Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What price a 3 year service?

Really?

What price a 3 year service?

Letter received from local garage from which the car was bought 2 months ago offering a 3 year plan for £445.99.  Silver / Gold / Silver services.  The next service is due in February, and the car has only done 25,000 miles.
  It sounded expensive so I looked up the cost of services on the Toyota web site.  £100 / £180 /£100.  Therefore a PREMIUM for the three year deal.

On querying it, the dealer reprinted the letter with a £76 "dealer discount", to bring the cost to £10.01 under the current individual prices.  No reason, no explanation, no apology...

The Silver/Gold/Silver appears to match the service manual, and is specified on the Toyota web site as being appropriate for cars over 5 years old.  I see that the current servicing prices (Intermediate / Full / Full+) are significantly higher, and only cover a little more.    

The deal includes half price MOT (well, half official price, not the normal price you pay anywhere else) and 10% off any parts required.

What should I expect to pay for a three year service deal for a 2012 (2011 model year) 1.3 petrol Yaris? 

Are there hidden extras that I should be aware of?  The service book does not mention anything else that is required for years 5, 6 and 7, or for any likely mileage it will reach. 

Are you asking about the cost of the three year service or a three year service plan?

See my reply to your earlier post embedded below.

Presumably your Yaris will be five years old when it is due it's next service - as your dealer's quote is based on the Toyota Essential Care service regime which is for vehicles over five years old. The following provides an idea of additional costs that may apply under this service scheme - https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/Toyota Essential Care Service Content - V2.1 02.11xlsx_tcm-3060-675779.pdf

Thanks Frostyballs.  Three year Service PLAN.  Sorry, i put deal rather than plan. i.e. the upfront cost of future services.

Yes, I am sure it refers to the essential care service regime - it is a 2011 model year car.

The reason for my question is that the local Toyota garage seemed to make up a figure, then reduce it on query, but not be able to explain how they had come up with the first figure of £445.99 (3 services paid for as and when they arise being £380 - at today's prices) nor why they picked £76 as a "dealer discount" to apply to it.

It all makes me feel that it is based on what the dealer thinks they can get away with.  That does not engender loyalty or trust.

The fact that it may be a 2011 model is irrelevant, it is the date of first registration that the new car warranty and service regime runs from - which you say was 2012.

As regards service costs, whether it is the standard servicing or Essential Care, dealers are free to either adhere to the publicised costs or charge less. 

Presumably the first quote included whatever they charge for half price MOT's. £76 is around a 17% discount - whether or not they applied a percentage discount or applied some other method of reducing the price is down to them.

Who knows what is included - they either would not or could not tell me.  The document did say that MOTs would be additional, but half price.

So the answer is really that there is no standard price for a Service Plan, and the dealer will charge what they wish.

19 minutes ago, Really? said:

Who knows what is included - they either would not or could not tell me.  The document did say that MOTs would be additional, but half price.

So the answer is really that there is no standard price for a Service Plan, and the dealer will charge what they wish.

Yeah, it's still not as transparent as Toyota like you to think it is. Particularly when you look at the comparison chart for the Intermediate, Full and Full+ services.

It's not very helpful when you have an annotation next to a service procedure, stating that it's model dependant. Owner's shouldn't have to then contact the dealer to find out what is included in their service.

Why on earth Toyota can't use interactive media to show exactly what gets done to your car. All it would take is an input for registration number and mileage. Then click 'ok' and it shows you exactly what will get done at your next service, with a nice little print out feature thrown in for good measure.

Toyota doesn't specify costs for service plans. Ideally a service plan should state how many services are included, and which services they are - in your case two silver and one gold - and, as Toyota services are standard packages, one can check the Toyota website to determine what is included within each service.

There is a maximum charge set by DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) for MOT's (currently £54.85), and garages can charge what they want up to this maximum charge. Where a garage advertises half price MOT's, the 50% reduction is always based on this maximum charge.

Some manufacturers now offer fixed price service plans which can only be bought when a new car is ordered - for example for our i20, we purchased a 3 year fixed price service plan when ordering the car, for £349. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links