Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 Gen 4 ordered

barrycoll

Thanks again Pete looks like I will have to read up a bit. The Excel had Auto everything but never gave any problems with lights as it was switched off. A bit of tape over the sensor should defeat it if it causes a problem, there must be an off / on. The only auto I did not like was the rain sensor for the wipers, but mine will not have them. Living near the coast we have a lot of sea gulls and the sensors cannot differentiate between rain a poo. Also on frosty mornings they can ruin the blades.

The heating and air con should work different between driving modes. RHD drive Aurisis do not have heating ducts to the rear seats and a couple of Christmas, s ago I had two frozen passengers. My dealer blamed eco. driving mode limiting the heating and oddly I always had a cold left leg, no matter how the heating was set. Hot seats were good though.

I would have liked the warm headlight and windscreen washers off my old Lexus IS but apparently it does not get that cold in uk.

I will have a look at Carista options when I get it and let you know what functions I can control. On the Auris I could turn off all the sensors for seats, handy if you put a brief case on the passengers seat, as the sensors thought it was a person. I also stopped me going back to the dealer to change the reversing beep. It just plugs into the ODB port and is controlled by an app.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:18 PM, kithmo said:

I too, like Chris, will have to bookmark all your good advice dear PeteB, as I don't think I will remember everything until

March 2017

Chris, you could/should try   http://www.reliancevm.co.uk/

if you are looking to try and save on a new purchase. With tow bar and the 2 Packs, I am saving about £3k on new showroom Excel price, and he did similar for me with my 2013 Gen 3.

I plan to go for a private sale for my Gen 3, as it has 15 months Toy warranty left, and only 17k miles.

What might our illustrious membership consider a reasonable sale price for a mint Gen 3 WITH SUNROOF!! ?????

sorry for Kithmo's box, as I don't seem to be able to delete it

Our Gen 3 T Spirit has Auto headlights but you can turn them on and off as you wish. Does not make sense not to have this facility on the Gen 4. I can see how dangerous this could be on the Gen 4.

Barry, I would prefer to stick with my dealer to buy a new car. They have given me excellent service over the years. They usually give a me fair deal but I do have do a bit of negotiation. Like you; our gen 3 is immaculate and has only done 8.000 miles at the present time. It will be a few months yet before I make any P/X..

It  must be nice to have a relationship with a dealership, as PeteB and Chris describes, but as my start in the Mr T, was with a wonderful, (first named terms) fully authorised T repair workshop (no sales) only, that turned out to be more profitable as a new block of appartments than a garage.

I have no great feel for Jemca, or at least any more than I did for Alan Day  and my sequence of new Golfs.

So Steve, of Reliance now looks after me, e-plodding around the country looking for the best deal....as for P/X, well it would choke me to be given £11k, and then see it on the forecourt for £15k, as that is a big price for convenience.

Would people consider that this valuation is a reasonable ...or optomistic

https://carvaluation.confused.com/valuation/9dd1e850-fac8-4efa-b149-149468e7a453

Edited by barrycoll
addition

On 17/12/2016 at 11:25 AM, PeteB said:

No, the auto headlights can't be turned off!  I've asked my Service Manager to find out if he can get the 'Type A ' (manual p276) stalk for the indicators/lights - this has OFF-Auto-side-head, whereas the Type B fitted to mine doesn't have OFF!  I think they're downright dangerous .

I agree that the auto lights

I'm confused by the light stalk, the o  (4) symbol for the daytime running lights turns them on but you cannot turn them off independantly can you ?  I don't like anything Auto when it comes lights & windscreen wipers, i want control myself

On 17/12/2016 at 0:39 PM, cviclark said:

... A bit of tape over the sensor should defeat it if it causes a problem, there must be an off / on. The only auto I did not like was the rain sensor for the wipers, ...

The trouble with that on the Prius Excel is that the on-screen camera and sensor do a lot of things including the AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking), Road Sign Assist, Lane Keep Assist to mention a few.  It's criminal not having an off switch in my view.  I wouldn't mind then, or if it just flashed up a "do you need lights?" message on the display.

At least on the Gen 4 Excel there is an option (via OBD) to turn the Auto wipers back into variable intermittent - although why the user can't select it via the menus is beyond me.

I must say I've never come across auto wipers I can live with before, but these are borderline - I still haven't decided whether to get them disabled at the first service next month.  I have to flick between the four sensitivity settings quite a lot.

3 hours ago, birdseye said:

I'm confused by the light stalk, the o  (4) symbol for the daytime running lights turns them on but you cannot turn them off independantly can you ?  I don't like anything Auto when it comes lights & windscreen wipers, i want control myself

Are you saying your Business Plus has the switch with a fully off position?  My Excel only has Auto, side and head.

The DRLs come on the first time the Parking brake pedal is released and stay on all the time except when side or headlights are switched on (whether manually or automatically) until you power the car off.  It would be nice to have a way of turning them off again once the parking brake is applied, but as it is if you want to park and stay in READY mode without the DRLs on you have to switch the car off and on again.  

However, on cars with Auto headlights there is no way of being parked in READY mode with no lights at all if it's dark enough that the car wants the lights on.

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

Are you saying your Business Plus has the switch with a fully off position?  My Excel only has Auto, side and head.

, on cars with Auto headlights there is no way of being parked in READY mode with no lights at all if it's dark enough that the car wants the lights on.

There are 4 options to select but no actual off option, I have type A it seems

Picked up the car on Monday and first impressions driving home from the dealer are WOW!  to drive it's fabulous. I love the view from the drivers seat.

There is a lot to learn and the weather is to cold and wet to be outside playing around. The lights have me confused at present, everytime I open the door there is a very loud bonging noise that could be very annoying to neighbours in the we small hours. I will have a play with Carista after Xmas. The main beam appears to be very high and I have not found the wheel  or menue to lower it.  But there are a lot function to learn and I am still working my way through.

Not sure about the colour Hypersonic Red, it's nice in the sunlight but dull in the dark Welsh days of winter. It is very Christmas all I need is some Raindeer and it could be Santas sleigh. 

Of course the promised black/not white inside never materialised. The latest excuse is that it's only available  for models without the charger. Toyota UK really should try and understand the meaning of customer service and give customers what they want, not what Toyota wants. The applique  moldings should be the same Worldwide  with push outs for RHD or LHD. How hard can it be?  A black console and white sterring wheel and gear shift is not solving the problem. If they can get it right in the US why not UK? The protection pack is a rip off only two scuff plates none for the back, the after market third party bits on eBay  look much better but many are not all they seem. I feel for the dealer sales teams, more stuffand information is available on line from here or PriusChat than they have access to. They end up promising thing that are either a rip off or not available. 

So does your profile need changing from the Auris?

3 hours ago, cviclark said:

... everytime I open the door there is a very loud bonging noise t...

..The main beam appears to be very high and I have not found the wheel  or menue to lower it...

The noise suggests the car isn't fully off, or a key is inside when you try to lock it a door not closed, lights on maybe.  I've never heard that on mine except when I get out with the ignition still on.

The headlights are self levelling, these is no manual adjustment.  Again mine seem fine.  I believe this is a legal requirement for cars with LED or HID headlights, and one reason it's illegal to retrofit such lights to cars not designed for them.

Your experiences dont sound very promising for my own purchase Ian.....As I ticked the black console option, I will assume that WILL happen, and at the back of my mind, the thought that March 2017 is a few months away, so that maybe Mr Toy might see sense twixt now and then and get rid of the white splodges on the wheel and gearshift

............and restore a bigger glove box, underfloor storage in the boot, bigger door pockets....but my car will probably be delivered on April 1st for the last larf to Mr T

Doubtless most irritants will be upgraded with the next iteration of Gen 4

8 hours ago, cviclark said:

Not sure about the colour Hypersonic Red, it's nice in the sunlight but dull in the dark Welsh days of winter.

Sounds similar to Tuscan Red in Scotland :wink:

I have just updated my profile as requested.

The Auto Lights Threshold can be adjusted via Carista.( or any other ODB programmer or the dealer).   There are 5 settings: Normal Is the default and Darker, Darkest or Lighter Lightest.

This morning I came out of my garage, the lights were on, good daylight but low winter sun, They stayed on for about a mile then when I turned into the sun they went off.

I have now set the threshold to darker and will see if it is any better tomorrow.  I have also changed the audible warning beeps for the passenger seats to off. I have a passenger who takes her seat belt off when I am trying to park and find the noise a distraction when the sensors are giving distance. I also find a bag on a seat can cause problems. The good thing with Carista is you can change the set-up via an app on the phone until you find a setting that suites.

I am not sure if the Lights issue is in a separate thread?  

The loud bong is when the door is opened with lights and ignition on, letting a passenger out at night may be noisy.  No control for light height with very good lights may annoy oncoming.  I also increased the volume of the turn indicators as I like to hear them. The default settings are ok  Single reversing beep must be the default with sensors,

On 19/12/2016 at 10:06 PM, birdseye said:

There are 4 options to select but no actual off option, I have type A it seems

That's interesting - your 4th position "0" at least means the DRLs will stay on (no bad thing in my opinion *) and the headlights will not switch on and off at will, unlike mine which has no "0" position (Type B).

Strange that your Business Plus still has auto headlights (I'm assuming!) but has the different switch - I'll let my dealer know, I hope he can fit the Type A to mine next month, and that the wiring loom connector is compatible.

* - DRLs are now a legal requirement in Europe for cars registered since about 2012, but were a legal requirement in safety conscious countries over 40 years ago!

Copy of PRIUS_OM_Europe_OM47A31E Page 276 Headlight Switch TYPE A.jpg

1 hour ago, cviclark said:

... Auto Lights Threshold can be adjusted via Carista.( or any other ODB programmer or the dealer).   There are 5 settings: Normal Is the default and Darker, Darkest or Lighter Lightest...

They can also be adjusted by the driver using the right hand steering buttons and the MFD next to the speedo.  I'd already set mine to lowest sensitivity, and when I had my winter tyres put on the dealer checked with the diagnostic terminal, and confirmed I'd selected the lowest sensitivity possible.

1 hour ago, cviclark said:

...I am not sure if the Lights issue is in a separate thread?  

The loud bong is when the door is opened with lights and ignition on, letting a passenger out at night may be noisy.  No control for light height with very good lights may annoy oncoming.  I also increased the volume of the turn indicators as I like to hear them. The default settings are ok  Single reversing beep must be the default with sensors,

The lights have been discussed on this and other threads.

Still confused by your 'bongs' - mine only does that when the driver's door is opened with lights and/or ignition on (or are you old fashioned and get out to open the door for your passengers? :rolleyes: ).

I've found the dipped lights have excellent cut off while giving very good illumination of the bits of road I need to see, and certainly no one has flashed me yet in over 9,000 miles.  I'd say they're the best I've had yet.  The main beams seem fine too, although someone has said they seem less bright than a Gen 3 with HIDs (my T3 Gen 3 had ordinary Halogens - the Excel lights are certainly better than that was).

On 21/12/2016 at 11:26 AM, cviclark said:

Picked up the car on Monday and first impressions driving home from the dealer are WOW!  to drive it's fabulous...

...Of course the promised black/not white inside never materialised. The latest excuse is that it's only available  for models without the charger...

Fully agree with first statement.  Like any car, there are a few niggles, but I think this is the best car I've ever had.

Out of interest, did you have black or grey interior?

Someone on another group has been told you get white centre console with the grey interior, black with black (but we all know how reliable info on this can be!).

Picked up the car on Monday and first impressions driving home from the dealer are WOW!  to drive it's fabulous. I love the view from the drivers seat.

There is a lot to learn and the weather is to cold and wet to be outside playing around. The lights have me confused at present, everytime I open the door there is a very loud bonging noise that could be very annoying to neighbours in the we small hours. I will have a play with Carista after Xmas. The main beam appears to be very high and I have not found the wheel  or menue to lower it.  But there are a lot function to learn and I am still working my way through.

Not sure about the colour Hypersonic Red, it's nice in the sunlight but dull in the dark Welsh days of winter. It is very Christmas all I need is some Raindeer and it could be Santas sleigh. 

Of course the promised black/not white inside never materialised. The latest excuse is that it's only available  for models without the charger. Toyota UK really should try and understand the meaning of customer service and give customers what they want, not what Toyota wants. The applique  moldings should be the same Worldwide  with push outs for RHD or LHD. How hard can it be?  A black console and white sterring wheel and gear shift is not solving the problem. If they can get it right in the US why not UK? The protection pack is a rip off only two scuff plates none for the back, the after market third party bits on eBay  look much better but many are not all they seem. I feel for the dealer sales teams, more stuffand information is available on line from here or PriusChat than they have access to. They end up promising thing that are either a rip off or not available. 

I ordered black and was told the problem of the porcelain fittings had been solved, no such luck. They now say the white shift surround and steering wheel will stay for the uk the applique is only available for those without the charger. I will go and visit a vinyl man in the new year.  I may get used to it but I doubt I will ever like it.

I have also found the sat nav maps are out of date and updates are expensive. I Ave not been able to download updates or apps to my  Samsung tab or phone so will have to breathe some life into my Windows PC and try that. I do not understand  how we get a five year warranty on hardware but none on software. Updates are bug fixes for companies that use customers for Beta testing.

Mine randomly gives me the, door open long beep, when I'm getting in and sometimes, but less often, when I get out after I've switched off.

It also did a random switch to km/h on the Nav speed indication today, returning to mph after switching off and restarting.

2 hours ago, kithmo said:

Mine randomly gives me the, door open long beep, when I'm getting in and sometimes, but less often, when I get out after I've switched off...

I've occasionally got the long beep, but I think it's because I've bumped the lock button on the key in my pocket against the steering wheel or something as I get in/out - could that be the reason?

Mine seems to do it if I land heavy in the seat when getting in and the key is in my trouser pocket, so it could be.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links