Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris won't start properly/reliably

lith89

Hey - First time posting here - let me if this is the wrong forum/section etc.

Took Yaris (2006 manual) in for a service a couple weeks ago, and in the service had the fuel filter changed. Got the car back after the service and it ran well but stunk of fuel (awfully strong, partner and I felt a bit sick from it). Anyway, we took the car back in the next day as it hadn't gone away and turns out they hadn't, if I remember right, put a cap back on correctly. So took the car home, next day the fuel smell came back and the car was now having trouble starting. It would "crank" but not start on the first go, requiring up to 3 attempts to start. So we took the car back in again and they said they hadn't put the fuel pump back together properly (something about an O ring?) and they had fixed that, though they weren't sure exactly if that was causing the problems with the car starting. So, again, we take the car back and the fuel smell is now gone but the car is really struggling to start every now and then (maybe every second time we use the car it takes a couple tries to get the car to start). We replaced the Battery, just in case it was that, turns out it wasn't. Called them about this, they said there not sure what's wrong. One other thing we've noticed since the service is - when we refuel and fill the car the meter isn't saying full, it's showing one bar under, something it hasn't done before. So I've kinda just given up for now, with work being busy taking it back in this often is a little bit difficult. 

These are all new problems that popped up after being serviced, car's been remarkably reliable for the last 10 years.

TL;DR - 

Took car in for service.
Took car back as car stank of fuel when driven.
They put the "cap" back on properly.
Took car back again, fuel smell still there and car cranks but won't start all the time.
They said pump wasn't put back together properly (O ring?).
Car still won't start properly/reliably, and fuel meter doesn't show full when filled.
We replaced the Battery just in case it was that, didn't help with anything.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

....and all the previous servicing during the preceding 10 years, where was that carried out?

I have absolutely no idea about levels or methods of redress you have over there but if it were me, I'd be pretty peeved if any garage said to me that "they're not sure what's wrong" and I'd be looking for an alternate opinion rapidly. Then again, also if it were me, I wouldn't take a car to be serviced by any independent garage in any event...

Previous servicing was either done at Toyota or a different independent chain. We recently moved so had to change, this being our first experience with Bridgestone. Bridgestone are a large chain with seemingly good reviews, is it common to have problems with them (independent garages)?

We're not sure where to go from here, other than a different place.

Difficult to give any sound advice since you're on the other side of the planet to me but in my own experience, unless an independent garage can prove to me that they have manufacturer trained staff and expertise for the particular mark/brand of vehicle that they propose to service, then I simply won't use them as it usually turns out to be a false economy over going to a main dealer for service; even given the usual higher costs involved... At least by using the main dealer, I get the job done correctly, efficiently (usually) and with some kind of warranty associated with a given repair task.

Also, in my current situation of driving/owning a 2014 (purchased new) Yaris Hybrid, I wouldn't even dream of going anywhere near an independent with that (not withstanding that it has 5 years of warranty anyway...)

You're very welcome. Sorry I couldn't be of any more useful help.