Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal rattling noise on the passenger side of my Toyota Auris?

caruser

Hi all,

I have started hearing a metal rattling noise on the passenger side of my Toyota Auris in the last day or so. Never had this type of sound previously, any idea what it could be?

It's not a cat or a golf ball I can tell you :biggrin:

Hi I found the thing causing the sound, it's the shiny metal bit underneath the car in this photo.

Any idea if this is serious? What should I do?

20161128_194334.jpg

Heat shield for the exhaust, shouldn't be a too serious fix.

9 minutes ago, caruser said:

How much roughly?

Unfortunately I've no idea, but it might be worthwhile comparing the likes of Kwik Fit, 😱 and independents as Toyota will probably be quite dear unless they are in a festive mood.

1 minute ago, cmclean said:

Unfortunately I've no idea, but it might be worthwhile comparing the likes of Kwik Fit, 😱 and independents as Toyota will probably be quite dear unless they are in a festive mood.

Thanks Colin

I am away and need to ride 200 miles back home (4hr drive), can it survive that? I will be very gentle.

As soon as I am home I will take it to the garage but do you (or anyone knowledgeable about this) think it's possible?

Should be O.K. To drive for a while until it's repaired, all it does is shield the bottom of the car from the exhaust heat. 

3 minutes ago, cmclean said:

Should be O.K. To drive for a while until it's repaired, all it does is shield the bottom of the car from the exhaust heat. 

Thanks Colin, I hope you have a great Christmas :)

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. I think this is the same issue that I’m having. I put the car in neutral and had a look under and the shield was shaking about. Is this a common issue with Auris’ or toyotas? Just making sure it’s not anything major that I’ve done to my car.

It's a common issue in general with cars. Problem is the aluminium gets tired and worn out around screws/pins and basically gets sheared off, while the pins/screws stay in place.

Luckily in Auris it's just screws, so you can unscrew them, put a bigger piece of metal or something like that underneath, screw back, solved.

• Like 1

It happened to mine a couple of years ago. I cut the bottom out of a Coke can to make a large round washer to go behind the screw and it's been fine since 😄

• Like 1

Don't spend too much time worrying about this, but the shield is also there to stop the heat from the cat from setting fire to long grass in the laybys. I have a distant memory that some Jaguars used to be prone to that problem. :laugh:

Either way, the shield isn't a critically complicated piece of technology. I've had to bend the shield on a Volkswagen into shape when it rattled. If it needed more, I reckon my local indie garage would put my car up on the ramps and wire it up for a couple of beer tokens. Don't use plastic coated wire…...

Hi, I have read this problem so many times, some people take the bolts/screws out if they can, put repair washers, the extra wide ones in diameter, behind the fixings and refit it, would possibly cost just a few pence. Mike.

• 7 months later...
On 11/28/2016 at 6:43 PM, caruser said:

Hi all,

I have started hearing a metal rattling noise on the passenger side of my Toyota Auris in the last day or so. Never had this type of sound previously, any idea what it could be?

It's not a cat or a golf ball I can tell you :biggrin:

I am having a rattling sound at idle and gets louder at 2100 RPM from under the car on the front passenger side. Was yours the same??? I think it could be the heat shield or maybe a seal that's gone. 

Very likely it’s the same , just bend under and have a look. If it’s completely loose better don’t drive like that, fix it first or completely remove it from the car. When you have time put it back on and fit it with larger washers, cola cans anything bigger then the original washer will hold it in place. 
if you drive with loose shield in higher speeds may fly off the car and endanger the cars behind, did happen once to me thanks non one was behind. 

It was the middle section of the heat shield that had become loose, but something also sheared off when I put the car on the ramp, pic is below. Does anyone know what it is and how important it is to the functioning of the car?

IMG_20200219_152127.jpg

IMG_20200219_152141.jpg

IMG_20200219_152150.jpg

That is an exhaust hanger, so it should be attached to a rubber doughnut like this:-

P1130001.thumb.JPG.5849ab6045816898ef8bc98fef547dc4.JPG

If one has broken then it might be worth checking the condition of the others.

Depending on which one it is, if the exhaust is still secure, then this shouldn't be an MoT problem.  But the other exhaust mounts are now doing more work.