Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fed Up - White Smoke Problem 2006 Avensis 2.2 D-CAT T180

78Portellen

Evening folks,

I've been on here a couple of times before about this problem. Occasional white smoke which billows out for about 10 minutes at a time. Tell tale sign of impending doom is the whiff of unburnt diesel in the cabin followed by the inevitable choke-fest and finger pointing.

Owned this T180 for 12 months and had all kinds done including Head Gasket repair last year (£1800). To resolve white smoke problem I've had two diagnostic tests which showed DPF was clear. The EGR was cleaned and ECU updated at main dealer (March), which stopped the problem for a couple of weeks. That was followed by DPF removal and intensive clean (May - Halfords bargain price of £500) then a full service (September).

Since the DPF clean the problem was sorted until just before I got the car serviced. It was intermittent and now it's becoming daily again - half an hour into my commute with the same on the way home.

I fill up at Shell (often using V-Power) and have used a number of in-fuel cleaners and DPF cleaners. I take to the motorway at least once a week over 2K revs to try and burn off the muck.

Having read some threads, I reckon the problem could be injectors, maybe 5th injector, but I'm hoping someone can spot the problem and suggest a remedy. I may be wrong, but there seems to be no definitive solution which is frustrating.

I can honestly say that this car has been the worst and most unreliable I've ever owned. And that's coming from someone who's owned an MG ZT. I'm seriously considering cutting my losses. Help!!!

Joe

I feel your pain and this is why I refuse to buy a diesel. Last one I had (Leon FR550) was on average in the garage once a month with something. Admittedly it'd been remapped but it was just pants! I've had company diesels but obviously not really bothered about them but no running my own I'd only go petrol and after 10 months of petrol avensis ownership I'd probably not have anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thom1983 said:

Ps had an mg at and it surely can't be that bad?!

It really is that bad Thom. Had it in the garage again a couple of weeks ago for an oil leak. Big bucks as usual. Thanks for the comments. I've resolved to stay clear of modern diesels in future. Just not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Yeah the 1.8 petrol is leisurely let's say...but they don't brake!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thom1983 said:

That's why late (2006 - 2008) Mk2 1.8 vvti are well liked. A well cared for one will have less issues and can be used without having to be looked at every month/week. The leisurely part should be used as a positive, because with traffic calming, lower town speed limits, speed cameras and average speed cameras, you don't want the temptation of torque acceleration to get you into trouble! 

• Like 1

That's why late (2006 - 2008) Mk2 1.8 vvti are well liked. A well cared for one will have less issues and can be used without having to be looked at every month/week. The leisurely part should be used as a positive, because with traffic calming, lower town speed limits, speed cameras and average speed cameras, you don't want the temptation of torque acceleration to get you into trouble! 

Agreed, quite rev happy but it doesn't suit the car...I'm 33 and quite happy just pottering along. Love fast & fun cars but honestly after owning a few I'd rather have my trusty avensis as a daily driver

• 3 weeks later...

I would guess by looking at the following link to another post, head gasket:-

It is spooky that two similar posts with the same T180 engine, appear together. Car with this engine need good paper work and service history! 

9 hours ago, Jawal said:

Any resolution? I've got exactly the same symptoms... Cheers! 

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

I would guess by looking at the following link to another post, head gasket:-

It is spooky that two similar posts with the same T180 engine, appear together. Car with this engine need good paper work and service history! 

jack, you asked and got your answer. Not good. :sad:

You know what , I'm pretty sure that the HG is on its way out . It looses coolant through the filler cap. But, I'm fairly sure that the smoke isn't the same issue (all a symptom of it being a badly engineered machine mind ) , but I can deal with topping it up once in a while until it finally goes. The smoke however is more annoying . 

it could be a DPF issue? How many miles on it?

On 07/11/2016 at 6:53 PM, Jawal said:

You know what , I'm pretty sure that the HG is on its way out . It looses coolant through the filler cap. But, I'm fairly sure that the smoke isn't the same issue (all a symptom of it being a badly engineered machine mind ) , but I can deal with topping it up once in a while until it finally goes. The smoke however is more annoying . 

Update on my problem: it's definitely not head gasket because i had that job done last October. EGR valve cleaned two weeks ago and I had it Terracleaned on Friday. It hasn't cleared the problem but the car is perkier and more responsive. Their diagnostic showed DPF was clear and there were no error codes. Cost me £150. Back to the problem - next on the list is replace 5th injector and if that doesn't work, pressure sensor. If that fails it may need a new DPF but I would hope by that time someone will have shunted into the back so it'll get written off - and get a holiday out of it, or at least recoup the huge outlay! The smoke is a nuisance. I'll never get a modern diesel again.

How are things with yours?

Joe

@78PortellenNo change so far. I took it to Toyota a while back to try and get them to do the computer upgrade that I've read might help. Though you said it didn't... They said HG and didn't want to touch it without 'further diagnosis' . Out of interest , is yours worse in cold weather and is the main time it happens when you get the engine up to temperature for the first time on a journey ? 

45 minutes ago, Jawal said:

@78PortellenNo change so far. I took it to Toyota a while back to try and get them to do the computer upgrade that I've read might help. Though you said it didn't... They said HG and didn't want to touch it without 'further diagnosis' . Out of interest , is yours worse in cold weather and is the main time it happens when you get the engine up to temperature for the first time on a journey ? 

Yeah the ECU upgrade helped for a couple of weeks then the problem was back. Weather condition makes no difference. It tends to happen about 10-15 mins into a journey and repeats every half an hour or so, although it has occasionally happened soon after cold start. Never straight from cold start. I've read up loads on this and I'm amazed that there is no firm solution. Some punters have replaced all kinds including DPF and problem not solved. Lexus IS220D owners have a similar problem with white smoke. It's worth browsing their forums as well.

Yeah, Ive Seen, strangely I havent Seen Complaints From Rav4 Owners Even Though The Engine Is The Same. . . 

If one does a search for 'white smoke' on the Rav4 club, one should get 121 results ........

• 2 months later...

It sounds like they used the wrong oil, DPF’s generally require a Low or Mid SAPS engine oil. SAPS stands for “Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur”. A low SAPS engine oil has a lesser amount of these elements than a standard engine oil.

if you use the wrong oil the dpf will get dirty more often and that will engage the regeneration circle. (White smoke)

go flush the engine and change the oil for a one that is ment for diesel dpf engines. They have writen on the oil cans if they are suited for dpf engines. For example Teboil diamond diesel 5w-40