Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost key - suggestion

kad0421

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help.

I'm posting regarding my step-daughter's Aygo.

Long story short. Her dad bought her a Toyota Aygo Sport 1.0 last year. The car only had 1 key and they didn't get around to getting a spare 🤔.

Basically she has lost the one and only key. Her dad has made a few enquiries and has been told it will cost approx £400 to sort it out (don't know where or what would be needed).

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Think you're probably talking about new keys and locks, and possibly a new ECU. Unless used parts can be obtained, £400 may be conservative.

A good auto locksmith may be able to help.

Would probably be the same no matter what manufacturer or car model. 

Many thanks for the quick responses guys, much appreciated 👍

Unfortunately the AA/RAC won't be able to help as she doesn't have a key to cut from as the only key she had is lost. 

Think her dad is either going to have to fork out to get the lot replaced new or contact a breakers years / dismantler which in itself is going to be a fair bit of hassle (door locks, ignition barrel, ECU etc)

Anyway many thanks again 👍

don't suppose that she has the tag with the key no. or that written down anywhere? would probably still run into immobiliser issues though.

I've not tried them myself, but when looking for cars to purchase a lot came with just the one key so I did some googling for replacement key costs. This place says they can cut from VIN so others may also be able to and then programme the new key to ECU somehow.

http://www.car-keys-online.com/brand/30/toyota.html 

Jez

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jezclax said:

I've not tried them myself, but when looking for cars to purchase a lot came with just the one key so I did some googling for replacement key costs. This place says they can cut from VIN so others may also be able to and then programme the new key to ECU somehow.

http://www.car-keys-online.com/brand/30/toyota.html 

Jez

Yep thats what I thought AA/RAC did, cut from the VIN if you lost your keys?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petesellit said:

Yep thats what I thought AA/RAC did, cut from the VIN if you lost your keys?

Ah right, got you. I'll definitely look into that 😊👍

Funny that the Toyota keys are more expensive than the equivalent Citroen or Peugeot keys!!!

£85 for the Aygo two button remote key, £60 for the Citroen c1 or Peugeot 107.

Doesn't include the cost of cutting or coding... Otherwise I'd be very interested...

The dealer must be able to order the wright key at Toyota GB with the VIN of the car. i wouldn't say its cheep but it must be possible

Thanks for your message G6, and everyone else who has replied.

I have been doing a bit of ringing around speaking to loads of companies.

Basically the main Toyota deal is quoting around £400 (£30 for a standard key, £220 for new immobilisor & approx £150 labour), plus we would need to get the car to their garage.

I've also spoken to various "Auto Electrical / Locksmith" companies. They will go out to the car, and their prices range from £320-£400. For this they will get a new key code, cut a standard key and reprogram  the ECU / Immobiliser. If we want a remote locking key it's an additional £85. One company has said they will do all the above and supply 1 x standard key & 1 x remote key, for £425.

Thankfully, I'm just doing the research. The car belongs to my step-daughter, and her dad bought her the car and will be paying to get it sorting.

I don't know what options he's going to go for yet, but I will post on here how it was concluded. 

Many thanks all once again.

tell him to buy this item for her

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-SMART-TAG-BLUETOOTH-TRACKER-KIDS-PET-KEY-TRACER-FINDER-LOCATOR-REMOTE-BUTTON-/262195905206?hash=item3d0c1802b6:g:DfQAAOSwcLxYLXlV

a bluetooth tracker put it on her keyring if she looses her keys use her mobile to find them

On 12/10/2016 at 5:16 PM, eygo said:

tell him to buy this item for her

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-SMART-TAG-BLUETOOTH-TRACKER-KIDS-PET-KEY-TRACER-FINDER-LOCATOR-REMOTE-BUTTON-/262195905206?hash=item3d0c1802b6:g:DfQAAOSwcLxYLXlV

a bluetooth tracker put it on her keyring if she looses her keys use her mobile to find them

That was funny. :laugh: Problem is that it is bluetooth tracker so has a limited range of about 50 metres! 

When my brother bought a Micra with only one key, when the car had intermittent steering lock problem (the key was not turning in the barrel) - we went to the Nissan dealer to fix the problem. Whilst we were there, I made her get a second key. A few months later I was with my brother and he threw his coat into the boot (with key in pocket) and the car auto locked. None of the other doors had been opened yet! The car has keyless entry. So he had to call his wife with the spare, who came and rescued us.

Lessons learned - make sure the car has both keys, and make sure it is the master and key the key on yourself if keyless, as you never know if the system will lock itself. And most of all if you do get a second key, the missing key should be removed from the cars memory, as the Nissan dealer did. A few years back a friend had a van stolen, using the missing second key he never got when he bought it. The van was recovered after being involved in a robbery - from the area he originally bought the van from 15 miles away in Kent - with the second key, but missing items he had in it. I avoid buy a car with one key or knock off the cost of replacement, from the price. 

By the way, I have lost car keys in the past and have had them found. This was for my old Mk1 Avensis. 

Good luck in sorting the keys.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links