Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo x 2015 AB1 rev counter

Shoeiexceed

Hi guy's n gals my better half is learning to drive but struggling without a rev counter.

Is it possible to retro-fit a tacho my local dealer was unable to help and i can't seem to find any info on the web.

appreciate the old Aygo is a simple fix but new gen Aygo seems a little trickier.

Thought i'd try the good old forums as you usually get a sensible reply from a few guru's.

thnx.

Unlike the first generation Aygo, which had a pod-type rev counter (first picture) one could add fairly easily, the current one has the rev counter at the side of the instrument binnacle (second picture):

toyota-aygo-10.jpg

rev counter 1.jpg

Moved to the Aygo club to generate more responses

could you use mirror link and an app on your phone to provide a rev counter

or a head up display like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A8-5-5inch-Car-HUD-Head-Up-Display-with-OBD2-Interface-Plug-/182349237361?hash=item2a74dc8c71:g:V6EAAOSwT4lWSwQ4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi

Same question, easy fit on  a Mk1 but is the new Aygo wired and ready to accept a tacho on the Mk11? 

Thanks

On 12/18/2016 at 3:17 AM, Planemo said:

Or just get a £3 OBD reader and install Torque Pro on your phone. Its ace.

I second that; a bluetooth OBDII adapter, an OBDII app on a smartphone and a car phone holder would do the work without hassle, tweaks and DIY work. You will be able to see a digital (or even analogue) tacho full-screen on the smartphone, along with other useful information (if needed) about the car.

If all else fails, keep this option as an alternative :-) 

• Like 1

Did somebody mention "Torque Pro" and an "OBD2" bluetooth adaptor? :wink:

Like Vassilis and Planemo, I've been banging the drum for ages about how good Torque Pro is, you can install "Torque Lite" for free ( It does have a line of adverts at the bottom unless you pay for the pro version) from "Google Play":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en_GB

See how you get on with it for a few weeks before you pay for the full app and buy an OBD2 adaptor from eBay or Amazon such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Android-Support/dp/B014WHK27W/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503501322&sr=8-11&keywords=obd2+bluetooth

That comes from China so expect to wait about 3 weeks for delivery or pay about £9.00 for the same thing, delivered from the UK in days.

The Revcounter on the Torque pro app that I use every day (I use it for Coolant Temperature and a digital GPS Speedo) matches the revcounter on my Aygo Fire exactly....And I mean exactly!

All you will need is some kind of phone holder that can be stuck in your eyeline on the top of the dashboard, such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Android-Support/dp/B014WHK27W/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503501322&sr=8-11&keywords=obd2+bluetooth

And you're away.

I hope that helps, all the best. :smile:

Edit and P.S. Welcome to the board, Michelle and just to repeat, make sure you get a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor, it fits in under the dash at the bottom of the steering column.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Did somebody mention "Torque Pro" and an "OBD2" bluetooth adaptor? :wink:

I was expecting your answer, so I didn't go into details and specifics about the app :-) 

I am also using Torque (the Pro version now) almost daily, for logging various aspects of my short trips, commuting to and from work. I am not using the rev counter / tacho as I have the Aygo one but I am also keeping an eye on the coolant temp and engine load among others. Plenty of options for a total of about €20 :-D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MichelleLouise said:

Same question, easy fit on  a Mk1 but is the new Aygo wired and ready to accept a tacho on the Mk1

See second post of this thread.

Doubt whether the tacho can be added in the same way as the first generation.

Hi

Same question, easy fit on  a Mk1 but is the new Aygo wired and ready to accept a tacho on the Mk11? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See second post of this thread.

Doubt whether the tacho can be added in the same way as the first generation.

Hi, yes as per lower picture, easy change if wiring in place I guess? Can get hold of a complete unit if it is wired. I dont fancy the app, appreciate the feed back but want a rev counter first, may not get it though lol

Quick question! If you leave an obd scanner plugged in will it not drain your Battery?  

38 minutes ago, Nick Brown said:

Quick question! If you leave an obd scanner plugged in will it not drain your battery?  

Should imagine the OBD2 port only becomes live with the ignition on. If the OBD2 adapter has a system status LED, then it would be easy to check if this is the case.

@Nick Brown and @fordulike

It's a good question, Nick and one I looked into when I got the Torque app.  Over the past 18 months since I got it and have had an OBD2 bluetooth adaptor in my Aygo, I have never had sufficient Battery drain to worry about....If I only used the car once a week or was going on holiday for a fortnight, then I would unplug it to be on the safeside.  For your info, David, The OBD2 port is always live so this is something to think about.

I started off with a basic adaptor but a few months ago, I got a new one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Auto-Scan-Diagnostic-Tool-Switch-/191512152709?hash=item2c97038a85:g:~FoAAOSwzhVWqcgF

That one has an On/Off switch on it and is really good....It just peeps out at the bottom of the steering column, so you can easily see the LED and the on/off switch and I would recommend it as it's an improvement on the other one that I have.  There is no difference in use as the Torque app works just as well (Extremely accurate) but it just adds that peace of mind and is very neat.

I hope that helps and all the best. :smile:

Does the Torque app record info over an entire journey, so one can peruse the data when back home?

Hi David,

Yes, the torque app can monitor info over one journey, a weeks worth of journeys or between petrol fill ups...I fact any way you want to record data, it will do it and you can look at it whenever you like, in or out of the car.  I use mine as a Digital Speedo (very accurate) and a Coolant temperature gauge (Sadly lacking in our Aygos)....However you have up to 5 pages of gauges to go at that you can look at with a swipe on your phone.

As for data logging, @Pytheas is your man....I know that he has been using it for this purpose and must be pleased with it as, like me, he has shelled out nearly £2.00 :ohmy: (....We're not tight in Lancashire, just careful! :wink: ) on the "Pro App".  I know that, if you want to, it can record your journey/journeys on Google Maps but you can log just about anything else...Over to you Vassilis, you know more about this than I do.

To be honest, David, it's worth a go as you can get the "Torque Lite" app for free, that version does have a line of adverts at the bottom of the screen but it will give you the idea....Have fun! :smile:

Crikey, David...I wish I was on commission, I'd have about 50p by now! :wink:

If you've ordered the one with the switch in the link, then it's the one that I got and it takes about 3 weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, you probably already know that but it's worth saying.

All the best! :smile:

2 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

If you've ordered the one with the switch in the link, then it's the one that I got and it takes about 3 weeks to arrive from Hong Kong.

Yeah, in no rush to get it. Thanks for the link.

I ordered one from eBay £3.99 plugged it in works fantastic it's it's amazing the gauges you can put on your phone. 

10 hours ago, Nick Brown said:

I ordered one from eBay £3.99 plugged it in works fantastic it's it's amazing the gauges you can put on your phone. 

And it has had a bit of a issue this morning resulting in a dash full of flashing lights. Oh err missus. Removed from obd port all back to normal! 

I have been using Torque Pro for a couple of years now, although not so much lately. Just something to be aware of - I always left my adaptor (a £4 eBay one) plugged in 24/7, and found that if I left the car for 4 or 5 days the Battery would be really low and a couple of times it would not start the car. I didn't think much of it and just assumed the Battery was on its way out as it looks quite old and I haven't changed it since I bought the car. I didnt think it could be anything to do with the adaptor as I couldn't see how it could possibly use that much power.

I happened to unplug it recently before I went away to Europe for 3 weeks. I returned fully expecting the Battery to be dead but it was fine and started the car just as quickly as if I had left it overnight. I am still finding it hard to believe that the adaptor was the cause of drainage but nothing else has been changed on the car whatsoever. I can't be 100% but just be aware.

It really is a great bit of software though, but I think you would need a much faster adaptor (more expensive) if you wanted to primarily use it as an accurate rev counter as the lag is a little too long (at least with my adaptor). Great fun though - I set up my screeen to run rev counter, timing advance, speed, throttle angle, coolant temp and lateral/decell G force (good fun with the coilovers!).

39 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I didnt think it could be anything to do with the adaptor as I couldn't see how it could possibly use that much power.

If the bluetooth transmitter is always live, then that's probably the cause of the power drainage. My phone drains its Battery much quicker, when used as a bluetooth music player to a bluetooth speaker.

I appreciate that its live whenever plugged in but even so I am surprised that it could flatten a *car* Battery within 4 or 5 days. I cant imagine the bluetooth transmit power is much at all.