Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SatNav update

Russd4d

Having recently bought a T Spirit with the satnav built in, i now have the latest disk i was told that was available for my system but it is only 2011/12.

Ok it works but, I was thinking, (this is where i get headaches when i think )

Has anyone ever tried to take apart the satnav unit on the dashboard ?

If they have how easy is it ?

and finally, is there enough room to fit a 7" cheap touchscreen satnav within the unit. Would be much easier to use than what is fitted.

What do you think ?

have i completely lost the plot or have i had a good idea.

Do you need to update your profile from the 2003 Avensis??

Profile updated.

It's a gen 1 satnav.

I wont spend £100 on an updated disk when i have plenty of satnavs at my disposal and being a truck driver i know where i am going but, to have a decent display looks good, i can live with it as it is but always looking to improve things especially at a decent price, It is also nice to have something unusual.

On 14/10/2016 at 11:33 PM, Heidfirst said:

There should be a later disk, have you checked on http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index ?

It will be over £100 though, new.

I checked this site to order a disk for my Auris (touchscreen satnav gen 5?) - the price came well over £180 for one (!) single (!) disk. :( For these money I can buy a dedicated phone or tablet which would work as satnav (well, I am perfectly happy with my phone fulfilling this role currently).

I tried to burn disk images several times (single/dual layer DVDs) - but it never worked, so I gave up.

Looks like the Auris satnav will remain as is, but for Avensis I plan to build a custom double DIN CarPC with all bells and whistles once I will get some more free time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artiom said:

I tried to burn disk images several times (single/dual layer DVDs) - but it never worked, so I gave up.

it's protected albeit I believe that it has been cracked. You can probably find a fake on eBay cheap ...

Whilst on the subject of built in satnavs, I am fortunate to have one of the early Mk3s with bluetooth standard stereo, but no satnav. i say fortunate because, I recently used my Nokia phone as a satnav and the commands came through the drivers speaker, cutting out the music via bluetooth. Works perfectly and as good as my old Tom-Tom.

Now on some other cars from other makers (may be Toyota does this too), so many cars have the touch screen system without satnav, and linking a mobile adds this function. I think this is Android Auto and Apple Carplay. This means up to date navigation without having to pay extortionate price. This is how it should be done.

I know Touch and Go 2 is giving free updates but I prefer the standalone or better functioning satnav. I have 2 mobile and the Samsung has both Google map and Here Maps. Here maps is on Windows mobile and the maps are preloaded with regular updates. Same for the Samsung if you don't want to use data.

So I won't have to explain to anyone, why am I using my phone and not the useless built in satnav.