Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Starting Problems

Think Different

I'm having some strange issues with my auris and I'm wondering what could be wrong.

When I press the start button i get the message Hybrid system overheat which then dissapears and all seems fine.

Alternatively sometimes I press the button, get a load of lights on the dashboard but the car doesn't start and the radio flashes on and off, until i press the button again (yes my foot is on the brake) and the other day the boot just wouldn't open until i power cycled the car.

It hasn't let me down (yet) but I fear something is up. My guess would be the 12v Battery, perhaps it's low, it's cooler now and perhaps it's struggling to start the engine so it's throwing up all sorts of errors??

Any help would be appreciated as I'm useless with this stuff and scared of the hybrid system as it is! 

You could try charging the Battery with a smart charger, ( I got one from Aldi for about £13.00 and works great )  A smart charger can revive a weak Battery. Disconnect the Battery from the car first, to protect the cars ecu etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Think Different said:

I'm having some strange issues with my auris and I'm wondering what could be wrong.

When I press the start button i get the message Hybrid system overheat which then dissapears and all seems fine.

Alternatively sometimes I press the button, get a load of lights on the dashboard but the car doesn't start and the radio flashes on and off, until i press the button again (yes my foot is on the brake) and the other day the boot just wouldn't open until i power cycled the car.

It hasn't let me down (yet) but I fear something is up. My guess would be the 12v battery, perhaps it's low, it's cooler now and perhaps it's struggling to start the engine so it's throwing up all sorts of errors??

Any help would be appreciated as I'm useless with this stuff and scared of the hybrid system as it is! 

As you have a Hybrid the 12v battery doesn't actually start the engine that is handled by the main Hybrid Battery and motor. The 12v Battery is responsible for powering up all of the electrical systems up until the READY light appears which is where the Hybrid Battery takes over, the symptoms you describe sound very much like a 12v battery issue where it cannot support all of the power demands giving spurious warnings, temperamental electrics ( radio ) and non start ( no ready light ).

Just in case re; the overheat warning you may wish to check the condition of the Hybrid battery cooler fan as this can clog over time with fluff and lint causing a overheating issue with the Hybrid battery, if the blower is clogged clear it and it may be worth purchasing a filter ( part # G92DH-12020 ) to fit over the air intake to reduce the amount of debris getting into the cooler blower, See picture:

Untitled.png

i would suspect the warning is coming on because of a fan failure for the hybrid batteries or blocked vents

Certainly sounds similar to the accounts of 12v Battery problems I've read ... even the typical central locking (in your case the tailgate) playing up. 

If you were getting the "hybrid overheat" message when the system was hot, then fans and air filters should come into it. But when starting the car from cold, it says the hybrid system is overheating? No, that has to be a spurious message from a computer that is a bit gaga - hopefully only because it temporarily hasn't got quite enough electricity. 

Your car being 6 years old, I'd expect the Battery might be too. 

Soon you'll be needing to take it in for a check - Toyota's fixed price to supply and fit a replacement is £115, which is not too shocking. 

Whether or not you think it is worth giving it a full charge first is your call. 

Seems like Battery charging needs the battery disconnected (earth lead is enough, my manual says). The underbonnet "jump start" connection seemingly should only be used for brief 'jump starting', not prolonged (even gentle) charging. Manual gives lots of warnings (Nanny T!) about how the system may behave on battery reconnection.  

You might try turning off the audio system before shutting down the car, and also turning off auto headlights and wipers, and aircon, heated seats, etc -- so that you are reducing the strain on the 12v battery at the time of switch-on and before the full system gets a chance to boot up (once it is running the 12v system is supported by the big traction battery, but not before the system is all running). 

Running with those ancillaries off (if possible) should help maximise the charging of the battery. But if you need to live like that beyond the short term, something (like the battery) ain't right. 

Have you noticed if the headlights are dim before you get the ready light?

Once you get the ready light is the headlights brighter?

That would be one way of checking the state of the Battery.

The last year I had a discharged Battery, the symptom for me was READY would not light up.

I used a jump starter to keep the car powered up, while the Battery was removed to charge it with smart charger. Like the one mentioned from a supermarket.

The battery was left overnight (8 hours), then put back in. That will teach me to leave something plugged into the OBD port.

The battery isn't able to charge rapidly, like a normal car battery and therefore you probably would not be driving for long enough, to charge a battery that is quite low.

One tip to remember, if you want to sit in the car for any long periods, make sure the car is in ready and park or turned completely off. Having the car on in accessory mode will allow you to drain the 12 volt battery, even though the car is supposed to power down after 1 hour. By that time it could be too late.

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

I really don't think it's anything to do with the hybrid system, my gut tells me it's the 12v Battery... Just a hunch I suppose but as stated above they only last about 6 years and that's right on the money for my car.

Is there anyway to tell the status of the Battery? I remember when picking the car up that it was flat on test run day and they had to charge it so I'm thinking all roads lead to the Battery, I've started riding a motorcycle too so have been using the car a little less. I think this body of evidence all points to the battery!

I thought I'd get the phone out and ready starting the car tonight to show what the problem is so maybe someone can confirm?

VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM

I don't mind getting a swap from toyota but I'm busy at the moment (My birthday is on monday!) so is there any way to charge up the battery to make sure that I'm not stuck somewhere before I can get it looked at? - Usually I'd just go on a long drive, but It would appear that may not be the best thing to do with the hybrid system?

Obviously auto everything will be off for a bit to nurse the 12v supply and hopefully kick some juice into it!

Thanks everyone as It's helping settle this quite stressful situation :smile:

Taking the Battery out for charging will be just the same as a normal car. Just remember the central locking won't work without the Battery.

That was the reason for connecting a jump starter to the car, while I took the Battery out.

Since your car is the same age as mine, the battery might just need a good charge from a mains charger and your back in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links