Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

IQ alarm system

Nick Downes

Hi! I have recently acquired a 2009 !Q2. I tried to lock it with my suitcase in 

, but got an interrupted beep. The suitcase contained a lap top and an iPod. Does the sensor only cause the alarm when it identifies those sorts of equipment? Is it possible to temporarily disable the feature?

Hello Nick - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the IQ club.

Hi Nick and welcome

Are you sure the beep wasn't sounding because a door/tailgate wasn't fully closed? The alarm doesn't detect electronic devices (apart from an iQ transponder key)

I trust the spare key wasn't in the suitcase or somewhere in the car? 

I suggest you try again and check that doors and tailgate are closed properly.

Dave 

• Like 1

I'm not even sure the iQ has an alarm? 

I had a central locking problem once and I could lock it fine then open the door and an alarm never went off. I have also left windows open when locking it and heard nothing from it. I haven't yet tried locking the car with the windows open and then reach inside to operate the internal door release, that may be worth a try.

Craig.

It does have an alarm, but I think it is only set by double locking the doors. No motion sensor for the insede though.

• Like 1

Hi

Had mine broken into, passenger window busted and he reached inside to nick some stuff. alarm never went off, apparently you actually have to try and force the door open to activate, although i do believe if the rear window is forced that also sets it off.

Got it all on cctv, but unfortunately it was several hours after the event.

Tony

• Sad 1

The alarm is only triggered by the door switches, that includes rear/tailgate hatch and bonnet/hood.

• Like 1

Probably a form of perimeter alarm that is fitted, that activates when a door is opened through the door being forced or similar.

Alarms with interior protection (ultrasonic sensors or similar) detect motion within the vehicle - and activate typically when access is made through a broken window. 

A common method of breaking a car window is by throwing a used AA Battery or similar at the glass.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I've toyed with the idea of an additional alarm and/or immobiliser.

But haven't yet convinced myself... 

I’m surprised it is so basic - it sounds like the old ‘voltage drop’ systems that when it detected the interior light going on - it would trip.  Probably a bit late to nudge Toyota and ask if there’s an ability to add ultrasonics to it?

• Like 1

(This is in the manual, but in case you didn't know)... You can set off the alarm by locking the car from the remote, then unlocking the driver's door with the mechincal key (which I think is a slide-out on on the IQ2/IQ3). The alarm can then be silenced by unlocking the car from the remote.

Been there, tried that and I am sure the neighbours didn't appreciate the racket at 8:15am 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 11:39 AM, PCM said:

I've toyed with the idea of an additional alarm and/or immobiliser.

But haven't yet convinced myself... 

For effective immobiliser.. think about a hidden switch inline of your break pedal switch.
Whatever happens.. breaking window.. steal key signal..  OBD2 hack... but it_will_never_start.

• Like 1

Good idea! Sorry to be pedantic but you'd want to use the clutch pedal switch on a non-CVT car.

(Now I need to check there's actually a switch! There must be something as a manual won't start without the clutch pedal pressed down).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

... has anyone fitted/had fitted, an additional alarm or immobiliser to their IQ?

Always paranoid about security...

Hi, I have used a disklock for the last 17 years and although won't stop a physical break in, becouse of the keyless entry, it gives me reassurance that there's less chance of the car being driven off and hopefully may put anybody off trying.

20231207_155205.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone HAS fitted an alarm, I'd be interested in the brand. Cobra looks good - to me...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links