Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of Questions

chilaspt

Hey Everyone, 

I bought a red IQ 1.0 62 plate from a Toyota dealership in March, and have a couple of questions,

I will need to buy new tyres, what would you recommend?

I'm thinking on getting these but have read so many bad reviews that I dont know anymore.

www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyres/continental-ecocontact-5-175-65-r15-84t

Also, Since I purchased the car, one of the rear rotors seems to always be rusty, so I think that the caliper may be stuck? is this something I can get toyota to fix as part of the warranty? or will they just say its wear and tear? (even though its been like that since I bought it?)

Is the process for replacing the rear rotors and pads the same as the front ones? (I've done the front ones on my Aygo, on a Vauxhall corsa, old ford fiesta, etc...)

How does the handbrake work on the IQ? does it have shoes inside the disc like some BMW's?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Hi Erick, All I can answer is this, go to Oponeo.co.uk  for your tyres (although still best to compare the prices). They deliver to your home, any tyre fitting emporium will fit them for you. We bought our winter rubber from them and (I think) they come from Germany. The tread on our Yokohama's for the 15inch wheels on the 1.0l manual was, I believe, more than that on same tyres bought in UK. I do believe they sell a varied range even for the iQ.

As for the 'Rotor's' (Disks) all round, they rust up every time they get wet, like when I wash the car, or go out in the rain, shop, come back, rusty. Just the type of metal I have been told. They can also make a 'scraping' sound to begin with when driving away with the rust on them. If they are rusty 'all the time' like even on the dry days, then there may well be something up with them.

The handbrake, not sure to be honest with looking at the manual. Feels like a traditional set up of cable from the lever.

The handbrake uses the same brake pads as the foot brakes do. I have stripped the discs off my car once to clean and paint them and they come apart pretty easily in a similar manner to the front ones. 

Would be worth taking the caliper off and trying to push the suspect piston back into the caliper then pressing the pedal (carefully) to extend it again. If it's under warranty you may as well try them first to get it sorted though.

Craig.

Oponeo are Polish. I have used them before OK but imo most of these Continental companies tend to be best at Winter tyres where they have a far larger demand & hence better pricing than in the UK. Of course Brexit is going to change their pricing as the exchange rate has crashed against the Euro.

Halfords & Kwik-fit both appear to be fighting back & can be very competitive (I am currently looking for a new tyre for my car & once fitting is included they are amongst the best).

Thanks guys!

I will have a look and compare, :) I will get the tyres sorted first, and then take it to Mr.T to see what they say....

if they say its wear and tear, ill fix it myself - found these and have used EBC in the past, they were very good! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-REAR-DISCS-AND-PADS-259mm-FOR-TOYOTA-IQ-1-4-D-2009-/121798092680?fits=Model%3AIQ&hash=item1c5bbb6788:g:FkAAAOSw~bFWLfqk

gonna have a look to see how much toyota original parts are just in case.

Thx.

I have those EBC brake pads on the standard discs and have no complaints. Perform as good as the originals did and the brake dust on the wheels seems easier to clean off.

Craig.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Craig,

I've ordered them, now I need to get some jackstands, and time :(

Regards,

Erick

• Like 1

Bear in mind the rear pistons in the brake calipers rewind back, not simply pushed back in.

Be careful.