Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris headlight adapter kit

Jtustin

Having been very disappointed with rhe headlights on my Auris compared to my previous prius I contacted the dealer who has now arranged for a conversion kit to be fitted that improves the beam spread toyota offered this for owners of early mk2s as far as I'm aware it was a voluntary recall for owners having problems just thought this would be of interest to other owners as it doesn't seem to be  very well known also many thanks to RRG TOYOTA Macclesfield for their help with this matter I will post an update when I've had them done

There's been a number of threads about the poor headlights on the Auris - I had the headlights changed on mine after raising the issue with Toyota Customer Services.

The new headlights are better, they improve lateral illumination, but they still leave something to be desired since they are flat beam type ie they are very poor at picking up road signs or, more seriously, cyclists or pedestrians ahead of you at night on unlit roads.

Couple of threads where the issue has been discussed:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/154269-auris-2013-excel-hybrid-poor-headlights/?hl=headlights

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/170111-new-led-headlights-install/#comment-1401665

Here are some (not particularly good) shots of an old and (upgraded) new headlamp if any one is interested.

The extra intensity on the new headlamp is probably down to the camera.

I think the bulbs get reused in the new lights.

P1130387.JPG

P1130403.JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gerg said:

I think the bulbs get reused in the new lights.

Why not. The bulbs aren't faulty, and there are no upgrade options for the HIR2 bulbs.

Exactly! I only mentioned it to underline that the headlamp performance improvement is entirely down to the Shell.

And that the upgrade sadly doesn't mean you may inherit two spare bulbs for your trouble.

In my case the dealer didn't fit the headlamps as well as they might have done; they left off bumper fixings, installed the undertray in the wrong place, broke off the fuse box lid retaining catch and left the headlamp beams incorrectly adjusted.  But they did turn on ok.

So I thought it best to remove the bulbs and clean any finger prints off them, as they are a bit pricey and I'd like them to last.

• Like 1

dont expect the new design headlight to be much better than the original you have more light in front of

the car and to the sides but the throw of light in front of you is still really poor., the reflector in the  headlight

has now been redesigned this is the only change.

I have recently driven my 2013 Auris Hybrid for the first time in dark roads with no lighting.

The headlights lateral illumination was shocking, particularly to the left/nearside where I couldn't see any light to the front left 45° angle off my nearside. I turned left and couldn't tell where the kerb was. I could easily miss seeing a pedestrian until they were on my bonnet our under my car!

I contacted Toyota customer service directly on Tuesday. On Wednesday my local dealer called me and booked my car in for Friday.

Yesterday they had the car all day and changed both headlights under warranty.

I did a drive last night and have to say there is a massive improvement with the replacement reflectors versus the original ones.

Both lateral and throw of the beam have greatly improved.

This is a known issue at Toyota, but isn't a recall. A technical bulletin has been released internally, but customers have to raise the issue with dealers/customer service before they'll fix it.

I couldn't be happier now, well worth doing!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Have just had toyota headlight adapter kit fitted makes a small amount of different to spread but not tremendous an improvement though beam still seems to aim too low even on full adjustment 

so jtustin do you think the headlight swap was worth the visit to the dealer,we still feel toyota could do better.

Hi eygo

I think any improvement is better but admit Toyota could have done much better and fitted better lights in the first place my 2008 prius had excellent lights

So why take a backwards step on a much later vehicle having 1 bulb to do everything also puts the units at a disadvantage and judging by the huge ammount of complaints on this issue  on forums everywhere Toyota need to take note of its loyal customers this is my 6th Toyota and the only other one I had  a problem with was the Avensis mk 2 series 1 where the lights where even worse Toyotas are fantastic reliable cars ive owned 6, so Toyota should try and iron out serious issues like this to maintain their customers like myself brand loyalty