On my last car I used a local motor factors (use them or lose them) who charged around forty quid. They gave a full report, that stated the system had lost around 20% of its charge in the eight years I'd owned it (apparently up to 10%/year's acceptable). They also advised the use of a 'bomb' for the smell - it didn't work. I found a squirt of Neutradol into the inlet vents every so often masked the stagnant smell. I had changed the pollen filter frequently and the drains were clear.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:34 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota recently made changes to their service schedules - previously the brake fluid change wasn't included within the Full service, was a maintenance option, but still recommended every two years.

The revised Full service now includes the brake fluid change, and isn't identified as having an additional charge -  https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/Toyota Service Pricing Plan Comparison _tcm-3060-294039.pdf 

So it is a bit ambiguous.

If you paid £290 for the Full service, that would be under the revised scheme, so I would query this with the dealer taking a print of the Service Pricing Comparison above, with you.

When our 2012 Yaris went in for its major service I noticed that inclusion of Brake Fluid in the servicing items, put the increase in price. 

We were offered a 3 year service plan as well (minor, major, minor) for £850.... spread over 30 monthly payments. 

I would not give any garage £850 of my money unless I was pretty sure they would be in business in three years time. Brexit may  - sorry will - have some nasty surprises.

1 hour ago, Madasafish said:

I would not give any garage £850 of my money unless I was pretty sure they would be in business in three years time. Brexit may  - sorry will - have some nasty surprises.

I had no intention to....  But I imagine some clients would take up that offer.

As regards service plans, most dealers use a management company such as Emac to collect the service plan instalments, and when a service is carried out, the dealer invoices the management company for the cost of the service. So the dealer doesn't directly get the plan instalments, and only gets paid as and when they do a service.

• 1 month later...
On 13/10/2016 at 8:52 AM, jstallan said:

When our 2012 Yaris went in for its major service I noticed that inclusion of Brake Fluid in the servicing items, put the increase in price. 

We were offered a 3 year service plan as well (minor, major, minor) for £850.... spread over 30 monthly payments. 

I've just been offered a three year service plan on a 2012 Yaris for £445.99, and thought it was ridiculously expensive!  It is a Silver / Gold / Silver servicing schedule, which matches what the service manual says should be done.  The price of those individually today is £100 + £180 +£100.  On querying it, the dealer reprinted the letter with a £76 discount to bring the price to £369.99, £10.01 below the total of three.  No reasons, no apologies, no excuses, no explanation.  Merely a restatement that it includes TOyota parts and half price MOT.

Toyota Essential Care, which is the scheme that has the Silver and Gold services, and is for Toyotas over 5 years old. Presumably your next service will be due when the car is five years old.

I would have thought the dealer included half price MOT's in the original quote of £445.99, which accounts for the additional charge in addition to the three services. Not rocket science!

Incidentally, Toyota's standard servicing for vehicles up to 5 years old, the equivalent costs are £160 for the Intermediate and £290 for the Full.