Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

previa t spirit 2004 sunroof problem

ma4

hi fellow previa owners

the front sunroof on my previa t spirit 2004 model is leaking. think its the drain that is blocked but can't find where it is.

was wondering if anyone knew how to find the drain and unblock it?

any help will be much appreciated.

May sound obvious but open the sunroom right up, look around the whole rim and take close up photos, if possible, this way you can then study the photos later.

Have you tried getting schematics?

tried to look around but couldn't see anything as there's not enough room.

thought someone else might have come up with the same problem.

will try the photo angle though.

haven't explored the schematics option.

where would I get them from?

• 3 months later...

Had this problem.   You might be able to see the drain channels with a small inspection mirror.   (No, I couldn't either !-)   But my cure was:

In the closed position, go round the perimeter of the seal, poking with a strip of paper, card or very thin plastic to determine exactly where (and how big) the gaps are.

(On a warm dry day) clean the gaps and rubber seal, then squeeze silicone sealant into the gaps (or all the way) along the front of the sunroof.   On my Previa, the front seemed to have the biggest gaps.

If you think the sides or rear need closing up, carefully put a thin bead of the sealant along the edge of the rubber in the open position, cover  the sealant with cling film to prevent sealing it shut, then close and leave for several days (at least) before peeling off the cling film.  

For the back and sides, if you are really skilful, possibly run a thin even bead of sealant around the edge of the roof (on top) exactly where the rubber overlap comes down onto it.   (And cover with cling film before closing.)

And this has cured all leaks?

Another option is to ascertain why there was a larger gap at the front of the van? If it's the seal and not the movement of the sunroof then a replacement seal is needed.

My Previa is 2003, so my theory is that the gap is caused by the rubber seal suffering from old age, shrinkage and a lack of flexibility.

Even if the part is available, the seal appears to be bonded to the glass, so replacement would be much more difficult.

My solution has almost cured the problem, but more gaps need filling.   It helps if I don't park pointing downhill when it rains !

Persevere Frank. You're bound to cure it with your determination.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links