Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris (2004) 1.3L- Missing/Broken Belt?!?

Jo5490

Toyota Yaris (2004) 1.3L:

The Battery light lit up midway through our journey today (the driver didn’t mention it to me at the time), about 30 minutes later this was accompanied by the hot coolant light (flashing) and finally the engine warning light.  

When the last 2 lights appeared, we were pretty much home so the car is now parked up on my road and I’ve let the engine cool down. I’ve checked the battery’s charge and the level of coolant- both seem fine. The engine starts fine and everything appears to be working like normal but the engine warning light and Battery light stay lit.

Having had a quick look under the bonnet it looks like one of the belts might have gone, but I know nothing about cars!

From the picture and the description does it look like this is the case?

If so…

What belt is this (e.g. fan belt)?

Can I drive it to the closest garage (approximately 1 mile away) to get it fixed or will that cause serious damage?

Roughly how much would you expect to be charged (parts and labour) for it to be fixed?

If not, do you have any other ideas of what the problem could be?

As I said, I know nothing about cars so I apologies if this is a really stupid question, but any help would be really appreciated!

DSC06400.JPG

Yeah just looks like the Aux/Fan belt has gone. Not an expensive part, even Toyota ones, and assuming it's like my D4D engine it should be easy to replace; A quick job!

I replaced mine when trying to diagnose the brain-stabbing screeching noise mine was making when the engine was cold in cold/damp conditions (Didn't help; Turned out there is another, thinner, belt further down that drives the power-steering pump which was the cause! Also a cheap part; Might be worth getting both done if they've never been changed ever!)

The only really important thing the Aux belt drives is the alternator so you miiight run out of power if you drive without it, otherwise I don't think it'll cause any further damage.

Edit: Oh yeah, it does drive the coolant pump too! Again, not a major issue in this season for a short hop.

The aux/fan belt was £18.57 and the power-steering one was £6.15 for my Yaris; I expect it's similar for the petrol one! My mechanic charged me a tenner to fit them, but he was giving the car an oil change at the time.

I'd check the oil level too before driving it again, and then check it and the coolant often (say every 50 mile intervals) for a couple of hundred miles to make sure the overheating hasn't caused any other damage. (Overheating can damage gaskets or warp parts resulting in leaks. If your oil or coolant disappear without you noticing the next warning light could = ££££s.)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links