Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Super Unleaded

cokg2

I too stick premium grade unleaded into my little beauty and I swear it makes a difference! Maybe its just the placebo effect but I'm a happy driver, my car is happy and only for a few pennies more.

This is a very old chestnut but personally I do achieve better MPG and smoother running when using V power or similar.

My Yaris gets treated to some when I see it "at the right price" ;)

So we've established that using a premium unleaded fuel is better for our little darlings.

Now... Which is the best premium fuel to use? BP Ultimate, Esso Excellium, Shell V power, etc. etc.

I use BP Ultimate quite a lot and am very happy with the results.

Right, I'm gonna fill her up with some Shell optimax tomorrow seeing as its payday.

gonna stick some redex in whilst im at it aswell, keep the old yaris happy :D

Add me to the list. I allways use premium fuel be it Shell or whoever else. I use it in the bike aswell and that thing loves it!! :D

It's no problem, I find my Yaris dives much better on Super; I always use super unleaded; Tesco is 99 RON and not that much more than standard 95Ron. I find throttle response is better, power is better and economy is always much improved so the extra cost is justified by the improved economy.

The higher RON rating prevents detonation or 'Knocking' which is what happens when an engine is under load; ie, seriously thrashed at a track day for instance. thus is actually better for your engine if you happen to drive a little hard. Plus there is often improved additives which can help clean your fuel system/injectors/valves etc.

My Yaris gets treated to some Tesco's 99 Super Unleaded sometimes, although to be perfectly honest I don't see that much of a difference. I mean, response is better, but the difference from "normal" grade fuel isn't as substantial as the cost of premium grade fuel.

Having said that though, while in Germany with my Dad's M3 we swore by the 100 octane Shell v-power stuff on offer. Very expensive, but that defiantely had a whole range of perks! Handy for a thrash around the Nurburgring! :P

The petrol station near Maranello's (ferrari importer) sells 102 octane unleaded at 242p per litre!

Just to pitch in on this topic.... when I had my 350Z I always tried to use Tesco 99RON and the car went nicely compared to when I had to buy normal unleaded. The ECU always knew what to do and kept the car ticking over the way it should do but still it ran better on the higher octane, especially at the nigher and naughtier speeds :blush::rolleyes:

As for the Shell, Esso or BP stuff I would not bother but if you like it then stick with it! It is all down to pricing and personal choice.

The petrol station near Maranello's (ferrari importer) sells 102 octane unleaded at 242p per litre!

Ooft, sounds fun! :P Ouch on the price though! :wacko:

I put it in the Yaris everynow and then too and I do feel a difference plus seem to get more miles to the tank aswell. However the Yaris only gets it when the price is decent - I won't put it in anymore in the Yaris until when/if prices drop again.

I put 99ron in the MR2 anyway as it really has to have 98ron or higher and yesterday the price of it at Tesco was 102.9 (eeek).

cheers for all the replies. filled up last night with 34litres of BP Ultimate (had about 43 miles left in my tank) and it was at 105.9p so it was pretty expensive. the station i went to is usually pretty expensive but i wasnt too fussed.

only driven her a mile back up the road so if ill see what i think during the week. ill have to find a Shell close to me, i know where all the garages are just not what brand they are:D i think theres one up the road (Shell for their v power)

Anyone noticed fuel prices slooooowly increasing again?? :censor:

the premium stuff also has addatives in to clear the gunk from your pipes and tank and that, the same as redex, is why i used it in my punto every so often

Anyone noticed fuel prices slooooowly increasing again?? :censor:

Yuh, not good, its gone up 8 pence per litre in a month up here.. :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links