Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo!

leebass

Hello!

First time on here.. Just got an 08 Aygo and love the simplicity. First off, am I safe to use high octane fuel? 60 odd thousand on the clock but I like the thought of preserving the life span. Plus, is it normal for the gearstick to have a certain amount of play/wobble? Absolutely fine with it, just thought I'd ask. The clutch is quite high - again, is this normal?

Cheers in advance, Lee.

Hello Lee - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

• Like 1

A little gearstick wobble is okay as long as it's not too excessive. I also found the clutch bite quite high when I drove one, but the one I drove was pre-revised clutch so I still don't know if it's normal...!

As for the high octane fuel, there isn't any harm in it but it probably won't deliver any noticeable benefits. Just using decent (i.e. non-supermarket) fuel is probably enough TBH.

• Like 1

Premium fuels (BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power Nitro+, Esso Synergy Supreme+, Texaco Supreme, etc) usually have a better additive package than standard unleaded, so may well keep an engine cleaner.

Some owners think their engine runs better - for example there has previously been some debate in the IQ club (the 1.0 litre engine is the same as the Aygo) over this, especially as some early IQ's had issues with the manifold/EGR valve.

Some see premium fuels as a waste of money.

Doubt whether one will see other benefits, such as better economy.

Some supermarkets offer their own premium fuel (eg Tesco Momentum, which Tesco say has their best additive package), which may be cheaper than the branded premium fuels.

Really down to personal opinion and choice. If you want to try using these, try them and form your own preference.

Of course one could try using alternate fills of standard and premium.

• Like 1

Mine runs well on BP or Shell fuel I've found. I've tried the high octane stuff in it various times over the course of putting 65,000 miles on it. I didn't notice any difference.

I think, really, the main thing with these enignes is to make sure the oil is changed when it needs to be changed. It's chain driven, so you want to make sure the oil is changed properly. I've used Castrol Edge/Magnatec several times, although the last oil change I actually went out of my way and purchased Total oil for it.

• Like 1

I have also heard that some drivers put in one or two tanks of premium fuel once every few months. Their theory is that the better additives (something like solvents/detergents) actually help cleaning up the engine internals. There are also suggestions saying that one should choose 'busier' petrol stations as stale fuel stores in their underground tanks can absorb moisture which does not do any good to your cars. 

• Like 1

You could always do an "Italian tune" - basically drive the car on a motorway or something and keep the revs up past 4,000rpm for 5 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plob said:

"Italian Tune" I'll have to remember that!!! ;-D

Yep, works well for diesels and petrol cars which spend a lot of time in the city. Diesels are rarely revved high due to the massive amount of low down torque. Our Aygos probably spend most of the time plodding around on short journeys, so don't get revved high either.

An Italian tune-up will blow a lot of the build up engine deposits out of the exhaust. Do not be afraid to rev the little beast, it has a cam chain, so little worry of it snapping.

Coupled with a bottle of engine cleaning fuel additive, it's a good way to keep the engine clear of internal crud.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a tiny japanese engine - It LIVES to be revved to the moon and back!! :laugh:

Once nice thing about it being 3-cylinder rather than 4 is it's got no secondary imbalance so it's super smooth at high revs. When I was driving one I swear it got smoother the higher I revved it :laugh:

For an extreme engine blast you could take Ant up on his invitation to the Toyota Sprint Series... :naughty::laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, it's a tiny japanese engine - It LIVES to be revved to the moon and back!! :laugh:

Once nice thing about it being 3-cylinder rather than 4 is it's got no secondary imbalance so it's super smooth at high revs. When I was driving one I swear it got smoother the higher I revved it :laugh:

For an extreme engine blast you could take Ant up on his invitation to the Toyota Sprint Series... :naughty::laugh:

Used to own a Daihatsu Charade GTti many moons ago. I believe our engine is based on that original design.

Boy did that little beast shift. Shame they don't add turbos any more.

• Like 1

I seem to recall there was a supercharger kit for the Aygo....  :naughty:

• Like 1

The C series engine used in the Charade and Hijet was produced from 1977 to 1998.

Replaced by a four cylnder engine developed jointly by Toyota and Daihatsu - used in the original Yaris from 1998 (and some say the original Yaris was a Daihatsu design). Still in production for industrial use.

The KR series of engines were designed by Daihatsu, and used in both Daihatsu and Toyota (Aygo/C1//107/108, Yaris, IQ, Passo, Daihatsu Boon, Sirion/Subaru Justy/Perodua Myvi, etc) models, it uses an aluminium block rather than cast iron used in the C series Daihatsu engine. Produced from 2005 to date.

• Like 2

You tremendous bunch of people - ace! Very helpful pointing me in the right direction, I'll give the premium stuff a whirl with an open mind. Totally agree with revving the little thing - it reminds me of my Lhasa Apso when she gets all gnarly/stroppy :)

Cheers everyone, Lee.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links