Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel smell in cab

minesaguinness

I have a 2003 MR2 Roadster which I've owned for around 6 years...

I've recently developed a smell of petrol in the cabin which is more noticeable when the car has been parked in the garage with windows closed.

There is no smell or sign of leak in the engine compartment or anywhere outside the car. The smell was more noticeable from the storage bins. I've stripped out the storage bins to get to the grommet above the fuel sender wiring sensor. From this point there is no smell of fuel whatsoever from the top of the tank so I'm quite convinced that the top of the tank is not perforated or any hose leaking.

Having done some very close up 'sniffing', I can only detect the smell of fuel from the area of the ECU so I believe there is possibly a vent tube somewhere in the chassis in that area.

On another forum I've read that there may be an issue with a breather valve and a 'fix' has been to remove the breather pipe from the chassis and re-route it to the back of the car but so far, I haven't been able to find  where this hose enters the chassis.

If anyone has any experience of this I'd be grateful to hear from you

Phil

• 3 months later...

There IS a vent tube culminating in a filter/non-return valve and its likely to be blocked, On mine its low down in front of engine compartment on left but yours might be different, Available from dealers cheap.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links