Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Fast Is The Yaris Capable Of?

kenc

speedo readings can be very misleading. my job involves data logging a lot! never trust your speedo. Mine will read 120mph on the same stretch every morning, and the most was 125. In truth, I bet it's lucky to be cracking 110mph.

lol! iv hit 97 in my 1Litre, altho apparently max speed is 94 or sumit! so Ryan, how the hell did urs reach 110 :blink: mine starts creekin when i hit 95, and doesnt sound good :(

I did 175kmh on the speedo (that's about 109mph if I'm not mistaken). That was on a very very light downhill road.

I think under normal conditions you can get it up to about 170kmh.

But it takes a very long time to get it up to that speed. After 140kmh it takes about twice as long to get from 140-170 then from 0-140.

Something I'm interested in however, is the max attained speed in each gear.

I've seen in the Yaris Manuel that they say: in emergency conditions for taking over, you can go up to this speed in a gear: 1ste ** / 2e ** / etc...

Don't know them all, but I do remember that they said 130kmh/81mph max in third :blink: Now that seems a bit over the top.

I've tried out the max speed and this is what I got (Yaris 1.0)

1st 47kmh (29mph)

2 89kmh (55mph) -really hitting the rpmlimiter there

3 118kmh (73mph)

4 145kmh (90mph)

5 175kmh (109mph)

speedo readings can be very misleading. my job involves data logging a lot! never trust your speedo. Mine will read 120mph on the same stretch every morning, and the most was 125. In truth, I bet it's lucky to be cracking 110mph.

Indeed, last time I went past a board that they placed on the road to show what speed you were doing. My speedo read 52kmh, the board said 49kmh.

That's 6% difference!!

we have been down this road befoe ive got a 2001 spec 1.3 SR ive fitted apexi induction kit with green pipe feeding it cold air also i have a blitz NUR SPEC exhaust same as jerrys and i was 2 up on the M20 and got 118mph out of her but had to back off as some pratt pulled out

i read that the T-sport turbo has a longer final gear so it can potentially do more than normal t-sport. but 130mph is the fastest a t-sport can do until you either increase the REV limit to about 7500rpm then you could reach 150 mph is the car had enough power.

if we gcould get a 6speed box, and increase rev limit could we be looking at more than 150????

Cheers

Niz

Is that what you intend to do then Nizan?

Please tell me its true! :drool::lol::drool:

lets just say my next cars a supra when im 26, and im never selling my Yaris, im 22 now and have a fair amount of disposable income every month.

So over the next 4 years who knows where me and my yaris end up (hopefully not in a ditch :lol: ) :thumbsup:

I agree on the rev limit i would gess that you would need the engine to rev at 8 or 9000 rpm to get that sort of speed

Is that what you intend to do then Nizan?

Please tell me its true!  :drool:  :lol::drool:

lets just say my next cars a supra when im 26, and im never selling my Yaris, im 22 now and have a fair amount of disposable income every month.

So over the next 4 years who knows where me and my yaris end up (hopefully not in a ditch :lol: ) :thumbsup:

Nice one mate! .. Will be looking forward to it then! :thumbsup:

i never even look at the speedo as i know for a fact its out by 10%ish!

ive got both the road angel and the alpine satnav and they are sync'd 100% all the time whilst being tracked by GPS so i refer to them for the 'actual' speed and i can tell you know and indicated 120mph on the speedo is actually 111mph!

i ve got an ipaq with tomtom3 sat nav. and that shows the speedo to me more un accurate the faster you go e.g about 6mph at 80mph. all though in tt, the needle has wobbled at 150 (max on speedo) and the gps has red 158mph. followed by a rather large brown stain in the drivers seat and a lot of braking.

Lets not forget the effect of changing from OEM rim size on the accuracy of both the odo and the speedo. I have done a few navigational rallies and learned about the odo thing the hard way.

yep, my 195/45s are only 96% of the original oe rolling circumference -hence 120mph every morning!

Ive heard of analogue dials being out, due to wheel size, age etc. What abut the digi dash?

Most dials are 'out' at higher speeds when they go past their daily operating use........Theres a name for this... umm (Jaxx u did engineering as well didnt u?)

The fact the display is digital or analog should not matter, it's calibration that is the issue. a bigger wheel takes longer to complete a full rotation i.e. it has a larger rolling circumference than the standard wheel. Thus is the measuring bit of the speedo/odo is counting rotations per set interval (seconds or smaller probably) and based on the OEM standard tire circumferece doing distance and speed calcs. The oem circumference would be a constant in the cars internal gubbins.

Larger wheel = bigger circumference thus the car will under estimate distance traveled and hence speed over time

Smaller wheel = shorter circumference theus the car will over estimate distance travelled and hence speed over time.

Complete suppostion on my part but i supposedly did Electronice Eng, just ask the barmen at the union bar how that went :)

with bigger wheels you'll also crank the mileage up slower... correct? :D

:yes:

Well... I have a standard 1.3 CDX and I have had her up to 121mph, nippy little thing :) and it didnt seem particulary sluggish between 110 - 121mph either!

I dunno if it makes any difference that she was one of the first few 1.3l Yarii ;) she's special :P hehe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links