Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many miles from your tank

frankie406

Hi folks how many miles do you get on your avensis d4d per tank? On my computer it will only go to 465 mile range but over a year ago it had a full tank range of 530 miles? Any ideas I've pulled the Battery terms off and still the same?

Hi Frank,

First off - which D4D, 2.0 or 2.2? If 2.0 then 1CD or 1AD engine (2006 is about the changeover)?

These will make a difference as will whether you have had your car serviced, tyre condition & inflation, load in/on car, the type of journey & driver that you are & the ambient temperature.

To give you an idea I typically average 42mpg winter - 45mpg summer over the year in mixed motoring. However, I have seen it range from under 30 to middle 60s depending upon the individual journey.

Also, remember that the car range counts down to "reserve" (afaik ~9 litres in an Avensis) & not empty. So when the car initially says range 0 you may in fact have enough fuel for another ~90 miles. It's typical Toyota caution.

• Like 2

Hi heid sorry it's the 2.0 1cdftv engine 2006 pre-facelift..cars always serviced before the recommended dates.with genuine parts.all tyres are at 38psi for long motorway miles.the mpg it not really what I'm asking it's the fuel range I'm looking to findo out it used to be 530 range in the full tank but now it's only 465 mile range.

yes, but mpg x fuel tank capacity=range. The difference in mpg caused by difference in summer & winter temps alone on my car would theoretically change the range displayed by ~40 miles.

It's possible that a software update to the car either changed the fuel economy or the parameters that it displays? Do you have it serviced at a Toyota dealer rather than an indy or yourself?

• Like 1

It's that tuning chip you've fitted, it modifies the signal from the injectors to fool the ECU into increasing the fuel flow. That's why the instant fuel readout shows low since the ECU is being fed false data and the real flow (and therefore the consumption) is higher. The range left is calculated from the distance covered against fuel left in the tank .

• Like 1

Heidfirst I service it myself I wouldn't give a dealer the money to do it lol.cheers for your replies 👍

Tom I've the box out and it's been the same as when it was in? I had just takin the Battery off again there the range was 439 put it back on and jumped back up to 459? Car has to go into Toyota for a recall on airbag so might ask them to update it.

I get 560 per tank. 2.0 d-cat. 53 litres to fill her up. Not bad... but my average mpg readout says 63mpg - which on 53l should give me 730 miles. 

So I reckon I'm getting 48mpg as worked out tank to tank.

Not sure how the car does the maths...

15 minutes ago, Norunec said:

2.0 d-cat.

in a 2004? I don't think so .... Or does your profile need changed?

Norunec I was driving it this morning and the reading of the average mpg was @64.3mpg @65mph.and on the momentary was on and off 69-72mpg.

A bit puzzled about this.but the tank still won't show up to 530+ range.might need to dig a bit deeper.

My 2009 2.0 D4D returns around 48-52mpg per tank according to the trip computer, although measuring it tank to tank myself always come up with 2-3mpg more. 

I previously had a Honda Accord 2.2 diesel which did 52-55mpg. I'd thought that as my Toyota was lower capacity, less power, and more modern, that it would be more fuel efficient than it's predeccessor, not less. 

Filled up on Sunday and got 499 mike fuel range.I the done 135 miles and when I started the car the next day it went to 444 mile fuel range and 63 mpg.

I typically get just over 600 miles between fill-ups. Average indicated mpg is 53-54. It tends to go down in winter though. Not bad for an 8 year car with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock! Mine is the D4D engine. I do one longish motorway run each week.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

hello i have a 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d business edittion and well from full to went down to light came on was 450miles any ideas on why mine is different car got 38k on clock