Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door crack on 2012 Avensis Tourer!!

estate

yes, but actual production has generally been 30,000+ even in the last few years when this class has fallen off a cliff so there is definitely 200,000+ (& probably 300000+) in Europe .

51 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

yes, but actual production has generally been 30,000+ even in the last few years when this class has fallen off a cliff so there is definitely 200,000+ (& probably 300000+) in Europe .

My post wasn't calling into question the number that may be in Europe, it was just providing an indication of how many there are in the UK.

It is unlikely that door cracks only appear on UK market cars so you have to look at the total volume as to whether or not it was worth Toyota engineering a solution as to repairing problems when they arise - that is what their accountants will do.

15 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

It is unlikely that door cracks only appear on UK market cars so you have to look at the total volume as to whether or not it was worth Toyota engineering a solution as to repairing problems when they arise - that is what their accountants will do.

There was no implication in my post that the issue was only related to UK cars, or how Toyota would view the issue as regards a remedy.

As stated previously the post was just an indication as to how many Avensis there are in the UK. Move on.

I have checked my car over today and here is a list of faults I'll be contacting Toyota 

1) drivers door is cracking

2) unlock/lock rocker switch on door only one light working

3) oil leak from sump area back of engine gearbox end only weeping

4) braking gently at high speed vibration through pedal not there at lower speeds

5) boot dosent go up all the way have to push it up last 6 inches ( only really noticed when the wife banged her head added to mental list while laughing ). 

I shall be contacting them next week to book the car in . I'll keep you informed .

image.jpeg

As regards the tailgate, I had a similar issue with my last Auris. One of the struts had failed - replaced both under warranty without quibble.

My last comments...

(We have a 2010 t4 model saloon diesel, but no sign in the slightest of any cracking,  im beginning to wonder why not since it appears to be a common issue)

Morning All,

Trust me, im eating those last words today...with ketchup too.

Whilst waiting in the car for my other half hundreds of miles away from home, i got bored, decided to open my drivers door a little wider, wiped the inside with a tissue, and there it was...THE CRACK...very slight though but its similar to the posted pics above. And yup the passenger door affected too!!! 

So what should i do guys? Is it worth getting it fixed? What would happen if we didnt? Worried about if they repair it whether the paint match would be good. The car is under extended warranty till jan 2018.

Please advise, love the car, as thirsty as it is, but so comfortable!

3 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Whilst waiting in the car for my other half hundreds of miles away from home, i got bored, decided to open my drivers door a little wider, wiped the inside with a tissue, and there it was...THE CRACK...very slight though but its similar to the posted pics above. And yup the passenger door affected too!!! 

So what should i do guys? Is it worth getting it fixed? What would happen if we didnt? Worried about if they repair it whether the paint match would be good. The car is under extended warranty till jan 2018.

Please advise, love the car, as thirsty as it is, but so comfortable!

As far as I'm aware the extended warranty covers the mechanicals, not bodywork. If you bought it from a dealer within the last six months, it would be worth taking it back under the Consumers Rights Act 2015 - 

Otherwise see what your dealer says, and whether Toyota may consider a goodwill contribution.

4 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Not good news as the extended warranty doesn’t cover body work repairs, unless it's corrosion.

Have a read at this:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/155620/watchdog-toyota-refuses-to-help-on-avensis-door-crack

Your profile shows you as non UK Sam, I would think the best solution is to speak to your local Toyota dealership and hope they and Toyota are sympathetic and may assist you with the repair cost or seek legal advice.

16 minutes ago, estate said:

Not good news as the extended warranty doesn’t cover body work repairs, unless it's corrosion. 

In which case it would be covered by the 12 year corrosion warranty, rather than the extended warranty.

The case linked to was first featured in Auto Express, the sister magazine to Carbuyer - Dennis Publishing tend to share articles between their mags.

Sam is in Leicestershire, so the Consumer Rights Act may be the way forward.

30 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In which case it would be covered by the 12 year corrosion warranty, rather than the extended warranty.

Defiantly not corrosion, its metal fatigue caused by poor design.

9 minutes ago, estate said:

Defiantly not corrosion, its metal fatigue caused by poor design.

Which is why the Auto Express/Carbuyer Watchdog case was rejected by Toyota

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which is why the Auto Express/Carbuyer Watchdog case was rejected by Toyota

Doesn’t mean it was the morally correct decision, made by Toyota.  Enough said on this, move on.

Whilst passing my local taxi rank this morning, I noticed one of the drivers wiping down his '09 plate Avensis saloon minicab. Hardly a day goes by without me seeing the car plying the area's roads - it seems in constant use.

Knowing that it obviously gets some hammer, I wandered over and asked whether it had any door crack problems and the said he'd checked them before and they were both fine! Also, the e-parking brake had never given any bother either. It had just gone past 200,000 miles!

Just goes to show that the fault clearly affects some cars and not others, and is very much just the luck of the draw.

1 hour ago, Berengaria said:

Just goes to show that the fault clearly affects some cars and not others, and is very much just the luck of the draw.

One of Toyota's successes was that they never made "Friday afternoon or Monday morning cars", looks like they have now caught the decease.

update: Dealer has been in touch this morning to say that they have had the formal approval from Toyota (~2 weeks after inspection by area service manager) to replace my door - just need to order the part & book it in.

Scott, does your local Toyota centre have it's own body shop or do they use a local Toyota approved garage? May be worth checking out any feedback and reviews on them. Hope all goes well. 

they have their own bodyshop.

Dealer tells me that the part, which should be on a 2 day lead time, is on 3 week back order. Guess that Toyota are fixing a few ... :wink:

By part Scott,  I take it Toyota are supplying the complete door for your car?   

So I believe.

19 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Guess that Toyota are fixing a few ... :wink:

Or maybe the current fix to cure the problem, isn’t working and they are having a rethink.

• 1 month later...

Update: door replaced by dealer just prior to me going away to US for 2 weeks. Door itself looks to be a cheapish part (iirc £60) but then there is the labour to strip & replace all the window gear, trim etc. plus paint & a courtesy car for a few days. I noticed that the door check arm appears not to have been changed.

• 3 years later...

Hi I know this has been a few years but has anyone got any pics of repairs to these doors or have there been any repair kits made for them both my doors are cracked and not to sure how to approach repairing them

11 minutes ago, Cummins t27 said:

Hi I know this has been a few years but has anyone got any pics of repairs to these doors or have there been any repair kits made for them both my doors are cracked and not to sure how to approach repairing them

Have a look through this post for ideas:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links