Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Purchasing an Avensis wagon

annaspanner65

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2004 Avensis sport wagon. I am also looking at both a 2004 and 2005 station wagon. Before I get a pre purchase inspection on one of them, are there any problems or issues that anyone might offer input on as far as any of these cars go? Are there any years that are better/worse? Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks Anna

Petrol or diesel?

They are all petrol. Sorry I'm looking at a 2005 wagon and both a 2004 and a 2005 sport wagon.  Thanks Anna

which petrol engine(s)? The 1.8 VVTi of that era is known to potentially have an issue with oil consumption. Supposed to have been cured in production mid-2005 on. If you could stretch to a 2006 then that is also when the car was facelifted.

Headlights as standard aren't great but can be improved with uprated bulbs. Both front & rear light clusters can suffer from condensation/water ingress.

Brakes as standard are not the most confidence inspiring but they do ultimately work. Again, this can be improved with non-oem pads and/or discs. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much, that's so helpful. There is a 2006 wagon but it's 2362cc. It's made in the UK (not sure if that makes a difference)  It has done 124,000 kms and has had 1 owner.  It is NZ new. Is a bigger motor an issue other than more power and using more petrol? Thanks Anna

They were all made in the UK. :tongue:

You can tell the facelift cars by the different front grill & indicator repeaters in the door mirrors rather than on the wings.

The 2.4 is very rare in the UK so I don't really know anything about how reliable it is. Being a Toyota petrol & based on the engine in the Camry I imagine pretty good.

Don't know if you have found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avensis#Second_generation_.28T250.3B_2003.E2.80.932009.29

I checked on ToyoDIY, and that database show the 2.4 as 2AZ-FSE (direct injection), and only left-hand drive as a Wagon (estate)!

Direct injection can be known for carbon build up on the inlet side, but not so much with Toyota. 

Thanks for your info and have read the wikipedia website which was really helpful. I still like my camry and am only it's second owner but have decided I need a bit of an upgrade. If the engine is similar to the camry would be pretty happy with that as I've had no issues at all (apart from sagging roof lining). One more question, at what point would you say the km's are getting too high when looking at these cars? I realise a lot will depend on how well it's been looked after and serviced etc but most of the avensis here have been imported directly so am relying on pre purchase inspections. They are all in Auckland and I live 3 hours away so any I can cross off my list from afar is helpful.

I imagine the 2.4 is probably also an auto transmission, don't know if you would prefer auto or manual?

In the UK the T25 was very popular with private taxi operators so we know that the body/suspension etc. is good for very high mileage (certainly 150,000+) if  properly maintained.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links