Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn / radio combo

Keato

Okay, this is a 2 part or maybe more question. I'll try ask it as easily as I can.

Car Details:
2011 Auris 1.6

**Part 1**
(Problem)
Horn only sometimes works

(Story)
When I press the horn it most of the time doesn't sound. The whole front of the steering wheel can be used as the horn. It'll push in but all you hear is a plastic clicking noise. Only When the centre is pushed hard the horn will sound as normal and then the rest of the wheel can be pressed in as normal to sound it. Sounds like something is blocking it from working.

(Question)
Has anyone else had this problem & how do I fix it?

**Part 2**
(potential problem)
Disconnecting the Battery & losing use of the radio.

(Story)
I've seen tutorials on how to remove the front face of the steering wheel though in a few of them it recommends disconnecting the Battery terminal under the hood to prevent the airbag from deploying in my face when I'm trying to fix the horn. I feel that maybe some debris has gotten under the steering wheel, preventing me from sounding the horn unless pushed directly in the centre as mentioned above.

(Question)
Does removing the Battery render the radio useless without a security code to get it working again and if yes does anyone know where I can get this code from?
I've searched the user manual that came with the car. No mention of a code. So maybe there isn't one

Looking forward to thoughts on this matter :)

Ooooo also. Does anyone have any recommendations to horn replacements. Whenever it sounds its quite a high noise. No low tones. As far as I can tell its just a regular disc horn visible behind the grill at the front.

No security code for the stereo

Ah thanks Frosty!

I was worried there'd be a security code to prevent theft of the stereo.

:)

I knew there was another horn question I had

Are the full beams & horn wired on the same section or something?

Idiot driver did something stupid & nearly caused a crash recently. I blasted the horn & flashed the lights at the same time. The horns sound dipped when the lights were flashed as if they were both using the same wire or something.

Flash lights (or high beam) and hooter have different relays (there is one for each other); for instance if hooter is not working, flash lights are OK and vice versa... 

This fault has all the hallmarks of a bad earth.  Your car is a bit new for an earth fault, but I think it'll be a rusted body electrical connection, somewhere near the horn or headlight.

Some other forum members have had horn failure on MK1 Auris, perhaps they'll be along soon...

I`ve had a horn fault too.......It`s pain to get to, as it`s in front of the radiator, but you can un-clip the top of the bumper and get in with a spanner....undo the bolt, clean with a little piece of sand paper and bolt it back together....should be ok after that. if all is well after a test, give it a spray with some grease to stop any corrosion