Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy Auris solved

Jezclax

Just thought I would share this.

Since I bought my Auris 6 months ago there's been a speed related "drumming" noise from the rear. At motorway speeds it was a constant thrumming that made the car tiresome to drive. I was convinced it was a wheel bearing, someone else was convinced it was a driveshaft (and coming from the front, obviously). Jacked up each rear wheel. No detectable play at 12/6 or 9/3 o'clock or noise when spinning the wheel. (Also checked fronts) What I did notice was the nearside rear tyre appeared to be quite out of round, Prestivo something or other. The offside tyre (Dunlop) seemed ok. Both tyres approx 5mm tread. No idea on history of either. 

I settled on replacing these tyres, ended up doing all 4 as the fronts were also Prestivo and one had a sidewall cut (though it had passed an MOT). After some research I settled on Falken tyres (225/45 17) and the cheapest local place was Halfords (BTW did a great job, lifted the car properly, didn't damage jacking points or anything, also had a free winter check and tracking done).

The car is transformed. Quiet and smooth. Drove 500 miles over the following weekend, a pleasure. 

Jez

• Like 1

Nice to hear Jez. 

A lesson I learnt a few years back. Tyres can sound like car faults, like wheel bearing, suspension and steering issues. What made your case worse is you bought the car with the problem tyres. I assume the MOT was before you owned the car. What you said about the tyres, fits the description of previous owner buying secondhand tyres to cut costs! In this case the tyres were in a bad state. I bought a used alloy as a spare and it came with a Goodyear tyre is good condition. 

When I got my first Avensis it had four different tyres and handled unpredictably. Soon changed them.

Anyway a great ending.

• Like 1

It's a strange one as looking back through the history on "my toyota", Prestivo seem to be the tyre of choice for the Toyota dealer it was serviced at regularly and from which I bought it. Seems it was fitted there. 

Yes the MOT was done immediately prior to my purchase. 

Still - all sorted now - changing tyres a lot earlier than I would have liked but having four the same gives me more confidence in the car, particularly as winter approaches. 

• Like 1

glad you've got it sorted

a tip when buying a 2nd hand car is to look at the tyre date stamp its in a 4 digit format

something like this 3809 this means the tyre was made in the 38th week of 2009,this will

tell you how old the tyre is,if it is old then the bracing in the tyre can start to break down.

so you maybe better off getting a new set .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links