Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Multimedia/navigation installed

BhxTrev

Hi Frosty,

Just looked at the VC5 & part 2 does indeed state that The previous registered keeper (Z.1)  NONE Therefore It's not pre-registered & I really am the first owner. That was excellent advice & I'm just baffled as to why they would waste money & time sticking a registration number on my car? I guess this makes things easier since i should now be able to download the software package to sort my problem. All this nonsense is really a shame because as I've said before the car is absolutely superb to drive & many of the features it has are so fantastic. I only wish I can eventually sort this problem but it's certainly been great that you & others like kithmo & Devon Aygo understand what my problem is all about.

Hi Frosty,

Just looked at the VC5 & part 2 does indeed state that The previous registered keeper (Z.1)  NONE Therefore It's not pre-registered & I really am the first owner. That was excellent advice & 'm just baffled as to why they would waste money & time sticking a registration number on my car before I took possession of it? 

However, I guess this makes things easier since i should now be able to download the software package to sort my problem. All this nonsense is really a shame because as I've said before the car is absolutely superb to drive & many of the features it has are so fantastic. I only wish I can eventually sort this problem but it's certainly been great that you & others like kithmo & Devon Aygo understand the reason I'm having problems with the multimedia. 

1 hour ago, kithmo said:

I got my car 25th March 2016, it was one of the first in the country, it had the old software, before I updated to 6.7.0WH, which came out in April 2016 and I get free updates, so he should.

I had a 2012 Prius+ with Touch & go Plus before I got the Gen 4 and I got 3 years free updates with that, I assumed that 3 years free updates came with all touch and go systems since 2012. 

Touch 2 & go up until late 2016 ( when latest software was introduced ) did not include free updates, Go + & Go Pro did include free updates as per your 2012 Prius+. 

On Touch & Go before the update there was a short window after the car was registered for either the dealer to update before delivery or the customer id a new version became available iirc it had to be done between 200 and 500 miles after this any update was chargeable.

As the OP's car has the earlier software unless if falls into the above then someone will have to pay the get the car updated to the latest software which would then include the 3 years free map updates, if it can be shown that the car should have had the latest software installed by the supplying dealer they should pay beyond that it is not his local dealers fault so they are unlikely to pay.  if the car was correctly delivered with the earlier software then the OP may have to pay.

BhxTrev one thing I hadn't actually asked is what issues are you having? 

Hi Devon,

To answer you the buttons on the right hand side of the map view are nothing like those described in the manual. Please see the attached photo. Besides that you will note, there's no arrow allowing me to split the screen as indicated in the manual & something I'd personally find useful. When I select SETUP, yet again I get the screen reffering to the Toyota Touch2, (please see attached photo)  rather than that in the manual that refers to the Toyota Touch2 with Go Plus navigation system as described on page 152 of the online multimedia manual, (please see attached photo).

Dont know if this helps but I have to say that as much as I've loved my last Prius & I like driving this one, if this cannot be resolved  I'm afraid I'll not be buying another Toyota of any sort. If it's a matter of paying to put this right if you know how I can get this resolved I'm happy to do that. 

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1723.PNG

Hi Devon Aygo,

Managed to download the update 6.8.1H zip file to my computer so that I can transfer it to a USB stick, but I have noticed that there was another update 4.3.0H also available. Do you know if I need to download & install that before I install 6.8.1H? Also the 6.8.1H download was free as has been mentioned.

You should be able to go straight to 6.8.1

4 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Devon Aygo,

Managed to download the update 6.8.1H zip file to my computer so that I can transfer it to a USB stick, but I have noticed that there was another update 4.3.0H also available. Do you know if I need to download & install that before I install 6.8.1H? Also the 6.8.1H download was free as has been mentioned.

Glad you managed to get the download F.O.C, you don't want 4.3.0 that's a backwards step you can go straight from 4.5.1WH upto 6.8.1WH this will then give you the new look interface

• Like 1

Heidfirst/Devon Aygo, 

Excellent & thanks for your advice. I'll use just the 6.8.1H version. Maybe things are looking up now for me. I just had one little hiccup since after downloading to the hard drive on my PC, I tried to moved the zipped file onto a USB 8Gb stick. The PC wouldn't let me do that with a message stating that the capacity of the USB stick wasn't large enough. I nipped out & bought a super duper fast Sandisk 32Gb stick but got the same message. When I opened the zip file & then selected the group of files the PC let me download the files to my original USB 8Gb stick! You know folks I really ought to get the manual for Dummies since I think I'm losing it! I guess you get frustrated with my ineptness but I can assure you that I'm really so grateful any advice I can get. I'd like to try to download some extra apps so if I get in a mess I'll ask you for help if that's okay. 

On 12/9/2016 at 10:12 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Touch 2 & go up until late 2016 ( when latest software was introduced ) did not include free updates, Go + & Go Pro did include free updates as per your 2012 Prius+. 

On Touch & Go before the update there was a short window after the car was registered for either the dealer to update before delivery or the customer id a new version became available iirc it had to be done between 200 and 500 miles after this any update was chargeable.

As the OP's car has the earlier software unless if falls into the above then someone will have to pay the get the car updated to the latest software which would then include the 3 years free map updates, if it can be shown that the car should have had the latest software installed by the supplying dealer they should pay beyond that it is not his local dealers fault so they are unlikely to pay.  if the car was correctly delivered with the earlier software then the OP may have to pay.

As I said in my last post, my car was registered March, i.e. early 2016, had the old software (same screens as Trev's pictures above), before I updated to 6.7.0WH for free, so I couldn't understand why you said he would have had to pay ? 

Since he's now updated it for free, as I said he should have been able to, it's now a mute point but a confusing one. :confused:

I also updated to the latest 6.8.1WH after my last post, selecting only UK and Ireland maps, took it 20 minutes, so I'm all up to date now. :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, kithmo said:

As I said in my last post, my car was registered March, i.e. early 2016, had the old software (same screens as Trev's pictures above), before I updated to 6.7.0WH for free, so I couldn't understand why you said he would have had to pay ? 

Since he's now updated it for free, as I said he should have been able to, it's now a mute point but a confusing one. :confused:

I also updated to the latest 6.8.1WH after my last post, selecting only UK and Ireland maps, took it 20 minutes, so I'm all up to date now. :thumbsup:

It must be a NG Pruis "thing" as I update customers media systems almost daily ( usually as part of a warranty complaint ) and even today i had to purchase an update licence to get a Rav on 4.5.1 upto 6.8.1, I also missed the OP has an Excel which has " High " grade Nav which even on old software versions had free updates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Well I've finally found time to update my multimedia to 6.8.1WH using the download I made to a USB stick. It took about 30mins after only downloading maps that might be useful, so not too bad. The great news is that the screen looks like that in the manual & I now have the split screen as described. Also the 'buttons' on the right hand side of the screen with the one at the bottom having three dots also all look exactly as the manual. When I think about it, the car should have been updated by the garage before I picked it up on 2nd September, because this update was available then & since I've got the Excel version, it wouldn't have cost them anything anyway. Toyota have been in touch with the garage & they did contact me while I was abroad to take the car in. However thanks to all the brilliant help & advice from a number of you on this forum, who by the way must have great patience with the likes of a numbskull like me, I have been able to solve this irritating problem so I can let them know it's been sorted. Once again thanks for all your help & I sincerely wish all of you a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year,

Trev

I would be interested in feedback from people who've downloaded the latest version and been using it for a while on:

• any noticeable improvement on map accuracy
  • any new Nav features (such as ability to save a multi stop journey)
  • reliability of USB music facility
  • any other benefits
  • any problems in use

Thanks, regards Pete

There is a long and ongoing series of comments at the bottom of this page on the Toyota website:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch2-with-go-receives-major-software-upgrade

If there is anyone who has a list of the changes from version 6.7.0 to 6.8.1, would you please post it here? I'm not sure if the potential gains are worth the hassle that some have experienced.

2 hours ago, GreenJuice said:

There is a long and ongoing series of comments at the bottom of this page on the Toyota website:..

Thanks for that.

I like the opening line: "Toyota Touch 2, our range of innovative, highly-affordable touch-screen multimedia systems..."

On my last Gen 3, which was an ex-demo, it would have cost me £1,000 extra for T&G+ (1st generation) even though the screen and all the audio hardware were already standard.  I wouldn't have paid £50 for it!  After the free 3 years of upgrades (only 1 yearly upgrade appeared per 18 months!) it cost about £109 per upgrade for horribly out of date maps.

The only thing that might interest me (and only if the map accuracy is about 400% better than in the past) is the real time traffic - I would like to see how it compares with my TomTom 6000's real time traffic, which is so impressive it's the only system I've allowed to reroute me without asking (so far).

But I'll wait until I've 'heard' a fair number of real users say that it's been reliable and stable before I even think of doing the upgrade myself.

7 hours ago, PeteB said:

On my last Gen 3, which was an ex-demo, it would have cost me £1,000 extra for T&G+ (1st generation) even though the screen and all the audio hardware were already standard.  I wouldn't have paid £50 for it!  After the free 3 years of upgrades (only 1 yearly upgrade appeared per 18 months!) it cost about £109 per upgrade for horribly out of date maps.

I took them to task for that (the system was advertised as having 2 updates per year) & got an extra 2 updates foc from Toyota CS. 

Afaik all integrated system mapping is out of date - because they connect into the cars systems they require additional testing compared to standalone. Toyota's Here-based mapping is usually 1 year out of date when released as an update for cars.

3 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

... Toyota's Here-based mapping is usually 1 year out of date when released as an update for cars.

Some of the errors on the updated maps on my old Gen 3 Prius had been wrong for over 5 years, especially speed limits, but also roads not shown, wrongly shown prohibited turns and one way streets.

I appreciate a higher standard of testing may be needed for built in systems, but that should mostly apply to software (which needs updating less frequently than map data) and considering the massively higher pricing of the built in systems and their updates (when not free) they ought to be able to put more resourcing into it.  One would have thought for reputation alone they would try harder than they seem to.

I liked the built in TomTom system in the 2011 Yaris I had briefly as it had the advantages of built in with the benefits of a portable device (it could be removed and used elsewhere, routes entered away from the car, or plugged into a PC for much easier updating).

Given the T&G2+ system has WiFi capability, it's a shame it can't be updated directly over WiFi (for owners who can park close enough to home) without needing the SB stick.

11 hours ago, PeteB said:

Some of the errors on the updated maps on my old Gen 3 Prius had been wrong for over 5 years, especially speed limits, but also roads not shown, wrongly shown prohibited turns and one way streets.

Presumably it is wrong in the data that Here supply to them then?

I appreciate a higher standard of testing may be needed for built in systems, but that should mostly apply to software (which needs updating less frequently than map data) and considering the massively higher pricing of the built in systems and their updates (when not free) they ought to be able to put more resourcing into it.  One would have thought for reputation alone they would try harder than they seem to.

I am not sure who does it, quite possibly it is Harman rather than Toyota. As I said other manufacturers seem to be similarly tardy.

Given the T&G2+ system has WiFi capability, it's a shame it can't be updated directly over WiFi (for owners who can park close enough to home) without needing the SB stick.

Does it have WiFi? The original T&G+ only has Bluetooth. I guess that's been added primarily to increase speed of data transmission between phone & head unit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links