Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Gen 4 ordered

barrycoll

On 22/12/2016 at 2:48 PM, PeteB said:

They can also be adjusted by the driver using the right hand steering buttons and the MFD next to the speedo.  I'd already set mine to lowest sensitivity, and when I had my winter tyres put on the dealer checked with the diagnostic terminal, and confirmed I'd selected the lowest sensitivity possible.

I've tried in vain to find that setting, can you give more info on how to find it?

23 minutes ago, birdseye said:

I've tried in vain to find that setting, can you give more info on how to find it?

Sorry, pointed to the wrong screen!

It's the central Multimedia MFD:

1. Setup
  2. Page 2
  3. Vehicle
  4. Vehicle Customisation
  5. Light settings
  6. Light sensor sensitivity

On 12/23/2016 at 6:52 PM, kithmo said:

Mine seems to do it if I land heavy in the seat when getting in and the key is in my trouser pocket, so it could be.

Confirmed, it is the accidental button press in my pocket that does it, I moved the key to my coat pocket yesterday and today and no beeps, Cheers Pete :thumbsup: 

On 11/30/2016 at 9:18 PM, kithmo said:

Here's a few piccies Barry, taken from this thread: Undeleting the spare (on Priuschat).

Part numbers and descriptions.png

3 in place.jpg

wheel in.jpg

2 in place.jpg

3 foam pieces.jpg

An idle moment allowed me to review the Priuschat argument around the 17" spare problem, dear Keith, and it occurs to me, that leaving the spare wheel exposed, does give more storage space, and I can now see how cutting a spare wheel shape into the Gen 4 polystyrene will do just that. Is the non-spare Gen 4 foam, jjust one piece of material filling the spare wheel hole??

So additional questions would be......is the floor covering strong enough to bridge the gap from one side to the other in the new car....or would one need a piece of ex skip ply  cut to bridge the gap and support the floor covering

What might folks consider the best way to cut that thickness of foam for a tidy finish....too thick for a Stanley knife, and maybe too thick for a Jigsaw blade too

On 24/12/2016 at 11:57 AM, PeteB said:

Sorry, pointed to the wrong screen!

It's the central Multimedia MFD:

1. Setup
  2. Page 2
  3. Vehicle
  4. Vehicle Customisation
  5. Light settings
  6. Light sensor sensitivity

Thank you, I found the setting and altered it today so should stop me getting flashed at in broad daylight!

3 hours ago, barrycoll said:

An idle moment allowed me to review the Priuschat argument around the 17" spare problem, dear Keith, and it occurs to me, that leaving the spare wheel exposed, does give more storage space, and I can now see how cutting a spare wheel shape into the Gen 4 polystyrene will do just that. Is the non-spare Gen 4 foam, jjust one piece of material filling the spare wheel hole??

So additional questions would be......is the floor covering strong enough to bridge the gap from one side to the other in the new car....or would one need a piece of ex skip ply  cut to bridge the gap and support the floor covering

What might folks consider the best way to cut that thickness of foam for a tidy finish....too thick for a Stanley knife, and maybe too thick for a Jigsaw blade too

The non-spare foam is just two halves, split down the middle. As you can see in the photos, the wheel well is very shallow.

The most difficult bit I would say about cutting the hole in the two halves is getting the hole central to the spare wheel well. The foam is polystyrene so a hot wire and a steady hand would be ideal to cut it. Maybe make a wooden template of the wheel so you can centre it.

Although I haven't tried it myself, I hear an electric kitchen knife will cut polystyrene foam. Remember it doesn't have to be perfect as it's covered up by the boot floor covering. Remember too, there's a hole in the back of the spare wheel so either fill it, make a cover for it (wood ?) or don't put anything too heavy in the middle of the boot.

Thanks Keith, for that input.....

Just thinking aloud here though, why not just prop up (wooden blocks??) the non- spare two piece foam on both sides, to just clear the spare, and maybe using the tire itself for central support. ........but more thinking (groan), suggests that central section of the foam is contoured down into the base of the wheel cut-out!!

I should have had a closer look in the 17" G4 boot in the showroom, except that the Battery was disconnected, and there was no access for 'browsing'

I'm not sure, but from what I gather on PriusChat, it appears that the temporary spare wheel doesn't protrude above the non-spare foam anyway, just one guy said it did slightly due to him putting extra sound deadening in the well.

Also be aware that the jack and wheel brace have cutouts in the non-spare foam that overlap the area you're going to cut out, so they would have to go inside the back of the wheel unless you do some more cut outs for them in another position.

The only problem with wooden blocks under the foam is that you would have to remove all 4 clips that hold the foam down, not that it's going anywhere but it will be a bit loose when raised due to the slight slope away of the boot sides. If the wheel is raised slightly then you'd be better putting a lightweight (foam ?) board in over the foam with a hole for the spare (more cutting ! :blink:) or glue it to the back of the existing floor board.

I have printed your suggestions, dear Keith, to be  re-visited in March 2017...unless there is some delay in delivery. (And if there is a delay into April, then I will lose the £0 road fund)

I wont remember any of this by then! The jack and the wheel brace can be wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in the up-turned wheel, or donut as Priuschat would write

But it does leave the question as to why the boot space has been so re-designed, and then losing the underfloor storage, and the depth of the wheel well. Maybe something to do with the new rear suspension?

Although the Battery now lives in the engine bay, doesn't it, making life a little less mystical in that dept.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrycoll said:

Although the battery now lives in the engine bay, doesn't it, making life a little less mystical in that dept.

You mean the 12 volt Battery?,  The previous generations had the 12v Battery of the smaller type similar to that used on motorbikes and it was under the boot decking, presumably now that the 2016 has a normal sized 12v it had to be relocated to the engine bay. There must be a reason why they opted for the larger one as it must add more weight.

When I had my Gen 2 I had a new one fitted and it cost considerably more than a standard good quality 12v, quite a few minor problems on those earlier models were due to the 12v failing and causing the computers to malfunction on startup

Interestingly, this chap from Priuschat, has done exactly as I was musing.....but has not used any supports for the boot floor

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/52923/#post-415107

Quick update after first long trip South for Christmas. I have done this trip many times in Gen2, 3 and Auris Ts so it's good to compare. My route from N. Wales to Ely is 220 miles mainly fast dual carriageway with cross country from Chester to Stoke A55 A50 M1 A14. Fuel Consumption  was 57mpg both there and back.  25 miles running around while there 63mpg. This is about 10 mpg up on the Auris and 5mpg up on the Gen 3. It was very cold but at least this time no complaints from the back like the Auris two years ago.

To drive it's Magic. Vision is great and the cruise and lane assist in a fast stream is brilliant. Best set a bit above the car in front it keeps a good distance and just slows if someone moves into the  gap.

Interesting I still have not seen another. Still have not used parallel park but reverse in (which the salesman did not mention) is great in Tesco,s car park.

Mine is on 15" with a space saver spare. The boot liner did not fit as it's a high level boot. The packing around the spare fits snug but could do with more cut outs. I carry a first aid box and folding wheel  chock (ex Lexus). Warning triangle and high viz, Snow tracks in winter and a long wheel brace.  None of these hide away like in the Auris.  The area in the spare is wasted as the polls is molded to fit inside. I expect I will modify it over time.

Ŕoad noise is very surface dependant. I noticed on the test drives ( all 17" LP ) that one was very quiet two were not. It would appear they are tyre and surface sensitive and that may have something to do with the door space liner.

It will take a bit more time to get used to but it has brought back the pleasure in long routine drives. 

On 28/12/2016 at 1:28 PM, barrycoll said:

Thanks Keith, for that input.....

Just thinking aloud here though, why not just prop up (wooden blocks??) the non- spare two piece foam on both sides, to just clear the spare, and maybe using the tire itself for central support. ........but more thinking (groan), suggests that central section of the foam is contoured down into the base of the wheel cut-out!!

I should have had a closer look in the 17" G4 boot in the showroom, except that the battery was disconnected, and there was no access for 'browsing'

It makes no difference if it on 15 or 17 the space savers the same. I  have an old ex Volvo fuel can that fits inside the spare, that's how to make best use of space. No I do not carry it now days but I did carry jump leads inside the spare and a mini compressor in the Auris.

The spare from the Auris goes on eBay next month. Toyota are so reliable even I question the need for all the just in case bits those of us who have been stuck remember.   

Not sure that Toyota's legendary reliability has much to do with being unlucky enough to suffer a puncture. Reading Priuschat website stories of folks suffering punctures in pretty in-hospitable locations, reminds one of the good sense in doing just that.

As folks have said....better to carry a spare, and never have a puncture, than to never carry one, and ....etc, ect

Looks like a challenge ahead to store a similar amount of stuff to you Ian, but your driving experience sounds wonderful....

I am wondering now, if any owners have any feedack on the low-ish, non adjustable height of the passenger seat????  Mean buggers not having a seat height adjustment for short passengers

On 01/01/2017 at 4:32 PM, barrycoll said:

Not sure that Toyota's legendary reliability has much to do with being unlucky enough to suffer a puncture. Reading Priuschat website stories of folks suffering punctures in pretty in-hospitable locations, reminds one of the good sense in doing just that.

As folks have said....better to carry a spare, and never have a puncture, than to never carry one, and ....etc, ect

Looks like a challenge ahead to store a similar amount of stuff to you Ian, but your driving experience sounds wonderful....

I am wondering now, if any owners have any feedack on the low-ish, non adjustable height of the passenger seat????  Mean buggers not having a seat height adjustment for short passengers

Being vertically challenged it's been a problem on most of my older cars, even oddly in my motor home. I have a selection on thick penny washers and normally unscrew the seat runners and put them under the runners, more often than not its just at the front that's needed. I have found the seats comfortable and have not felt as if I am tipping forward.  The steering wheel is almost infinitely adjustable. Of course if you can find a LHD drivers seat mechanism from a euro scrap yard, off eBay, you could DIY it.

On 12/17/2016 at 11:34 AM, PeteB said:

A couple of other things have come back to my ageing brain!:

• set the Climate Control to ECO (each press of the Auto button cycles through normal/ECO/Fast)
  • selected the option to only ventilate occupied parts of the car
  • set drive mode to ECO (where it's stayed 99% of the time since)

Unlike previous versions, the drive mode influences the rate at which the cruise control accelerates when using Resume or after someone has got out of the way and it want's to speed back up to the set speed.  Hitting resume at 30 when it's set to 70 and changing from ECO to Normal to PWR during the acceleration demonstrates this quite effectively!  It will, however, accelerate a bit more aggressively if going up an incline, even a gentle one.

Check the Sat Nav has been updated on the PDI Toyota want to charge £109 to down load the update off My Toyota to a new car.  There are no free updates. Also the side skirts add width and are vulnerable to feet kicking. so side chrome may be desirable for protection. 

I bought a new Prius in May and have aready downloaded a free map update on MyToyota

On 'My Toyota' I see three years of free updates but looks like it's for Excel only ?

Newly sold Toyota Touch 2 with Go Plus devices benefit from Toyota Map Care and can download updates for free during a period of three years from vehicle purchase. This update is applicable to Toyota Touch 2 with Go Plus with software version 4.2.1H and 4.2.2H. You can confirm your software version in the 'System information' screen under the General settings screen (please refer to owner's manual for more info).

1 hour ago, cviclark said:

Check the Sat Nav has been updated on the PDI Toyota want to charge £109 to down load the update off My Toyota to a new car.  There are no free updates. Also the side skirts add width and are vulnerable to feet kicking. so side chrome may be desirable for protection. 

even with free updates it says £109 until you click on it, then if you do get free updates the price changes to £0 or free.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:46 PM, kithmo said:

even with free updates it says £109 until you click on it, then if you do get free updates the price changes to £0 or free.

I tried that in My Toyota and it just asked for a credit card. However I have now updated from a USB stick sent by the dealer here is how.

The stick sent requires an activation code. To get this you have to register and  log on to Toyota-tech.eu  (not my Toyota). You then need to identify the device (in my case Low I guess the High is the Excel). This gets you 6.8.1L Business plus  
If you have the Stick you can the skip to the bit that asks for the activation code. Then enter the Device ID and Request code. These are six blocks each of case dependant, alphanumeric code, off the setup menu of the Nav screen. It ain,t easy. Then copy the activation code from the web page into the car. The download from stick to car takes about 30 mins. 
Now interestingly on the Toyota-Tech.eu website for free you can download the zip file that is on the stick.  It takes about 45 min as it is large to download, unzip and copy to an 8Gb usb stick.  You can not do this with an Apple or Android Tab/phone or via bluetooth you need a Windows PC and Fat32 USB drive.
If Toyota Customer Services had told me this instead of just passing the buck, or My Toyota had let me down load the same .zip file for free it would have saved a lot of time and agro.  Of course it is possible the free Euopean map off My Toyota has the same revision as the download asks East or West Europe but again nobody seems to know.

As an aside anyone know why the GPS on the sat nave does not show real speed?  anyone know where I can download the function of the fuses?

51 minutes ago, cviclark said:

anyone know where I can download the function of the fuses?

The full, downloadable owner's manual usually has this information.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The full, downloadable owner's manual usually has this information.

Fuse functions aren't in the manual, but IIRC they are on the underside of the fuse box lid I think.

20 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Yes this is still current and the same as on the website, but if you do not have directions as to where to find it it is not the most intuitive procedure  If Toyota customer services had pointed me there life would have been easy. 

Car refused to lock with a loud warning tone after we got home today, all doors were closed, the lights were off etc. Turned out to be my wifes phone that she had dropped on the floor of the passenger side! the car new there was a phone on board and refused to let me leave it! good or what

• Like 1