Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wing mirror indicator light failed

weeleyboy

My 09 Avensis estate is fitted with indicator repeater lights in the wing mirrors and the o/s lamp has failed, They appear to be leds so presumably they are replaced as a unit? Does anyone know of a supplier (apart from Toyota) at a reasonable price? Is there any other reason why it could have failed?

Has it been damaged (cracked?) which may have allowed water ingress?  Could send Parts-King a personal message asking for a price - include your reg.no.

No visible damage to lens and no bumps I'm aware of. Will try Parts King.

Thanks

Derek

The cost of these door mirrors is ridiculous. I've not had them apart but the fault is either water ingress onto the leds or a continuity issue with the wiring. Either way I cannot see why the fault can't be resolved by using a length of LED strip lighting as a substitute. The feed for the door mirror is a multi-plug in the footwell and the wire for the indicator easily identified with a meter. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262453353235

20150510_132841_zps0a3e53d3.jpg

This shows the wiring in the driver's footwell (t25) - the white/black flex is spliced into the door light wire. 

I can't comment on your MOT question but any buyer in the future (particularly a garage when you trade it ) will spot the fault and use it push the price down unless you get it fixed. 

22 hours ago, weeleyboy said:

Would it fail the MOT if not working?

Yes.......PM Sent :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

No visible damage to lens and no bumps I'm aware of. Will try Parts King.

Thanks

Derek

Having looked at cost of buying part and potential fitting problems against dealer quote of £98 inc vat and fitting I would save £24 but fitting it outside is not attractive at this time especially allowing for the possibility of collateral damage so the dealer option seems the best bet. Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Derek

• Like 1

Had the new lamp fitted at dealers (ouch!) took about 30 minutes. I asked for the old one as a souvenir and was surprised to see there are only 3 led bulbs at the input end with a small circuit board. I did test it with a 12v supply and it is definitely dead so in the bin unless anyone wants to play with it.

• 4 years later...

Had the same issue with offside wing mirror. Managed to take the mirror unit apart easily enough...only broke one lug 🙄

It's the connection that's causing my indicator to stop working. Thought I'd sorted it with some electrical tape...but it's not working again today.

Any one know how to fix a loose connection? - tips or tricks.

I think it's more to do with the little black clip that goes into the LED array itself. What would that be called?

Difficult to find a replacement part when you don't know the proper term for the piece.

• 1 year later...

Mine has just gone, didn't even know that it had stopped.

Where did you get your replacement Hamish or any else for that matter as I've been looking for an hour and I'm really struggling!

Thanks in advance

On 10/29/2016 at 9:35 AM, gazza1286 said:

The cost of these door mirrors is ridiculous. I've not had them apart but the fault is either water ingress onto the leds or a continuity issue with the wiring. Either way I cannot see why the fault can't be resolved by using a length of LED strip lighting as a substitute. The feed for the door mirror is a multi-plug in the footwell and the wire for the indicator easily identified with a meter. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262453353235

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/gazza1286/Mobile%20Uploads/20150510_132841_zps0a3e53d3.jpg

This shows the wiring in the driver's footwell (t25) - the white/black flex is spliced into the door light wire. 

I can't comment on your MOT question but any buyer in the future (particularly a garage when you trade it ) will spot the fault and use it push the price down unless you get it fixed. 

yep i wonder can you just hack in a led strip into the dam thing to get it to work or even just a bulb like a indicator im guessing if it flashes should pas mot rightly as those things are expensive and always go out 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links