Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Walkie Talkie

breezer

Hey peeps. Jus wana kno sum info.

Right i know the standard walkie talkies which range upto 3km/3miles are LEGAL!

But why are the ones from the US which range upto 8miles ILLEGAL over here

We used to use Motorolla Radios on some big shows, I am not sure the distance, but we used boosters etc... They can cover Glastonbury so... As far as I am aware, we had to have a license to use them and specific frequencies were isuued.

Nowadays, I am using the 3 mile version, but they're a bit naff - and can pick up local taxi's whicha can confuse things... :ffs:

We've got Motorola's at work - I think you need a license for the long distance ones?

about as easy as getting caught without a tv license i suppose.. depends how often and for how long you're using them.

no point in buying a license if you're going to use them once for 30 minutes. On the flip side if you're going to use them for 6 hours a day every day then there's a bigger chance of being caught.

hmmm! is it easy to get caught without a license?

Well with your license comes alocated frequency useage. Without this you may accidently tap into military frequency range and land up in a whole lot of trouble that you realy,realy don't want to get into :ph34r:

The year before last we were doing a huge pop festival and the frequencies issued to all radio microphones accidently clashed with police and military. The entire frequency range was squelshed and we lost all transmission infront of 90 odd thousand people. The promotors had to face severe consequences due to legal and contractual agreements between artists and face both military and police investigation. Not good. Fortunately the only thing that happened to us, the PA company, was loose the client and anual gig worth about £250 000 :)

the price you pay includes the licnce, the US ones may use frequecies that are not allowed in the UK

Operating without a licence can have serious consequences especially if you don't know the frequencies you are operating on. We had a couple of lads operating VHF radio's in Cardiff as walkie talkies but didn't realise they were on the emergency channels even after being told repeatedly over the radio to clear the channels. They had stolen the handsets from a local lifeboat station so the radio's were programmed for Ch 0 which is the search and rescue channel and the coastguard were having a nightmare trying to co-ordinate some situations.

They were caught in the end and are up in court soon. I'll let you know what happens.

Operating without a licence can have serious consequences especially if you don't know the frequencies you are operating on. We had a couple of lads operating VHF radio's in Cardiff as walkie talkies but didn't realise they were on the emergency channels even after being told repeatedly over the radio to clear the channels. They had stolen the handsets from a local lifeboat station so the radio's were programmed for Ch 0 which is the search and rescue channel and the coastguard were having a nightmare trying to co-ordinate some situations.

They were caught in the end and are up in court soon. I'll let you know what happens.

stealing from a lifeboat station? Sad ****ers

and they let off red flares which scrambled the SAR units then messed about on the radio's. 2 choppers 3 lifeboats and about 15 coastguard involved.

As i said some people don't realise the cosequences.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links