Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Davewm5

Good morning all

Recently bought a 2012 Toyota Auris 1.6 V Matic. I'm really pleased with the car as it replaces a Honda Jazz which had a very hard ride.

I'm interested in playing music from itunes that is currently on my iPod.

With the Jazz I had to put it through the Aux input to play through the car, however I assumed that I could just load the music on to a memory stick

and plug it into the usb port. When I tried this it just came up saying no files found?

Anyone got any idea's.

Thanks

Dave

Hello David - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Looking at your profile, is your Toyota really Autistic?

Have you tried another memory stick?

Thanks for welcome and reply.

Yes I have tried another memory stick and that didn't work either.

Dave

ps Just spotted profile error. Although if it is the Autistic model maybe that's why it's not reading the files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Davewm5
Addition made.

What head unit does the car have?

I assume the OP has looked at the owners manual. I looked at both the Auris and Avensis manuals and both state that the memory stick should be formatted to Fat 16/32 (Windows).

The following are quoted from the manual:

The sampling bit rates MPEG1 AUDIO LAYER II, III: 32-320 kbps,  MPEG2 AUDIO LAYER II, III: 32-160 kbps, MPEG2.5: 32-160 kbps.

The manual advises for best playback:-

 Extensions If the file extensions .mp3 and .wma are used for files other than MP3 and WMA files, they will be skipped (not played).

 Playback • To play MP3 files with steady sound quality, we recommend a fixed bit rate of at least 128 kbps and a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz. • There is a wide variety of freeware and other encoding software for MP3 and WMA files on the market, and depending on the status of the encoding and the file format, poor sound quality or noise at the start of playback may result. In some cases, playback may not be possible at all.

Then there are the folders.

 Compatible devices USB memory that can be used for MP3 and WMA playback

 Compatible device formats The following device formats can be used:

• USB communication formats: USB2.0 FS (12 mbps)

• File formats: FAT16/32 (Windows)

• Correspondence class: Mass storage class MP3 and WMA files written in any format other than those listed above may not play correctly, and their file names and folder names may not be displayed correctly. Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:

• Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels

• Maximum number of folders in a device: 999 (including the root)

• Maximum number of files in a device: 65025

• Maximum number of files per folder: 255  MP3 and WMA files MP3 (MPEG Audio LAYER 3) is a standard audio compression format.

Files can be compressed to approximately 1/10 of their original size using MP3 compression. WMA (Windows Media Audio) is a Microsoft audio compression format. This format compresses audio data to a size smaller than that of the MP3 format.

There is a limit to the MP3 and WMA file standards that can be used and to the media/formats on which the files are recorded.

I have experienced this issue in the past, on different car and USB adaptors, when trying use different USB memory sticks, either a friends or my own. Once corrected, the USB will play fine.  

• Like 1

Does it recognise the device, my Aygo the physical port was kaput, as it wouldn't read anything other than power a at sat nav via USB ! 

Yes, it does recognize it but just says files not found.

Get a spare old small (4gb?) usb stick. Make sure it works reliably on your computer. 

Format it yourself as MSDOS "FAT16" or "FAT32". 

Just copy a single mp3 file (that truly is in basic real mp3 format) onto the stick. Nothing else for now. 

Try that as a really basic test of the unit's functionality. 

If it works, then the unit is working. And if your first usb stick doesn't, then there's something wrong with that stick - or more likely its contents. Note from Konrad C's post above that there are strict (and easily exceeded) limits on the number of folders/directories and the number of files that the unit can handle on a single stick. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links