Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

switching off car alarm

MetManMark

Afternoon all

We are heading over to France for half term to see the in-laws. When you get on the boat they always say to turn off your car alarm. How do you do this? When we bought the car the chap at the garage said that you can turn off the motion sensor by pressing a button on the ceiling - but this didn't actually turn the alarm off. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

PS we have a 2015 hybrid TS

Does locking the car with the key in the door, lock the car but not arm the alarm?

Why not edit your profile, and include what car you have and what year it is - then you wouldn't have to keep mentioning in posts what car you have.

Point taken. I'll update my profile this evening.

Not sure about your Auris, but on my Avensis, turning off the motion sensor effectively turns off the alarm - I tried to shake the car, hit the wheels, etc - the alarm does not sound - no idea what else can trigger it without disassembling the car :)

Once upon a time, car alarms included a "tilt switch" to trigger the alarm based on motion of the car. Obviously, it would be a good idea to avoid triggering hundreds of car alarms when the ferry hit a large wave! 

Modern alarm systems tend not to have such things as they generate lots of false alarms when someone leans on the car, a passing bus or truck generates enough wind to rock the car, or even when a cat sits on the bonnet! Remember when car alarms used to regularly go off accidentally? Doesn't happen now like it used to! 

Those old 'car motion' sensors are completely different to the ultrasonic movement inside the car detectors that the Auris has. These can be accidentally triggered by dogs, children or grandparents left in a locked car, hence the push-button to allow you to temporarily disable the ultrasonic sensors. The sensors might detect your furry dice swinging when the car was rocked, but unless there is something actually moving inside the car, they shouldn't be activated. 

It is standard behaviour for modern remote central locking/alarm systems not to set the alarm when the car is locked with an inserted physical key rather than the 'remote' facilities. 

You can see the Auris indicating the different behaviours via the red light on the airbag warning panel. On setting the alarm via remote (touch) locking the light stops flashing and illuminates steadily (and after a while gives short flashes to warn of the alarm being set). Turning the ultrasonics off makes the initial flashing much faster. Key locking induces no change in the slow ("not set") flashing. 

The ferry company is probably putting out the same advice they did 20 years ago, even though the stabilisers on their ships have improved greatly and alarm systems have changed. Your alarm shouldn't cause them any nuisance false alarms. But you can play nicely and lock the car with the key to avoid setting the alarm. Disabling the ultrasonics shouldn't make any difference - unless you leave anything unsecured (that could shift on sea movement) - or leave the pets, kids or grandparents in the car ... :huh:

Thanks beekeeper. Helpful once again.

M

With our annual holiday on Skye, where we use the Calmac ferry, there is invariably at least one car alarm that goes off on either the outward or return crossing.

• 4 years later...

Must remember to lock with key only having had?insect problems .my concern now is hopefully Irish Sea won’t set off recently installed other tilt alarm to prevent catalytic converter theft 

You can try locking with key, and pushing on the car front side, where the suspension, to see if it will activate tilt alarm.

Worst case, you can undo the Battery during the ferry crossing.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I have experienced the theft alarm issue on my Hybrid Auris 2011 going off early in the morning for sometime causing us distress and embarrassment. Following different owners advices from changing fob Battery to changing door check strap which has all failed to stop it.

So finally I found the solution accidentally, set inside switch the car off, a message will be displayed “Key Detected In The Car” press the little motion sensor located above the rear view mirror by the interior lights and a message will appear “Theft Alarm ON/OFF”

Good Luck

Stay Safe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links