Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris bi-led headlamps point too low

Kitko

Hi there,

I have an Auris Hybrid Sports Tourer with the bi-led headlamps - they're self-levelling as mandated by legislation.

The problem is they point way too low and I was wondering if the 'zero' position around which they level themselves can be adjusted. The problem is that when I compare them side by side to the properly adjusted beams of my Mazda 3, the beam is much shorter (actually, both the low and hi beams).

Anyone here facing same problem?

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem with the beams in the dipped mode. No problems on full beam, but when dipped the headlamps are not illuminating far enough ahead. I am going to talk to my dealer and see if any adjustment is possible.

I haven't got time to talk to my dealer yet but I'd like to hear what yours says.

Car going in for a light meter check tomorrow afternoon. I will let you now what they conclude.

My headlights were aimed same as yours; using a screwdriver I raised them a little bit. I posted a small tutorial somewhere here in this forum.

So glad someone else is having this issue aswell! Hopefully Toyota will release a service bulletin about it if enough people contact them. Thought it was just me being picky, but yeah they seem way too low but fine on main beam. They might be fine when the car is flat and stationary, but I've noticed they do move up and down when you drive, so maybe it's that adjustment that is a little low.

3 hours ago, tavy said:

My headlights were aimed same as yours; using a screwdriver I raised them a little bit. I posted a small tutorial somewhere here in this forum.

http://toyota-corolla.ru/rm04f1ru/repair2/html/frame_rm0000011mi01ax.html

this might be the link... 

Car was checked today using the light meter (as used in MOT tests). Meter showed the beams were angled slightly lower than the maximum level permitted, and were then adjusted up to higher level. I will see how this improves matters but I suspect that as the adjustment was marginal it may not make a big enough difference.

I am going to look into the option of replacing the standard bulbs with HID bulbs as this would produce a much higher light output. It is unlikely that a Toyota dealership would fit HID bulbs for me, and I will need to check whether fitting them would invalidate my Toyota warranty. If it would just invalidate the warranty with regard to the lights then it would be worth it, but not if it invalidates the entire warranty!

I should point out that my headlight bulbs are not LEDs (only the daylight running lights).

9 minutes ago, PetrolSipper said:

Car was checked today using the light meter (as used in MOT tests). Meter showed the beams were angled slightly lower than the maximum level permitted, and were then adjusted up to higher level. I will see how this improves matters but I suspect that as the adjustment was marginal it may not make a big enough difference.

I am going to look into the option of replacing the standard bulbs with HID bulbs as this would produce a much higher light output. It is unlikely that a Toyota dealership would fit HID bulbs for me, and I will need to check whether fitting them would invalidate my Toyota warranty. If it would just invalidate the warranty with regard to the lights then it would be worth it, but not if it invalidates the entire warranty!

I should point out that my headlight bulbs are not LEDs (only the daylight running lights).

Oh, I thought you had full LED lamps... In that case you may just raise the beam one step using the manual adjustment wheel.

Still, I'll take the car to the dealer when the weather returns to normal (snow, ice here in Prague). LEDs are self-levelling but the issue occurs no matter how the car is loaded and the lamps beam much lower than any car I've owned so far.

One thing about fitting HIDs... UK legislation may be different but the I'm 100% sure that anywhere else on the other side of the Channel HID lamps must be self-levelling, which makes retrofitting, technically illegal - although it's a common practice.

1 hour ago, Kitko said:

One thing about fitting HIDs... UK legislation may be different but the I'm 100% sure that anywhere else on the other side of the Channel HID lamps must be self-levelling, which makes retrofitting, technically illegal - although it's a common practice.

Indeed & they  also require washers to comply with regulation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links