Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes

Milky Bar Kid 1001

Hi just wondering if anyone had any ideas/ advise regarding what the best pad a disc make people use. I work in a garage so see a lot of different makes of both pads and discs used by my company. I put on a set of discs and pads around 10,000 miles/ 1 yr ago and I've now got serious brake judder after a long journey. I bought Bosch Pads and Pagid Discs at the time because I thought they would better than the cheap set of brakes I had got previously. What is the general thinking the best make for peoples' Avensis?? How much do OEM cost, I get trade discount which helps but would go down this route as a last resort. Any help/ ideas??

Thanks Rich 

When they needed replaced anyway I replaced the oem setup  on my 2007 2.2 D4D Tourer with MTEC discs & Ferodo Premier pads. Not the cheapest solution (albeit cheaper than oem) & other brands are available but I was much happier with the feel & perceived braking performance than I had been on the oem. Hadn't had any problems by the time that I sold the car.

I am using Apec disc and pads all round on my current Mk3 1.8 Vmatic Tourer and they are on my old Mk1 Avensis front disc and pads. They were installed after problem with Blueprint and the cheap brand they were using at Euro Car Parts. 

The Apec fit and finished is high. The Bosch pads they replaced also look high quality but worn. The feel is good and the stopping power effortless.

So long as you buy well made parts, then you should have no issues.

Just put pagid discs and pads all-round on my T25. The quality of the parts is spot on but they lack that initial bite IMO. Maybe they need more than a couple of week to bed in. 

I'm using Pagid discs at the moment and they've warped. I don't do massive long distances, bout 15 miles a day with the occasional long run. Ok so I can feel a little judder on my commute after 10 minutes of fast ish roads (mixture or 30, 40 & national speed limits) but it's on the longer runs after half hour of motorway driving that it is becomes apparent. Before I fitted them I cleaned the drive flanges of any dirt/ corrosion so they were flat smooth surfaces. Do drive flanges warp... never heard of it happening on other cars (I'm in the trade so work on different makes etc). Maybe I just had a crap set of discs.

Heidfirst where did you get your brakes from? How much were they compared to OEM?? :-)

This American chappie has some interesting theories on brake disc warping and so on...

I do appreciate that this isn't the Shelby Cobra forum.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

I don't own an Avensis, but, perhaps this short list of some brake pad manufacturers that are available at ECP may be of help to someone?

Eicher - EuroCarParts own brand from the Orient, name made to sound a bit German. Budget.

Pagid - A brand of TMD Friction, who also own Textar, Mintex and Don brands, OE on some cars (even Bugatti, says their website)

ATE - Artur Teves(?) Definitely an OE supplier of pads, calipers and ABS.

Bosch - Definitely OE on some cars.

Pagid pads and brake parts I've bought (not that many) seem well-made and have come complete with new shims and bolts where necessary. Perhaps they have to on some applications.

10 hours ago, Milky Bar Kid 1001 said:

I'm using Pagid discs at the moment and they've warped. 

An old forum user, Mistermena, had problems with Pagid on his Avensis T25 T180. He also went with MTEC discs after those but with Mintex pads & was happy.

Heidfirst where did you get your brakes from? How much were they compared to OEM?? :-)

The discs came direct from MTEC (I had grooved only with the black hub coating), the Ferodo Premier pads came from whoever was cheapest at the time - think that it was Premier Factors on ebay.

Toyota's Fixed Price Repair Scheme has front discs & pads fitted for £260 list. MTEC front discs ~£70, Ferodo Premier front pads ~£30.

On 12/4/2016 at 0:25 PM, Konrad C said:

I am using Apec disc and pads all round on my current Mk3 1.8 Vmatic Tourer and they are on my old Mk1 Avensis front disc and pads. They were installed after problem with Blueprint and the cheap brand they were using at Euro Car Parts. 

The Apec fit and finished is high. The Bosch pads they replaced also look high quality but worn. The feel is good and the stopping power effortless.

So long as you buy well made parts, then you should have no issues.

18 hours ago, Gerg said:

This American chappie has some interesting theories on brake disc warping and so on...

I do appreciate that this isn't the Shelby Cobra forum.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

I don't own an Avensis, but, perhaps this short list of some brake pad manufacturers that are available at ECP may be of help to someone?

Eicher - EuroCarParts own brand from the Orient, name made to sound a bit German. Budget.

Pagid - A brand of TMD Friction, who also own Textar, Mintex and Don brands, OE on some cars (even Bugatti, says their website)

Bosch - Definitely OE on some cars.

Pagid pads and brake parts I've bought (not that many) seem well-made and have come complete with new shims and bolts where necessary. Perhaps they have to on some applications.

Eicher were the brand I tried on the Mk1 fronts after the brake judder of the Blueprint set. The Eichers suffered the same fate within the same time period after a few months. The build quality of the Eicher disc and pads were not as good as the other brands. Then replaced with Apec and no problems since. The car was on Apec before the Blueprint (and Eicher) and lasted well, so went back to that brand.

Avoid cheap brands and the Blueprints were a surprising disappointment. Installation was the same for all brakes. Clean hub mating faces, degrease the disc brake surface, clean calipers, and copper grease back of pads. When I installed the last Apec set, I also changed the brake fluid with my Gunson pressure bleeding kit. All this to eliminate a re-occurrence of the brake judder. That was a few years now and the car has been fine since. 

Edited by Konrad C
additional words

i had brake judder with adl blueprint disc and pads changed pads to oem-no judder

On 05/12/2016 at 1:01 PM, Gerg said:

The company that used to be Alfred Teves/ATE is now part of the Continental Group.

On my T27 2.0 D4D, im using Toyota OEM/OPTIFIT disc on back and EBC green stuff bads. Works well.

When time is, th front brakes will get the same.

imo the oem brakes on the T27 are much better than on the T25 (which the OP is asking about) - quite happy with them on my T27, wasn't on my T25.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links