Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multifunction leather steering wheel removal

kenny lives

I wonder if anyone can help - have a tr3 1.3 2006 Yaris which has the multifunction leather steering wheel with airbag.

Every (and I mean every) tutorial on the web about removing yaris steering wheels has 'remove the two torx bolts'.

This wheel just plain does not have them - there appears to be a single hole on the back of the bottom ('third') spoke and that's it. Have taken off the column casings and nothing visible on rear face of the wheel either.

Take it as read that I know to unplug the Battery and take care of the airbag when removed - I just can't for the life of me see how I get the d***ed airbag off to get at the column and main bolt etc. Anybody know? 

Thanks in advance.

Solved - this guy 

is the only one to have 'got it'. 

To do this yourself, it's easier to lever the back of the steering wheel off (it's a push fit) and grapple with it while poking in to get at the spring releases with a screw driver.

Ignore all 'two torx screws' nonsense!!!

• 6 years later...

This is the same question I have. I'm needing to replace the stalks and the two torx points aren't there as shown in the manual purchased and in most videos on youtube etc. I have the same model as the original post author. The video being in another language and starting after the 'leverage' attempt has been made isn't directly informative, but I will try again looking for release points as per the authors reply to himself. If you are still here -- 2016 to 2022 -- I'd be grateful for a pointer or two. Thanks.

Now I know what I'm looking for -- 5 minutes and I found this having dismissed it without watching a dozen times in youtube searches -- hope this helps someone else too. Thanks.

This picture (courtesy of eBay), allegedly shows the rear of a 2006 Yaris airbag. Perhaps this helps show where your three clips are located.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ebeebf18cbb2b61ffa5521551b77e801.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links