Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Multimedia/navigation installed

BhxTrev

After being unable to get along with the multi-media in my New Prius Excel I contacted Toyota a while ago & they did reply giving me some advice. Nevertheless, although not happy I continued driving the car just using basic things as far as the multimedia was concerned. However, recently I felt that I needed to get your know more but when I looked at the display I realised that the map page looked nothing like the one in the online manual.

When I pressed the SETUP key I realised that according to page 142 of the manual the option page displayed was the same as that on the basic Toyota Touch2 multimedia system, not the Toyota Touch2 with Go Plus navigation system as should be fitted to the Prius Excel, which has a completely different SETUP option page.

This doesn't explain why the buttons on the right of the map page are completely different to those described in the online manual or indeed the online information I was referred to by Toyota. There's not even a button to split the screen which once again is referred to in the online manual. My conclusion therefore is that I have been sold a brand new car which contains inferior multimedia equipment that quite frankly has tested my patience & I'm quite angry about now.

I have sent all the details to Toyota & demanded that they do something about this situation. I have also phone their Head Office today & spoke to a very pleasant young lady from Customer Services, who has assured me that she would pass all information on & ask it to be treated with urgently. 

It may be just a serious software problem or the whole thing might need replacing for the proper equipment. I don't know because I'm no expert but what I do know is that if they don't fix this ASAP or even worse if I'm ignored I'm off to Trading Standards because I've had enough of the situation now!! Has anyone else out there had this problem or is this just a Friday car? I have a bad feeling about how good this car is going to turn out compared to my previous Gen3 Prius, if I'm going through such grief already!

It should be Touch2 with Go like my new Excel model and I'm puzzled how you could have been provided something else.

Out of interest, what does it say you have on the MyToyota website?

At the end of the day, your contract is with the dealer and not the manufacturer, so you should be approaching the dealer to get this rectified.

Also see - 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius/grade/EXC say Excel has Touch 2 with Go not Go Plus.

The November/December Price list doesn't show Go Plus as even an option https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/November 2016 Pricelist_tcm-3060-602975.pdf

Also, T2 with Go received a major software upgrade earlier in the year which changed the interface some I believe (I don't have T2) so it could be that the manuals haven't yet caught up with the change.

What version of software is your car running? 

Press "settings" > "General" > "Software information"

As earlier MK4 Prius launched with the original version of Touch 2 software, Toyota launched the latest version few months after the Prius deliveries started so it is possible you are reading instructions for the newer software which is visually quite different to the earlier software.

Earlier software versions would be 4.5.#.w#

Later version started with 6.7.0w#

Hi

i have prius excel 2016 and do not have the button to split screen.But when the navigator screen is on there is small  arrow if you press it the media screen will show on the cornor of the navigator screen.

Mike from the previous post is correct, you need to speak to the dealership you bought the car from. I had a similar problem when my car was delivered, in that they didn't install the map software. I believe it's part of the Pre Delivery Inspection, that's carried out by the dealership. If they've screwed up and won't correct it, then speak to Toyota. 

Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments.

I have to say when I buy a car I do expect the manuals to give me the right instructions for my vehicle not a load of gobbledegook that has nothing to do with what is installed. I've been in touch with my local Toyota garage & they recommended that I contact Toyota UK direct which I have done. I didn't buy the car from my local garage but from another dealer Vantage Toyota Birmingham,  because they offered the best deal at the time. However they are miles away from me & surely with a company like Toyota with its global let alone UK network of outlets, any outlet should be able to deal with this problem? 

Heidfirst, the price list for Nov/Dec might show only the Touch2 with Go but I can assure you that the brochure I ordered my car out of, has the Excel fitted with the Touch2 with Go plus! What the hell are you suggesting? 

I have not heard anything from Toyota so far. I guess they've sold me the car & couldn't care less. Wish I knew this before I bought it! 

IMG_1724.JPG

Firstly any brochure from any manufacturer always contains a disclaimer along the lines that the manufacturer reserves the right to change spoecifications, equipment and availability without prior notice, and that the brochure cannot be regarded as infallible.

Secondly, if one is looking to involve Trading Standards, then as highlighted previously, the contract of sale is between the purchaser and the supplying dealer, and that will be the stance Trading Standards will take. At the end of the day, it wasn't Toyota who sold you the vehicle, it was Vantage Toyota Birmingham.

It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that Vantage may have sold you a vehicle left from the launch stock, with the loiwer spec multimedia system. Again it will be back to Vantage to determine what they have done.

31 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

I have to say when I buy a car I do expect the manuals to give me the right instructions for my vehicle not a load of gobbledegook that has nothing to do with what is installed. The manuals have to cover various versions so inevitably will have stuff in them that won't relate to your particular vehicle. & when a software update changes an existing UI I don't really know what you can do for people with an existing manual other than offering a download of an updated one or perhaps buying an updated hard copy? I suspect that it's an issue which may increasingly affect many manufacturers.

I've been in touch with my local Toyota garage & they recommended that I contact Toyota UK direct which I have done. I didn't buy the car from my local garage but from another dealer Vantage Toyota Birmingham,  because they offered the best deal at the time. However they are miles away from me & surely with a company like Toyota with its global let alone UK network of outlets, any outlet should be able to deal with this problem? Look at/confirm the issue, perhaps, but ultimately your contract is with the supplying dealer, not any other dealer or indeed Toyota itself so it is up to the supplying dealer to sort it.

Heidfirst, the price list for Nov/Dec might show only the Touch2 with Go but I can assure you that the brochure I ordered my car out of, has the Excel fitted with the Touch2 with Go plus! What the hell are you suggesting? All I was doing was pointing out that the only info available to me  (current brochure & price list) don't show T2 with Go Plus as even an option. & whilst I perfectly willing to believe you I also imagine that somewhere on yours there is probably an E&OE statement.

I have not heard anything from Toyota so far. I guess they've sold me the car & couldn't care less. Wish I knew this before I bought it! Toyota UK CS is usually very good - if you have contacted the right people you will hear from them.

Do what Devon Aygo asked & look at what software your unit is running - if it is T2 with Go it will end in an L (for low) & if Plus it will have H (for high).

Have done what Devon Aygo suggested,

i.e. Press "settings" > "General" > "Software information"

There are two pages available & neither offers any information on software version - please see attached photos below.

So far folks I'm a bit unimpressed since any advice given simply doesn't help with getting this matter sorted other than tell me all the rights Toyota have & that I can't really do anything about it other than moan to Toyota Vantage. Beginning to wonder what kind of car company I'm dealing with since this appears now to be a software problem so why aren't they instructing my local Toyota garage to install the correct version?

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Insulting everyone that has taken the time to reply isn't really the way to get help is it? 

The obvious thing to press in that screen is System information isn't it?

You should now press System Information (not Software Information).

Craggie,

That wasn't the instructions I was given! Please look at Devon Argo's instructions. I'm so frustrated especially when I've tried & tried to get along with this multimedia & I apologise if you think I'm insulting everybody. The fact is really I'm fed up now & I'll just make this last posting on this forum & if I get no replies that's fine by me. 

I did press system & would have done so if I was instructed. It told me the Software version: 4.5.0WH, Map ID:2015v2

I'll send the details to Toyota & ask them to update the system. Also the Plus on the Touch2 with Go Plus simply means that I should get free map updates for three years. 

Thanks all for your help

Trev, the "Plus" adds voice recognition, 3D landmarks, text-to-speech, Toyota Map Care (updates) and Wifi connectivity. The WH on the end of your version signifies that you have go plus so it looks like it's just your software that's out of date.

I have software version 6.7.0WH on my Excel, it had an earlier version when I got it end of March 2016, I updated it from the Toyota portal (My Toyota) by USB stick.

FWIW, my original version had some similarity to the online manual available at the time (March 2016), as did the Nav section of the basic hardcopy handbook supplied with the car, but after updating, the new software had a lot of differences to both manuals.

The dealer should bring it up to date as of the date of sale FOC, but after that it's up to the user to update it within the 3 year free updates period. I'd suggest that you look into updating it yourself from the My Toyota website, it's not a difficult process, then when the next update comes out you can DIY and it will save you a trip to the dealers. I recommend that you only update maps that you use, it cuts the updating process time down significantly. IIRC the full update takes about an hour, whereas when I updated just the software and UK maps it took around 15 minutes.

• Like 1

If you do this, make sure you are in READY mode ('engine' fully on) while it does the update in car.

If you are just in Accessory or 'dash lights on' modes, it will shut down after 20 minutes or so to protect the 12V Battery, but if it's in mid update at the time it can cause problems.  I think one owner was unable to use most or all of the screens after this happened until his dealer did a software reinstall for him.

• Like 1

Hi kithmo & PeteB,

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head so to speak. Vantage Toyota Birmingham should have ensured that the car's software was up to date but obviously they didn't. I'll take a look at My Toyota & try download the update to a USB stick. That was an invaluable piece of advice you gave me Pete about leaving the engine on because you quite rightly point out that after about 20 minutes the system would otherwise switch off. 

Will let you know how I get on but it many be a while before I can do so at the moment.

Thanks again. 

Forgot to say, on the My Toyota website, the map update shows as priced at £109, a bit worrying at first, but when you click on it to purchase, it then shows as £0.

Cheers kithmo,

I did notice that & although I didn't do the download due to being a bit busy, I did notice that. Mind you, quite frankly I'd pay the £109 if it's going to sort my dilemma! Both you & Pete's advice has been invaluable. Most grateful.

9 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Have done what Devon Aygo suggested,

i.e. Press "settings" > "General" > "Software information"

There are two pages available & neither offers any information on software version - please see attached photos below.

So far folks I'm a bit unimpressed since any advice given simply doesn't help with getting this matter sorted other than tell me all the rights Toyota have & that I can't really do anything about it other than moan to Toyota Vantage. Beginning to wonder what kind of car company I'm dealing with since this appears now to be a software problem so why aren't they instructing my local Toyota garage to install the correct version?

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

My apologies i have miss picked the last option, you are on the correct page in your second photo but you need "System information"  

2 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi kithmo & PeteB,

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head so to speak. Vantage Toyota Birmingham should have ensured that the car's software was up to date but obviously they didn't. I'll take a look at My Toyota & try download the update to a USB stick. That was an invaluable piece of advice you gave me Pete about leaving the engine on because you quite rightly point out that after about 20 minutes the system would otherwise switch off. 

Will let you know how I get on but it many be a while before I can do so at the moment.

Thanks again. 

The initial batch of cars launched with the earlier version of software this was the correct version at the time and as it is the old software it does not offer the free map updates that became standard with the new updated software. we don't know when the OP's car was delivered so cannot say if the car should have had the earlier or later software.

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

The initial batch of cars launched with the earlier version of software this was the correct version at the time and as it is the old software it does not offer the free map updates that became standard with the new updated software. we don't know when the OP's car was delivered so cannot say if the car should have had the earlier or later software.

I got my car 25th March 2016, it was one of the first in the country, it had the old software, before I updated to 6.7.0WH, which came out in April 2016 and I get free updates, so he should.

I had a 2012 Prius+ with Touch & go Plus before I got the Gen 4 and I got 3 years free updates with that, I assumed that 3 years free updates came with all touch and go systems since 2012. 

Hi Devon Aygo,

I ordered the car from Vantage Toyota Birmingham, during May 2016 using brochure details as published. I was told it would be at least September before the car would be delivered. I took delivery on 2nd September but curiously the car had a registration 66 plate on it when I went to view it at the garage, please see attached photo though I had it registered to my personal registration number. Have I been duped & was this some sort of pre registered vehicle, in fact do you reckon I need to seek legal advice because I ordered a brand new according to brochure, vehicle. Any comments would be helpful. 

IMG_1664.JPG

If it was pre-registered the V5C would show 2 owners at Part 2 - so what does your show?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links