Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low profile tyres

Charlie boy

Hello everyone, Can anyone tell me if I can change my Auris 1.8T Hybrid low profile tyres for normal ones and what would be involved. I understand about the insurance aspect.

3 hours ago, Charlie boy said:

Hello everyone, Can anyone tell me if I can change my Auris 1.8T Hybrid low profile tyres for normal ones and what would be involved. I understand about the insurance aspect.

Hi there,

The important bit is keeping the overall diameter the same, for the speedometer. So if you want a bigger profile tyre, you will need to change the wheel for a smaller one.

Even changing just the width of the tyre makes a difference to the profile, as it is a percentage of the width.

I guess you have a t spirit with 17" wheels, some people have looked to swap their wheels for the ones of the lower spec models.

Whatever wheel/tyre combination you're looking at, you will need to check the effect on the speedometer reading. It is illegal for the speedometer to be pessimistic (show less than the actual speed). There are websites one can use to calculate how changes in wheels/tyres affect the speedo readings.