Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low RPM at idle state

dim_dim

Hello,

2 months ago bought a second hand toyota auris 2011 1.33 101hp 73000km. Everything works normally except of when it is at idle state. When the car reaches the normal temperature should work suddenly the rpm get low at around 600 to 650 rpm. Then you can fill a vibration on the car that it is annoying. When i turn on lights or AC the idle rpm get higher and the vibration stops because it is at 700 to 750 rpm. I asked the advise of my local toyota dealer and informed me that every auris works the same way while on idle state and toyota gives idle state from 550 to 650 rpm so my car works perfect. Does anybody have the same problem? I am uploading a photo of my rpm meter to show where the needle is when i feel this vibration.

thank you

20160924_142301.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi, I know it's been some time since you posted this... I'm having the same problem with my Auris.

Did find a solution?

• 1 year later...

I would love to know if anyone else experiences this as our 07 Auris does the same - perhaps it is normal?

Yes, it's annoying but that's how it they are.

I have the same year, and engine as yours.

Once heated up it tends to shudder from time to time due to low rpm. Turning lights and ac and so on forces the car to raise the rpm in order to keep up.

I sometimes even hear small knocking noises here and there, as i presume there's not enough oil pressure to the crank.

Anyway, it's normal, don't worry about it.

My car does it too and I have opened the bonnet and can literally see the engine shaking at that rpm especially the air box 

Could it not be engine mounts

That’s the job of engine mounts, to let the engine move and reduce vibrations transmitting into the cabin. 
Your cars has perhaps age related issues., some components, sensors needs cleaning. On cars 10 years and older rubber houses for vacuum needs to be checked for cracks and replaced  too. 
Throttle body, maf/map sensors, air flows if the car has one, intake manifold, egr valves and coolers, all these needs inspection and cleaning procedures from time to time. Often if any of these are bad there wont be any fault codes triggered and the garage mechanics that strictly follow repair manual and training procedures will say there is no problem with the car where actually it might be. If you feel vibration at idle means too low rpm., no exceptions. 

The original question related to the 1.33L and I noticed on my oil burning example that the idle speed often seemed to be to low.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/215513-poor-performance-on-the-133l-oil-burner-is-it-game-over/#comments

It had also got to the point that it wasn't relearning the correct idle speed (just prior to the above incident). At one point it was actually stalling even after 3 or 4 miles driving following an ECU reset.

Following the clean and flush of the blocked cat and a carbon clean and going against Toyota's recommended Denso's hotter SC16 plugs (now using a colder Denso... can't remember the number but it was a new replacement for the now obsolete SC20) and the idle speed is now noticeably higher and is between 850 and 1k on the rev counter depending on temperature and electrical loading. A very noticeable difference.

Bottom line for me was that E10 petrol and the SC16 plugs were an absolute disaster for cars that do a lot of high speed runs.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links