Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warranty Rules

rushy45

Hi, My Auris has had a annoying knock for a while now, I took it in to my Toyota dealer who could not find the problem and that was that, I since called in a local garage and asked them if they would have a look, they gave it a real good looking at and told me the problem is the drivers side anti roll bar droplink, my problem now is if I go back to the toyota garage and tell them they are very likely to get annoyed with me for going to another garage, they tend to be touchy. If I let the other garage change the droplink would this effect my remaining warranty if it was spotted by toyota in the future.

I know I should just go back and tell them at toyota but just dont want any confrontation with them

If there is a problem that is covered under warranty, I don't see why one should pay a third party to fix it.

I'd go back to the dealer, say you've had a further look at the car as you're still getting the noise, and suspect the drop link. Ask them specifically to check the drop link. No need to mention the third party.

At the end of the day, you still have an issue with the car, and they need to determine what the issue is, and fix it. No need for confrontation - be polite but insistant. 

Thanks Frosty, I agree with everything you say, thats the way I would normally go but not long ago I mentioned on here about the headlights not having enough spread, someone kindly posted a toyota bulitin stating the any auris with this problem needed to have the headlights changed and only needed to get the ok from Toyota uk, I did that and no problem they wrote back telling me to call at my local toyota garage to have them done. Now the problem..... I had mentioned the headlights to the dealer before this who said he knew of no problem with them (never looked if there was a bulitin} so when I called in with the bulitin and email for repair, they took me to one side and had a go at me, said the public is not privvy to toyota bulitins and I should not go on internet, if I have a problem I should go to them and they sort it (which I did), said they get marks agaist them as it looks like I was fobbed off, then when they could not find the knocking they just tod me my car is 3 years old and should expect noises, I could go on but gives an idea of why I dont want to go back to them, sorry for the rant

there must be more than 1 Toyota dealer in Merseyside...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rushy45 said:

I had mentioned the headlights to the dealer before this who said he knew of no problem with them (never looked if there was a bulitin} so when I called in with the bulitin and email for repair, they took me to one side and had a go at me, said the public is not privvy to toyota bulitins and I should not go on internet, if I have a problem I should go to them and they sort it (which I did), said they get marks agaist them as it looks like I was fobbed off, then when they could not find the knocking they just tod me my car is 3 years old and should expect noises, I could go on but gives an idea of why I dont want to go back to them, sorry for the rant

As Heidfirst says, go to another dealer. Then I would write a letter to Toyota HQ, highlighting exactly what your current dealer has said to you, and the poor way you've been treated. As for the car being 3 years old and you should expect noises, what a pile of crap. Bet Toyota HQ will love to hear about that comment.

The customer comes first, and it sounds like they are only looking after their own interests. I'm angry at the dealer for you :angry:

Have now got it booked in at the Toyota dealer next Thursday, have not mentioned the drop link yet, they said on the phone that they are going to replace the strut mounts as they checked everything else! Will leave a note in car for them to check the drop link, they will wonder why I have said that. Will let you all know what happens and if they cure the knock, would still like to know if getting droplinks done at a independent would effect my future warranty.

Thanks to all who replied to my post. Thanks.. Mike

The warranty would just not cover the work done and probably the parts replaced by the third party. The remainder of the warranty shouldn't be affected. You could, on your note, say that you suspect the drop link, and ask for it to be checked whilst they're doing the work to replace the strut mounts. No need to explain why. I would also verbally ask them to check the droplink when you take it in, as well as leaving a note.

Hi, Just a update, car went in today, they said to replace the strut mounts, anyway the chap who picked my car up this morning heard the knocking a few times when he was turning right, so when it was returned they put on a new engine mount instead of strut mount.... fingers crossed but it seems to have cured it, it had gone on so long I was ready to sell car as I thought it would never be found, will let you all know in a few days if definite cure. Thanks all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links