Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How bad is the damage?

Anthony Poli

Hi,

I had the front tyres changed and it looks like the fitter has put the jack in the wrong place. So now the front wing is distorted where it meets the sil.

dba729d58476c2e7f0ca328dfc9bf084.jpg

The other side is normal.

20c69f1bf5c6166c898d4d3d9608c5d3.jpg

Can anybody tell me how much damage have they done.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they have flattened the flange, which has forced the positioning of the wing away from where it should be flush with the sill.

I'd go back to them and say you want a bodyshop to look at it.

Why do they do this sort of thing when there are perfectly good jacking points provided on the car!  :angry: If you look under the car on your second picture there is a big bolt head that holds the sub frame on and I always jack under there on my car, it's a very solid mounting.

If you are not in the mood for complaining and likely getting nowhere, I have repaired this kind of damage myself in the past on other cars. The metal is surprisingly flexible and you will be able to (carefully) bend it all back into shape with a pair of pipe grips. Work along the seam in small increments inching it back in small steps. Unfortunately you will likely break the paint finish so paint it again with some sealer or wax anti corrosion when you are finished. 

If you pay a body shop to do the work they will do the same as I suggested, There is nothing else really you can do.

Craig.

• Like 1

i dont want to be negative but i think you will be lucky if they put their hands up and admit liability

my work mate had the same happen to his porsche it was jacked up on his sill and ended up with 2 dents

from the rubber lifting mounts,the garage repaired his car but as a gesture of goodwill as our company uses the

garage a lot , fingres crossed for you

The sills on both sides of my Auris were like this when I bought the car. I only really noticed after I'd owned it for a few months but I'm convinced it didn't happen during my ownership as the car hadn't been jacked since I bought it . The metal is surprisingly soft and I was able to bend it back to some extent so at least the damage wasn't visible from above . 

• Like 1

Just waiting for them to take a look at it now.

The sills on both sides of my Auris were like this when I bought the car. I only really noticed after I'd owned it for a few months but I'm convinced it didn't happen during my ownership as the car hadn't been jacked since I bought it . The metal is surprisingly soft and I was able to bend it back to some extent so at least the damage wasn't visible from above . 

I was the only person to have jacked the car before, but the other side and used the supplied jack in the correct place. Hopefully the new tyres will last as long as I have the car.

Just a quick update. They are going to get it fixed, sometime next week.

• Like 1

Excellent, I didn't think you'd have a problem. Our local Kwik-Fit managed to bend the sill on the wife's Polo a few years back, after the idiot released the trolley jack and the pole fouled the underside as the car came down, and the manager just sort of groaned and paid up.

The next time I used them, they put an oversized pair of tyres onto the back wheels (about 2 centimetres too big in diameter), and I didn't actually notice their error until the car failed its MOT for having non-matching boots. The same manager groaned again and replaced the tyres and said the fitter concerned didn't work for him any more. :biggrin: 

And another time, a different fitter managed to fit a pair of directional Michelins with the inside surface outward and the outside in. I wouldn't have minded, but he was working for ATS Euromaster, who are owned by Michelin! 

The moral: don't ever trust a tyre fitter's work without checking it personally. Ever. :angry:

• Like 1

Excellent, I didn't think you'd have a problem. Our local Kwik-Fit managed to bend the sill on the wife's Polo a few years back, after the idiot released the trolley jack and the pole fouled the underside as the car came down, and the manager just sort of groaned and paid up.

The next time I used them, they put an oversized pair of tyres onto the back wheels (about 2 centimetres too big in diameter), and I didn't actually notice their error until the car failed its MOT for having non-matching boots. The same manager groaned again and replaced the tyres and said the fitter concerned didn't work for him any more. biggrin.png 

And another time, a different fitter managed to fit a pair of directional Michelins with the inside surface outward and the outside in. I wouldn't have minded, but he was working for ATS Euromaster, who are owned by Michelin! 

The moral: don't ever trust a tyre fitter's work without checking it personally. Ever. :angry:

On my first car, I needed an alloy wheel repaired. They had put the tyre on the wrong way round.

Last week I had an apprentice doing the tyres.

I've had experience of Quick Fit simply rebalancing a wheel (after a puncture repair) and not bothering to remove the original weights first.

Had four new tyres fitted to Auris early in the year and have nothing but praise for the AA's mobile tyre fitters that did the job. Soft cushion airbags were used for the lifting, torque wrenches and a lookup chart for the tightening of bolts, and first class balancing. Cheaper than Quick Fit to.  

Pleased to hear that the thread starter is getting his issue fixed.

2 minutes ago, Mooly said:

have nothing but praise for the AA's mobile tyre fitters

This times a million. I've started to use a company called Event Tyres who are (effectively) the AA mobile tyre fitter people and they've been brilliant. Prompt, quick without being careless, and attentive. Can not recommend them enough.

have nothing but praise for the AA's mobile tyre fitters

This times a million. I've started to use a company called Event Tyres who are (effectively) the AA mobile tyre fitter people and they've been brilliant. Prompt, quick without being careless, and attentive. Can not recommend them enough.

I wished that I had paid the extra and used event tyres. Instead I saved 80 quid and got free hassle.

Still waiting for them to call me.

well i wouldn't wait any longer just give them a ring or go in when they have customers around

i am sure they wont want anyone to hear what your saying and hopefully have you booked in for

the repair whilst your at the centre.

With being ill last week, I only managed to go back to them on Monday. They have sorted the problem out, still they were arguing that it was their fault.

To save going through anymore hassle, I will be adding some underbody paint myself.

13 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

They have sorted the problem out, still they were arguing that it was their fault.

If they hadn't done the damage they wouldn't be sorting it out. So they can protest all they want, the fact they're fixing it means they accept the liability.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/4/2016 at 9:53 PM, Anthony Poli said:

Hi,

I had the front tyres changed and it looks like the fitter has put the jack in the wrong place. So now the front wing is distorted where it meets the sil.

dba729d58476c2e7f0ca328dfc9bf084.jpg

The other side is normal.

20c69f1bf5c6166c898d4d3d9608c5d3.jpg

Can anybody tell me how much damage have they done.

Thanks

Hi Anthony I have the same problem! Could you please confirm did the tyre company fix it themselves or did they take it to a bodywork shop? If so could you please give the details where it was repaired? Much appreciated 

Hi Imran and welcome to the club.

You've replied to a post that is more than 3 years old.  You should start a new thread for your own topic.

15 hours ago, Stivino said:

You've replied to a post that is more than 3 years old.  You should start a new thread for your own topic.

Not as bad as some who are posting on really old posts. I see your point.

15 hours ago, Toyota4lyf said:

Hi Anthony I have the same problem! Could you please confirm did the tyre company fix it themselves or did they take it to a bodywork shop? If so could you please give the details where it was repaired? Much appreciated 

Hi Imran
If you went through all the responses, Anthony did state that he got back to them and they sorted out the damage, though he painted the area after. I noticed similar damage to my Avensis, which I think happened before I owned the car. The bend was so bad, the jack could'n't be used. I repaired the damage myself. Here's my post with photos - 

The tricky point is proving who did the damage. What I have done in the past, if giving a car to a garage you have not used before, is take photos of the car. I did it a couple of times when the clutch was replaced, and a recall. Since I do most things on the car myself, I can only blame myself.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:09 PM, Stivino said:

Thank you Stivino. I did consider starting a new post, however I've often seen responses along the lines of 'topic/thread already exists'. Given how identical my problem was I sought info from someone who obviously had experience in this. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, Konrad C said:

Not as bad as some who are posting on really old posts. I see your point.

Hi Imran
If you went through all the responses, Anthony did state that he got back to them and they sorted out the damage, though he painted the area after. I noticed similar damage to my Avensis, which I think happened before I owned the car. The bend was so bad, the jack could'n't be used. I repaired the damage myself. Here's my post with photos - 

The tricky point is proving who did the damage. What I have done in the past, if giving a car to a garage you have not used before, is take photos of the car. I did it a couple of times when the clutch was replaced, and a recall. Since I do most things on the car myself, I can only blame myself.

Thanks Konrad C! I know Anthony stated it was repaired, I just wanted to know if he specifically witnessed the repair procedure or if the garage outsourced this. Nevertheless thank you for your pics they do help. The garage that buggered mine mentioned they would fix it by hammer/pliers which tbh makes me feel uneasy. I'm looking to take it to a panel beater as I don't have these tools. Showed it to a bodyshop too who basically said they would just use hammer/pliers etc to just straigten it back. I'm just worried about metal fatigue and like you said, hammering did not help. Not based in or around Yorkshire are you? I'd pay you to repair mine if you could 😂 you've done a great job judging from them pics!

Sorry only just noticed the post.
The tyre place sorted it out and made sure I never went back there again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links