Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 blocked accelleration (solved?)

Lukas Urbanavičius

Hello ToyotaHeads,

So I have a problem with my 2003 2.0 D4D Rav4 that is similar as described in here: 

As there was no real end to the discussion I ended up doing diagnostics for it. Here's the results: It came up with 3 fault codes: 

P0101   Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance

P0105   Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit

P1251 Step Motor for Turbocharger Control Circuit (Intermittent)

My question is what do these actually mean, which parts are to be looked at here, how to locate them, and are they a DIY job or is it better to leave it to the pros? Not afraid to get my hands dirty but never messed around with airflow and electronics.. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Lukas Urbanavičius said:

For the update, changed the airflow sensor, didn't do a damn thing. Any thoughts? Any at all?

When my previous Nissan Almera DCi used to get a bit sluggish, I would run a combo of these products through the engine.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wynns-Professional-Diesel-Clean-3-Fuel-System-Injector-Cleaner-EGR-Spray-Set-/401024275594?hash

Then I would give it an Italian Tune-up to blow all the crap out of the system. It would help to restore the power back to the engine and stopped the annoying flat spots and hesitation.

Trying this now. Will update how it went. Where did you spray the egr3? Seems there are 4 different ways to use it. I sprayed it directly through the air intake manifold pipe, seem to have done what it should of making the engine cough. Also, did you go for the tune up straight after going for a calm drive to get the egr3 out of the system? Says here avoid heavy loads on the engine. So did you go with the diesel clean still in the tank or afrer it had run out? Thanks

I used to take the air filter out and spray it from the air filter box. It used to take me a few miles to drive to the motorway, where I would carry out the Italian Tune-up.

So really it was a calm drive followed by the tune up. I used to drive for around 10 miles with the revs at around 4k. You don't have to do it on a motorway, but it is probably the best place to drive, using higher revs, without looking like an idiot. Driving around town in second gear will get you funny looks :blink:

Be prepared to see loads of black crap exiting the exhaust. This is of course a good thing.

Well, it's done now. Went for about 20 miles redlining the poor Rav. Going for a long drive used to clear it up anyways but after an engine restart, the problem would persist. We'll see how this goes. :/

I wish you well with restoring the performance back to your Rav4.

Personally, I always had problems, in the Almera, with the EGR valve. It was forever getting gunked up and affecting the engine performance.