Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

16 inch

offashead

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

So why are manufacturers fitting ever larger wheels and smaller tyres?  All the time we see people either being advised to change to a smaller wheel/larger tyre.  Is it a styling and marketing ploy or to increase resistance to rolling?

Does a larger alloy and smaller rubber reduce the unsprung weight and therefore improve stated fuel consumptions?

Hi, actually the smaller wheels with higher profile tyres has lower mass and less unsprung weight therefore they are very beneficial for fuel efficiency and comfort. The only reason manufacturers equip newer models with larger low profile tyres sets is the look and to fill up the massive wheel arches to comply with the latest design and to compete between the makes, some manufacturers give options to choose, some even switch back to more standard like wheels and tyres and some had even designed the wheels to be aerodynamic to save on energy/fuel., Toyota does that too with Prius but not with Corolla. Low profile tyres has only one benefit, they hold the car better in extreme cornering but at the price of a lost comfort, more noise, vibrations, kerbed wheels and cut tyre walls. 

• Like 1

The reason for larger wheels and thinner tyres is just a "Fad" - bit like shirt collars almost pointing backwards.  Before long shirt collars will start slowly coming forward again so you will need to buy more new shirts to keep up to date and wheels will start getting smaller again with thicker tyres.  It is all a sales ploy - got to keep up with the fashion of the time. God forbid being out of date!

I remember years ago working for certain camera making company.  The camera internals were exactly the same (for years) but the front plate was a different colour for that year and the number of people who bought the new cameras having only bought the earlier version a few months before was amazing - just to keep up with the fashion of the time and to be able to say they had the latest model.  Wheels are the same - must have the latest version - more money for the companies selling them of course.  Must keep up to date with the latest fashion!  The fact that the comfort level is less, the tyres more expensive and do not last as long is of little interest as long as you have the latest fad of the day.  

Also in most cases and the Auris Hybrid is an example, the 16" wheels do more to the gallon than the 17" wheels - not  large difference but a difference nevertheless.

The hope of the companies selling the cars is that you will change your car for the latest model not just change your wheels - perhaps this is why they are now making cars that will only take a particular wheel size - stop you changing the wheels for something more comfortable - buy a are car instead!

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got 17” Toyota alloys on my Auris Excel hybrid hatchback with 225/45 R17 Dunlop Sport SP Fast Response tyres on mine which I believe are the original tyres it left the factory with. 

I’m happy with how it looks, how it handles, how it rides (comfort), how it grips, and how quiet the tyres are.

I have just 11,000 miles on my car from new. It’s a 2016 model. I bought it used a month ago. 

04B97FFE-0D73-4ADB-B704-4B58FA15B047.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links