Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

help with the wifes mk2 rav4 vvti issues

adzn3k

Hi guys,

After buying a GT4 celica my wife wanted her own toyota so i bought her a lovely 5 door xt3 2.0 vvti.

I wasn't much money and came with a packed service history and all the xt3 extras, however it also came with some issues:

1, Running rich (scanned with odb2 and 1st o2 sensor needs changing)

2, Random knocking when going over rough or bad road surfaces but not when going over speed bumps (i'm changing all the lower arms, balljoints, bushes and front shocks in a hope to sort it)

3, The radiator fans are constantly running (i had this on my gt4 but that was a loose sensor plug)

4, It seems to rev too much when pulling away kind of causing it to kangaroo its had new clutch and slave cylinder so i know they are good

We love the rav its a really nice car to drive and once these issues are sorted it'll be fantastic

if anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction i'll be very greatful.

Petrol or diesel ? I have a petrol and they can tend to be a bit  revy when pulling away making them a bit jerkey between 1st and 2nd gear change you tend to get used to it but it's normal. My radiator fan only cuts in when very hot and stuck in traffic so that doesn't seem right on yours. The petrol Ravs are brilliant and ultra reliable with only a few O2 sensors being the issues oh and if manual 5th gear can be a problem but not too bad to sort out.

It's the 2.0 petrol.  We love it the wife's wanted one for ages so earned major brownie points when I collected it from Manchester. The fan issue is annoying I will have to have a proper look in to the cause, I have a feeling I'm going to see a few bodges on this car as a previous owner must have pulled the eml bulb when the o2 fault came up. 

O2 sensors are easy enough to do yourself just buy a good quality one I.e. Denso and it will have the correct plug on so easy swap once removed. I have had mine now for four years and done over 40k in it now at 96k and is brilliant, useful you can remove rear seats so loads room as a van if needed , 4x4 which great in snow everything you need. I did replace my fifth gear as gear level would vibrate badly when in fifth common fault but once done seems to cure it .

I've, got a denso o2 sensor coming shouldn't be too painful to change I've got the right tool to do the job.  One thing I did notice when driving 70 ish and I ease off the throttle I get a slight wobble from the rear I think 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links