Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vibration at 55mph+ from Driveshaft

Norunec

Right. I'm a bit new to this Forum, so apologies in advance etc.

I've got a vibration that kicks in at about 55mph under aceleration.

It isn't the wheels, had them re-balanced, tyres have been checked.

I've ordered a new (OE quality) driveshaft, which as I type this, has just arrived!

I am going to swap it out but, does anyone know the part number for the oil seal?

And has anyone ever encountered a worn diff bearing/internal spline housing? The shaft feels like there's some movement!

Finally, when I take the wheel hub nut off, which has a punched in section, doe sit have to be replaced with a new one?

Any help gratefully received! Any other tips to doing this job also!

Cheers

Nick

Nick, the hub nut can be used again, but it may be wise to change it. I re-used my hub nut when changing a wheel bearing, because the one supplied in the third party kit was different.

I cannot say much about the diff bearing/internal spline, but that could be the cause of the vibration! With the car up in the air on a ramp and wheels off, put the car into top gear and get the speedo to show 60 mph. From underneath the driveshaft may show a wobble near the diff. A safer way is to check both sides to see if the play is the same. 

You don't say what engine your car has in profile, because the diesel and 2 litre petrol has an intermediate support bearing for the offside whilst the 1.8 and smaller petrol does not. The seals are different too! The follow are details for the 3 most common: - 

1.8 vvti - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_223W/powertrain-chassis/4302_front-drive-shaft

2 litre petrol -  http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/azt250l-awmehw/3_273550_012_223W/powertrain-chassis/4302_front-drive-shaft

Diesel version - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/cdt250r-almeyw/3_273550_083_223W/powertrain-chassis/4302_front-drive-shaft

Click on the part number to get the details.

Hi Konrad,

got the hub nut off, by using my talented local garage guy! He broke 2 1/2" bars doing it. 

And now, it's solved!

btw it's a d-cat. 

Unfortunately, it's started jumping out of 5th gear. And I replaced the gear/synchro ring about two months ago. 

Anybody got any ideas? New gearbox? New cables? Mounts?

It only takes a small amount of pressure to hold it in gear but I'm starting to lose the will to keep this car....:blink:

Well done with the drive shaft Nick. :thumbsup:

Unlucky with the 5th gear. :sad:

Maybe you can get another gearbox, but it depends on cost and if secondhand, condition. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links