Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy 2010 Avensis T4 2.2 D4D Advice Please

GAZB

Hi everyone im new on here , Ive had a few Honda Accord 2.2 Ctdi for the last 10 years as a private hire taxi's , im looking for a change and have seen a nice 2010 Avensis T4 2.2 D4D estate , its done 85k miles with full Main dealer Service history

My Honda's have been pretty reliable so what faults should I look out for on the Avensis , does the 2010 2.2 D4D Engine still have problems with blown head gaskets

Thanks Gaz 

Hi Gaz, welcome to the forum. :smile:

The engine head/gasket problems supposedly resolved in production since end of February 2009. Might want to check the production date as a car could sit in stock for months before first registration.

It's a modern(-ish) common rail turbodiesel so can suffer the same issues as any of those from any manufacturer - principally EGR etc. getting sooted up but potentially DPF (if fitted), injectors, DMF etc. at high mileage. Not as fuel efficient as later TDs according to published figures but the difference probably isn't as large in the real world. I typically average 42-44mpg in mixed motoring but I have seen it into the middle 60s depending upon the run.

Manual or auto tranny? The manual is usually notchy (especially into 2nd) whilst cold but becomes acceptable when warmed up. The auto is a 6 speed torque converter - reliable but isn't the most fuel efficient.

Handbrake is an electronic one. There have been some issues with some requiring actuator replacement (usually due to moisture ingress). Relatively few given the nos. on the road (& I believe less of an issue than on Passats etc.) but this is a £1000+ job if it does need done. On the original T27 Avensis the EPB does not automatically engage when you switch off (it does on the facelift, 2012>).   & the button is in a stupid place.

There have been a few issues with cracking of the front doors near the restraining arm. Again, relatively few given the nos. on the road but something to check.

Check if it has a spare or a tyre repair kit (probably out of date by now if that is what it has). 

• Like 1

Thanks mate checked it with Toyota and it's had all its work and servicing done at main dealers so fingers crossed it should be a good one 

lit was registered sept 2010 so hopefully one of the revised engines

good spec aswell with full leather interior and sat nav

don't get too excited over the satnav - not cheap to update & even then the map data will be at least 1 year old on release ...

• Like 1

Can I add:-

Make sure you have two black keys, not one black master key and one grey courtesy key. It is expensive to get another key and if you lose the only black key, the cost is over £1000 to replace which includes an ECU change/update! There should be a key number for the car, but this seem to be lost with some car.

Also the locking wheel nut and the owners handbook too. 

You must be looking at one of the upper specs - T4 or T-Spirit. Scott is correct about the Sat-Nav (which I don't have). It is not like the mobile phones or standalone navigation which are better. The reverse camera makes up for the out of date system nav.

It's only got 1 black key , the dealer said the previous owner is going to send it to him but that probably won't happen so I'll just not have to lose it , how much is it to get a spare key copied of the original key 

If you don't get the second key via the dealer, contact the previous owner when you get their contact details via the owners document. Or get the dealer to provide a spare key as part of the deal. It is best to have two keys to alternate between, to keep wear down and keys can develope faults! 

Can't give cost of spare key. 

Picked car up earlier , drove 150 miles home , I'm made up with how it drives , dealer said they will be getting key off previous owner so hopefully I'll receive it in the future

Hi Gaz,

I've had a 56 plate 2.2 Avensis for a year and had nothing but trouble. If it's got a DPF swerve it. Guaranteed your wallet will take a pummeling. Honestly, just avoid modern diesels - like the plague.

Good luck!

Joe

12 hours ago, 78Portellen said:

Hi Gaz,

I've had a 56 plate 2.2 Avensis for a year and had nothing but trouble. If it's got a DPF swerve it. Guaranteed your wallet will take a pummeling. Honestly, just avoid modern diesels - like the plague.

Good luck!

Joe

It depends on how the car is used and serviced, but I agree that modern diesels are not suitable for everyone.

That is why modern petrol turbos have been introduced by manufacturers. 

Don't forget the high NOx and particulate emissions which are putting more emission controls on the diesel. Add that local authorities like Central London are introducing ultra clean zones that target the biggest polluters - diesel.

The 2.2 engine seems to be more improved when the later T27 was introduced. 

13 hours ago, 78Portellen said:

Hi Gaz,

Good luck!

Joe

The design was poor of the 2.2 diesel with DPF issues and carbon build up in the engine. Many replaced under warranty which was extended to 7 years.

Personally I would avoid all 2.2 Toyota engines pre 2009. see the RAV4 forum stickies..

On 20/10/2016 at 9:23 AM, Konrad C said:

The 2.2 engine seems to be more improved when the later T27 was introduced. 

Imo more a case of that the existing fixes for AD series were in train to coming on stream nearly (but not quite) coinciding with the T25/T27 model change rather than anything else. There have been a few instances of early diesel T27s exhibiting the same failures/faults as T25s. Going by the TSB the end of February 2009 is supposed to be the manufacturing date for Avensis with engines with the fixes. I believe that non-D-CAT 2.2s may also have gained DPFs at the same time whereas afaik the 2.0 did not get those until 2010.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links