Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Nav

Pugmanic

Hi, I am looking in to buy a first Gen Auris Hybrid (around 2010/11), and have been looking at the T-Spirit spec. There looks to be a £1000+ difference in price between cars with and without Toyota factory Sat Nav. 

I guess I have 2 questions; 

1. Is the Nav / Entertainment system any good?
  2. Is it possible to retro-fit the Nav system at a later date (if so what components would I need)? 

Many thanks

Nick

welcome to the forum :smile:

1. at the time it was, at best, OK. It is now 5+ old hardware which is an age in modern electronics. Map updates are currently ~£109 & the actual map data is usually 1 year old by the time that Toyota release an update.

2. yes, it is a modular system so the satnav module plugs into the back of the head unit. You would need to get the appropriate satnav module & aerial - this is iirc s0mething like £800 from a Toyota dealer.

Personally I would recommend a large screen smartphone  running Google maps or similar or a large screen Garmin/Tomtom - both will be cheaper & more up to date than the oem satnav.

• Like 1

Agreed, the navigation part of the system is nowhere near as easy to use, up-to-date, cheap, etc as Google Maps. 

If its on the used car that you have found and that you want then fine, just don't pay any extra because its there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2010 model last year without, we also have a 2013 yaris with the touch and go. Prefer the sat nav on my mobile, as the built in one is slow.

The only other difference is the fancy display for mpg or displaying what is driving the wheels.

• Like 1

Add the reverse camera that tends to come with touchscreen. Like everyone else has said - don't pay over the odds just for an inferior satnav. 

18 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Add the reverse camera that tends to come with touchscreen. Like everyone else has said - don't pay over the odds just for an inferior satnav. 

Personally I prefer the rear camera showing up on my mirror like in my Auris, 2 views in one without moving your head.

2 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Personally I prefer the rear camera showing up on my mirror like in my Auris, 2 views in one without moving your head.

I have seen them on various sites and from sellers. Was yours an aftermarket model? I would go with the reversing screen in the mirror for my Avensis. 

There are so many options to add or buy third party satnav systems, most are far cheaper too!

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

I have seen them on various sites and from sellers. Was yours an aftermarket model? I would go with the reversing screen in the mirror for my Avensis. 

There are so many options to add or buy third party satnav systems, most are far cheaper too!

I'm sure it was standard fit for the t spirit without the sat nav.

For very good free SatNav on your mobile take a look at "Waze" - real time traffic.  I have found it very good at offering alternative routes and the estimated arrival time is remarkably accurate. Now how to fit an iPad instead of the usual Toyota SatNav (which I ignore)....